Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spanish Surnames

Hi,
    I am still a bit confused about the surname/surnames issue.
    In my Spanish passport I have 2 surnames. The passport looks like this:

(1) Apellidos/Surname/Nom
    SURNAME1
    SURNAME2

(2) Nombre/Given names/Prenoms
    NAME

Then my PR already shows my name as: SURNAME1 SURNAME2, NAME
    Note the position of the comma separating the surname from the name. It seems to be correct. The same as in my passport.

I have checked at the HMRC site and they also know me as: NAME SURNAME1 SURNAME2
    I have read in the resources section that in Britain only 1 surname is allowed.

The doubt is: It seems that the British system has already acepted my 2 surnames as if it was just 1 surname.

Is that fine or should I ask my consulate for the certificate explaining the Spanish law about the 2 surnames?

Thanks
    Regards.

Originally posted by JensCitizen View Post
    Then my PR already shows my name as: SURNAME1 SURNAME2, NAME
    Note the position of the comma separating the surname from the name. It seems to be correct. The same as in my passport.

I have checked at the HMRC site and they also know me as: NAME SURNAME1 SURNAME2
    I have read in the resources section that in Britain only 1 surname is allowed.

The doubt is: It seems that the British system has already acepted my 2 surnames as if it was just 1 surname.

Is that fine or should I ask my consulate for the certificate explaining the Spanish law about the 2 surnames?
    Morning,

I'm not sure what your question relates to, have you obtained British citizenship and are you applying for a UK passport? Or are you submitting any other application?

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

Hello,
      I am starting the Naturalisation process.
      I have read in your step by step guides the issue with the surnames: In Britain there is only ONE surname.

In my original post I was showing the info as it comes in my passport, to explain the format of the Spanish surnames.
      But.... let's asume that my name is Pedro Garcia Lopez

If I search for my info at some British official places, my name comes already in the following format: "Name Surname1 Surname2" so the questions are:

1- Have they accepted Surname1 Surname2 as my British unique surname?
      Then => British identity: Name Surname1 Surname2 => Pedro Garcia Lopez (name=Pedro, surname="Garcia Lopez")
      or
      2- Do they think that Surname1 is my middle name (I do not have one)?
      Then => British identity: Name S1. Surname2 => Pedro G. Lopez
      or
      3- Would they drop Surname2?
      Then => British identity: Name Surname1 => Pedro Garcia
      or
      4- Would they adopt my Surname2 as my actual British unique Surname?
      Then => British identity: Name Surname2 => Pedro Lopez

In all these cases except case 1 the British identity will not match the Spanish one.
      Do I have I to ask my consulate (Spanish) to deliver the certificate explaining that in Spain we have 2 surnames?
      It is a bit confusing.. hence my question.

Thanks.

Comment

Morning,

Have you seen our post about surname certificates? That may be the answer you are looking for: Spanish nationals and surname certificates - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

Working...
        X