Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• completely lost in the forest of (im)possible routed

Hi,
    Let me start off by saying I have been exploring the forum and read through Louis's blogpost on attaining a spouse Visa, and that, for the first time in a while, I did not feel like a failure regarding this topic and received clarity with a much needed dose of humor. THANK YOU! I will be widely recommending it.

Having said that, let me explain our situation a bit.
    My partner and I have decided to enter a civil partnership and will have our ceremony in November or December. My partner is British, I am Croatian and residing in the Netherlands, where we are planning to sign our civil partnership.

Our aims do not SEEM high, but they are proving to be highly difficult to attain. We want to be able to live together, and work in the place we live. Ideally, we would do so where there is most of our family - in the UK. However, at the moment, we would really appreciate ANY suggestion of a place where we would be able to live together and work.

Taking the spouse visa journey seems to be difficult now, as we have read (maybe been misguided by the phrasing) that to be eligible to apply for such a visa, we would need to prove our partnership has lasted for 2 years already? Or have a proof of cohabitation of 2 years?
    I guess my first question is - what kind of route could we possibly take to get a visa for me to enter the UK and live together with my partner?

The second question:
    How will our civil partnership affect my partner’s ability to travel? Is he then subject to Schengen laws, as before Brexit or will he have to always apply for a Visa during visit?

The third question, possibly out of bounds, but maybe you could refer me to another channel:
    What are my partners options in terms of getting a Visa to come live with me in Europe? Is there any route to take, which would allow us to live together and work in a EU country?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH in advance.

My best,

Originally posted by Pippi Longstocking View Post
    Hi,
    Let me start off by saying I have been exploring the forum and read through Louis's blogpost on attaining a spouse Visa, and that, for the first time in a while, I did not feel like a failure regarding this topic and received clarity with a much needed dose of humor. THANK YOU! I will be widely recommending it.

Having said that, let me explain our situation a bit.
    My partner and I have decided to enter a civil partnership and will have our ceremony in November or December. My partner is British, I am Croatian and residing in the Netherlands, where we are planning to sign our civil partnership.

Our aims do not SEEM high, but they are proving to be highly difficult to attain. We want to be able to live together, and work in the place we live. Ideally, we would do so where there is most of our family - in the UK. However, at the moment, we would really appreciate ANY suggestion of a place where we would be able to live together and work.

Taking the spouse visa journey seems to be difficult now, as we have read (maybe been misguided by the phrasing) that to be eligible to apply for such a visa, we would need to prove our partnership has lasted for 2 years already? Or have a proof of cohabitation of 2 years?
    I guess my first question is - what kind of route could we possibly take to get a visa for me to enter the UK and live together with my partner?
    Afternoon,

From the above, it looks to me like you have mixed up the criteria for two different kinds of visas. One is the spousal visa route, which is available to people who are married to someone who is British or settled in the UK or an EEA national with pre-settled status, once the marriage or civil partnership takes place. This visa is subject to the financial requirements you will have read about in the blog post.

The other route you are referring to, which involves two years' cohabitation, would be the EUSS under Surinder Singh, where durable partners of a British citizen who have lived in another EU country for at least two years, can apply under this route. If you didn't live together for at least two years before the end of last year, nor have joint responsibility for a child, then you wouldn't be eligible under this route, the spousal visa route noted above is based on being married or in a civil partnership and does not require two years cohabitation, but it does have all those other requirements you will have observed if you read the post in question.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

The second question:
      How will our civil partnership affect my partner’s ability to travel? Is he then subject to Schengen laws, as before Brexit or will he have to always apply for a Visa during visit?
      Visa requirements are usually based on nationality, if you are Croatian, then you are an EEA national and do not need a Schengen visa regardless of whether you are in a civil partnership with a British person or otherwise. British nationals do not need Schengen visas, in the future, they may need some kind of online entry clearance application, but this hasn't been put in place yet.

The third question, possibly out of bounds, but maybe you could refer me to another channel:
      What are my partners options in terms of getting a Visa to come live with me in Europe? Is there any route to take, which would allow us to live together and work in a EU country?
      The spousal visa route noted above is for people wishing to come to live in the UK with their partner, if you and your partner do not intend to live in the UK, then you need to look at the visas available in the country where you intend to live, since every country has its own rules. As an EEA national, you should be able to sponsor your British partner as a non EU family member in another EU country, other than your own country of citizenship. Also if you wish to live in your own country of citizenship with your British partner, you'll need to find the equivalent of our spousal visa route for your country, which may have very different criteria from the British rules. But that's beyond the scope of this forum, which focuses on UK immigration rules.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Working...
      X