Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual citizenship obligations - Italian/British

Good evening,

I am an Italian citizen and, as for my mother, I may obtain the British citizenship, while retaining the Italian one.
    Assuming I would keep living in Italy, where my fiscal residence is, I would like to know what are the obligations once the citizenship has been accepted: political, administrative, health etc.

I am 55 years old.

Originally posted by Dolphin65 View Post
    Good evening,

I am an Italian citizen and, as for my mother, I may obtain the British citizenship, while retaining the Italian one.
    Assuming I would keep living in Italy, where my fiscal residence is, I would like to know what are the obligations once the citizenship has been accepted: political, administrative, health etc.

I am 55 years old.
    Morning,

If you are not resident in the UK and have no income from the UK then you don't need to register with HMRC nor do UK tax returns.

British nationals living abroad can register to vote in the UK elections, however, the UK does not allow UK citizens who have lived abroad over 15 years, to vote. If you have never lived in the UK, you probably wouldn't be able to vote in UK elections.

Healthcare is based on residence so you should continue to have access to Italian healthcare as usual. In the UK, GP visits and emergency hospital treatment (A&E) are free for all but non emergency treatment is free only for people who are ordinarily resident in the UK. British nationals who have been living abroad would have to pay if they can't show they are ordinarily resident.

The UK state pension is based on contributions paid in regardless of nationality.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Dolphin65 View Post
      Good evening,

I may obtain the British citizenship, while retaining the Italian one.
      Whether the dual nationality Italian-British is obtained via descendant rule or via naturalisation the Italian nationality is kept. Meaning that in whichever way dual nationality is obtained the Italian Government allows dual nationality.

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Thanks for helping

Comment

Hello all!! I'll keep this post alive as I've other questions about obligations dual Italian/British

my family and I got British Nationality earlier on this year.

The lockdown has changed everything and we had to come back to Italy:

2 questions:

1. I have told my council that I left and I'll submit a tax return for the year gone. Anything else to HRMC? Do I need to tell anyone else that I left?
          2. Do you know if I need to advise the italian government (anagrafe) about my dual nationality?

thanks,

Marco.

Comment

Originally posted by marcoM View Post
            Hello all!! I'll keep this post alive as I've other questions about obligations dual Italian/British

2 questions:

1. I have told my council that I left and I'll submit a tax return for the year gone. Anything else to HRMC? Do I need to tell anyone else that I left?
            2. Do you know if I need to advise the italian government (anagrafe) about my dual nationality?

thanks,

Marco.
            ClaudLatina Would you know if they need to notify the Italian authorities? Also, would they need to de-register with AIRE if they are back in Italy?

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by marcoM View Post

2 questions:

thanks,

Marco.
              There is no need to tell the Italian Government you have dual nationality - but I would contact AIRE since you are now back in Italy and are not an 'Italian resident abroad'. The AIRE, where you have registered, should be informed you are back in Italy. Also I would recommend speaking to AIRE about the tax position. I am not sure what needs to be communicated.

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

That's perfect,

thanks!

Marco

Comment

Working...
                X