X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query Once citizenship is acquired

I am sorry if the answer is in the resources, but I had a look and could not see it.
    I have obtained my British Citizenship in January 2020 and have kept my French nationality. Once you obtain British Nationality, are there still restrictions on how many days abroad per year you are allowed and I have a vague memory of something about 5 years? If you leave the UK to live abroad within the 5 years after you get your citizenship you can still lose it???

I would also like to know if pensions are affected if you go and live abroad: national pension and teachers pension in my case.

And finally, because I have dual citizenship, I don't really know what to do with my EHIC card: apparently EU citizens have to reapply for a new one but not British Citizens...
    Thanks a lot in advance for your advice, which has always been extremely helpful.

Originally posted by Grouchon View Post
    I am sorry if the answer is in the resources, but I had a look and could not see it.
    I have obtained my British Citizenship in January 2020 and have kept my French nationality. Once you obtain British Nationality, are there still restrictions on how many days abroad per year you are allowed and I have a vague memory of something about 5 years? If you leave the UK to live abroad within the 5 years after you get your citizenship you can still lose it???
    Afternoon,

Once you are British, there are no restrictions. The 5 years you refer to are for people with settled status, which lapses after 5 years. British citizens can stay away as long as they like, since they have the Right of Abode, an unconditional right to live in the UK.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

I would also like to know if pensions are affected if you go and live abroad: national pension and teachers pension in my case.
      You may want to look at this official page: Benefits and pensions for UK nationals in the EU, EEA or Switzerland - GOV.UK

...where they say:
      UK workplace pensions

UK law allows for workplace pensions to be paid overseas. The government does not expect this to change because the UK has left the EU.

If you have any questions, contact your pension provider.

If your workplace pension is paid into a UK bank account, your bank should contact you if they need to change the way you receive your pension because the UK has left the EU.
      ...and:

UK State Pension

You can carry on receiving your UK State Pension if you move to live in the EU, EEA or Switzerland and you can still claim your UK State Pension from these countries.

Your UK State Pension will be increased each year in the EU in line with the rate paid in the UK.

You can also count relevant social security contributions made in EU countries to meet the qualifying conditions for a UK State Pension.

This guidance is for UK nationals, however these rules on the State Pension apply to everyone regardless of your nationality and regardless of when you moved.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

And finally, because I have dual citizenship, I don't really know what to do with my EHIC card: apparently EU citizens have to reapply for a new one but not British Citizens...
        If you look here: Healthcare for UK nationals visiting the EU - GOV.UK

...they say:
        If your EHIC is still in date, you do not need to apply for a new GHIC.

They’re both valid if you’re travelling to an EU country.
        So it's not necessary to apply for a new one, this information changed around Christmas Eve, up until then, they were saying the old EHICs would stop being valid at the end of last year, so a lot of us rushed to apply for new ones, but if yours is still valid, you may continue using it.

Comment

Working...
        X