Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Referred to Lawyer Name change in Scotland

Hi there,

I've searched the forum to no avail. I was wondering if anyone has any information on how to go about doing a name change in Scotland as an EU National.

My country of birth allows a name change with good reason, they cite "using a different name in the UK" as a worthy reason. However, since this is a change of my first name, and not for marriage, I don't have evidence for any of the other good reasons. Therefore it will be easier to change it in the UK then show this to my home country.

So I am wondering how an EU National can do this from Scotland? England has the deed poll which I could use, but I'm wondering if this still applies when you live in Scotland?

Any help appreciated.

​​

Veera T (lawyer) Would you be able to comment on this?

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by euinscotland View Post
      Hi there,

I've searched the forum to no avail. I was wondering if anyone has any information on how to go about doing a name change in Scotland as an EU National.

My country of birth allows a name change with good reason, they cite "using a different name in the UK" as a worthy reason. However, since this is a change of my first name, and not for marriage, I don't have evidence for any of the other good reasons. Therefore it will be easier to change it in the UK then show this to my home country.

So I am wondering how an EU National can do this from Scotland? England has the deed poll which I could use, but I'm wondering if this still applies when you live in Scotland?

Any help appreciated.

​​
      Melissa V (lawyer) would you be able to comment? Many thanks for your time.

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

I'm ever so sorry but I am not familiar with the name change laws in Scotland. I therefore can't help with this question. My apologies.

I am a Solicitor and Head of Immigration at Wells Burcombe Solicitors LLP, a firm Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority SRA No. 488294. I am also a volunteer with UKCEN, where I provide one-off advice on a pro-bono basis. This advice should not be considered a substitute for formal legal advice. Please see Melissa V for full details.

Comment

Melissa V do you know who I could contact to find out or where to look? I don't mind researching more if I knew where to look (as I've exhausted Google really) Thanks.

Comment

Hi there,

Any help appreciated.

​​
            Saaima K (lawyer based in Glasgow) would you be able to help with the above question? Many thanks.

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

I think your safest and best bet would be to find a Scottish lawyer who will either know the answer or can easily find out for you. I'm not sure if I can recommend specific firms on the forum but if so then I will do so.

I am a Solicitor and Head of Immigration at Wells Burcombe Solicitors LLP, a firm Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority SRA No. 488294. I am also a volunteer with UKCEN, where I provide one-off advice on a pro-bono basis. This advice should not be considered a substitute for formal legal advice. Please see Melissa V for full details.

Comment

Hello,

You will need to do a name change affidavit. If you need assistance, I’m happy to help.

thank you

I am an Immigration Adviser with JK Law Solicitors & Notaries Public. I am also a volunteer with UKCEN, where I provide one-off advice on a pro-bono basis. This advice should not be considered a substitute for formal legal advice. Please see Saaima K for full details.

Comment

Do you know who I could contact to find out or where to look? I don't mind researching more if I knew where to look (as I've exhausted Google really) Thanks.
                  Morning,

You will find Saaima's details linked to from her signature: Saaima K - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Saaima K thank you! Can I just go to any notary to do this? And will the affidavit then be acceptable proof to update my bank account etc?

Comment

Saaima K thank you! Can I just go to any notary to do this? And will the affidavit then be acceptable proof to update my bank account etc?
                      Saaima K

Comment

Working...
                      X