Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benefits and citizenship

Hello

With the settlement deadline of 30th June, I was wondering today where do I stand being in receipt of benefits!

When I applied I had a residence card now I have citizenship. Do I need to inform them that I have acquired citizenship or is it a data base they can check for those receiving benefits?

I am just thinking my benefits will stop on 1 st on July if they do not know I am
    citizen now.

Does anyone know how this work?
    Many thanks

Originally posted by Natalia W View Post
    Hello

With the settlement deadline of 30th June, I was wondering today where do I stand being in receipt of benefits!

When I applied I had a residence card now I have citizenship. Do I need to inform them that I have acquired citizenship or is it a data base they can check for those receiving benefits?

I am just thinking my benefits will stop on 1 st on July if they do not know I am citizen now.
    Afternoon,

If you didn't apply for settled status in order to apply for citizenship, because you had a PR card, and that's all the DWP were aware of, then they may not know that you have become British, I doubt there is a database they can check for that, unlike the EUSS records which are held digitally. I've heard that the DWP had been sending out letters to EU nationals to tell them their benefits would stop if they didn't apply before the end of June, which prompted those who had become British to contact them to inform them.

If you haven't received anything, you may still want to contact them, otherwise I wouldn't put them past them to just stop the benefits and ask questions later (they did so with me years ago). Obviously you will still be able to provide proof of citizenship, re-start the claim and get any payments due (I did), but it would probably be more hassle and may also mean spending some time without any money while they sort it all out, so you should contact them and inform them.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Working...
    X