Please support us so we can help others

>> CLICK HERE TO START A NEW POST <<

(you need to log in to post)

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to exchange a category C+E Portuguese drivers licence but originally obtained in a recognised Non EEA country

Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to exchange a category C+E Portuguese drivers licence but originally obtained in a recognised Non EEA country

I exchanged my Australian drivers license into a UK one back in 1994 and was issued a with a heavy vehicle category C too. Since working in the UK i did a practical driving test and obtained my D and D+E categories in the UK. I returned back to Australia and obtained a HC class which i exchanged for a category C+E Portuguese drivers licence a few years later. i believe since 1994 the UK has stopped exchanging heavy vehicle classes from recognised Non EEA countries and now only accept car and motorbike conversions . So will the category C+E Portuguese drivers licence but originally obtained from an Australian drivers license be allowed to be added onto my UK license as that's the only class i am missing on my UK drivers license? I was lead to believe that i would not be allowed to drive a class C+E in the UK with my Portuguese license since it was exchanged and first obtained in Australia ? Thus would only be allowed to drive all the other classes i.e C, c1+E and D, D+E on my UK license and i would still have to sit for a test class C+E in the UK or EU even though I'm allowed to drive C+E in the EU on my Portuguese drivers licence?

Originally posted by ausfam View Post
    I exchanged my Australian drivers license into a UK one back in 1994 and was issued a with a heavy vehicle category C too. Since working in the UK i did a practical driving test and obtained my D and D+E categories in the UK. I returned back to Australia and obtained a HC class which i exchanged for a category C+E Portuguese drivers licence a few years later. i believe since 1994 the UK has stopped exchanging heavy vehicle classes from recognised Non EEA countries and now only accept car and motorbike conversions . So will the category C+E Portuguese drivers licence but originally obtained from an Australian drivers license be allowed to be added onto my UK license as that's the only class i am missing on my UK drivers license? I was lead to believe that i would not be allowed to drive a class C+E in the UK with my Portuguese license since it was exchanged and first obtained in Australia ? Thus would only be allowed to drive all the other classes i.e C, c1+E and D, D+E on my UK license and i would still have to sit for a test class C+E in the UK or EU even though I'm allowed to drive C+E in the EU on my Portuguese drivers licence?
    Morning,

I'm afraid this is a bit beyond the scope of this group, which is dedicated mainly to UK immigration. You need to check on the official website, whether you can drive in the UK with your current license: Driving in Great Britain on a non-GB licence - GOV.UK

And if you need to exchange your license: Exchange a foreign driving licence - GOV.UK

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Your original license was Australian: as that country being a "designated territory" you can drive with it up to 1 year after you become resident. Remember to exchange it before it expires.
      Attached Files
      I am not affiliated to any firm and I am doing this independently on my own, no one is paying me for this.
      I am not one of the forum volunteers.
      I hope to start working as paralegal soon.
      If I helped you, a thumbs-up is always appreciated.

Comment

Working...
      X