Please support us so we can help others

>> CLICK HERE TO START A NEW POST <<

(you need to log in to post)

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electoral register

Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Query Electoral register

    Hey guys, thanks again for all the fab work you are doing!

    I have a query to which I am struggling to find an answer.

    I now have settled status after applying with PR (21 years in the UK). Does this mean that I have now lost the right to vote in local elections and feature on the electoral register? I can't seem to find an answer to this anywhere.

    I am asking this now, because:

    A; This weeks freemovement.org.uk newsletter states that: "...other lawful settled residents such as holders of indefinite leave to remain and EU citizens have the right to vote in local elections only." This would indicate yes, I can still vote??

    B; I moved house in June (within the same local authority area). In August I got a letter from the council to say that they had been notified that I was no longer at the old address and to register on the electoral roll at my new address. I duly went online and did so. My partner, however, (British) dragged his feet and took longer to register. When he did, it appeared I wasn't listed at the new address. Only last week I checked my credit file, and it states that I am not on the electoral register at all. I thought this might be due to a looming Brexit and the council anticipating that I would not be eligible in a few months anyway, so not bothering with the admin involved. Am I correct?

    Thanking you in advance...
    Lex


  • #2
    Originally posted by Lex View Post
    Hey guys, thanks again for all the fab work you are doing!

    I have a query to which I am struggling to find an answer.

    I now have settled status after applying with PR (21 years in the UK). Does this mean that I have now lost the right to vote in local elections and feature on the electoral register? I can't seem to find an answer to this anywhere.
    Hello,

    Having settled status, in itself, does not deprive EU nationals of their right to vote in local elections, however, it is my understanding that this right will go due to Brexit.

    Originally posted by Lex View Post
    I am asking this now, because:

    A; This weeks freemovement.org.uk newsletter states that: "...other lawful settled residents such as holders of indefinite leave to remain and EU citizens have the right to vote in local elections only." This would indicate yes, I can still vote??
    The info regarding who can vote in local elections is here: Types of election, referendums, and who can vote: Local government - GOV.UK

    ...where it says:

    To vote in a local government election you must:
    • be registered to vote
    • be 18 or over on the day of the election (‘polling day’) (16 or over in Scotland)
    • be a British, Irish, Commonwealth or EU citizen
    • be registered at an address in the area you want to vote in
    • not be legally excluded from voting
    Originally posted by Lex View Post

    B; I moved house in June (within the same local authority area). In August I got a letter from the council to say that they had been notified that I was no longer at the old address and to register on the electoral roll at my new address. I duly went online and did so. My partner, however, (British) dragged his feet and took longer to register. When he did, it appeared I wasn't listed at the new address. Only last week I checked my credit file, and it states that I am not on the electoral register at all. I thought this might be due to a looming Brexit and the council anticipating that I would not be eligible in a few months anyway, so not bothering with the admin involved. Am I correct?
    According to the above, you may not be correct, I'd suggest contacting your council.

    I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

    Comment

    Working...
    X