X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lithuanian nationality provisions

What may be of interest to some is that I am Lithuanian, and thus would normally lose my Lithuanian citizenship upon acquiring another country's passport. However, there have been some changes in the Lithuanian legislation, allowing one to retain the Lithuanian citizenship IF one's parent/grandparent was the holder of Lithuanian passport in 1940, and then had been deported by the Soviets. Worth looking into that if this is your family's story (and there would be many such family stories...) Mentioning it here as I stumbled upon this recently introduced clause by accident. I took no chances and received a written confirmation from the Lithuanian equivalent of the 'Home Office' that I would, indeed, be able to retain my citizenship, on the basis of the documents I was able to submit.
    So, relieved, and now just waiting for that citizenship ceremony..!

Originally posted by thankful View Post
    What may be of interest to some is that I am Lithuanian, and thus would normally lose my Lithuanian citizenship upon acquiring another country's passport. However, there have been some changes in the Lithuanian legislation, allowing one to retain the Lithuanian citizenship IF one's parent/grandparent was the holder of Lithuanian passport in 1940, and then had been deported by the Soviets. Worth looking into that if this is your family's story (and there would be many such family stories...) Mentioning it here as I stumbled upon this recently introduced clause by accident. I took no chances and received a written confirmation from the Lithuanian equivalent of the 'Home Office' that I would, indeed, be able to retain my citizenship, on the basis of the documents I was able to submit.
    So, relieved, and now just waiting for that citizenship ceremony..!
    That is very interesting indeed!

Thanks for sharing!

Many countries haver rather intricate nationality laws, that's why our recommendation is always to check with the relevant authorities before applying for British citizenship, as the ins and outs of all this are often well hidden away.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Working...
    X