X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHS access for EU retiree with pre-settled status

Hi, my mother is planning to move to and settle in the UK in March this year, and apply for pre-settled status. I am struggling to figure out whether she will have access to the NHS or not because she is retired. To confuse matters further she draws a pension from the US, where she currently lives (and is a dual US/EU citizen).

I picked up a registration form at my GP and there is a section on the form that says "complete this section if you live in another EEA country, or have moved to the UK to stud or retire... your EHIC, PRC or S1 form information will be shared with the Department for Work and Pensions for the purpose of recovering your NHS costs from your home country."

Does she need an S1 form? Can she even obtain one if she doesn't have an EU pension? Thanks in advance for your help.

Originally posted by squid View Post
    Hi, my mother is planning to move to and settle in the UK in March this year, and apply for pre-settled status. I am struggling to figure out whether she will have access to the NHS or not because she is retired.
    Morning,

If you look at this post: Your rights with settled and pre-settled status - benefits, children and absences from the UK - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

...it says:

Your rights with settled or pre-settled status

You’ll be able to:
    • work in the UK
    • use the NHS
    • enrol in education or continue studying
    • access public funds such as benefits and pensions, if you’re eligible for them
    • travel in and out of the UK
    I trust that answers your question.

To confuse matters further she draws a pension from the US, where she currently lives (and is a dual US/EU citizen).
    That's not relevant for applications under the EUSS, since they don't rely on any financial requirements, just UK residence.

I picked up a registration form at my GP and there is a section on the form that says "complete this section if you live in another EEA country, or have moved to the UK to stud or retire... your EHIC, PRC or S1 form information will be shared with the Department for Work and Pensions for the purpose of recovering your NHS costs from your home country."

Does she need an S1 form? Can she even obtain one if she doesn't have an EU pension? Thanks in advance for your help.
    The S1 form is for people in receipt of a state pension from another EU country, not from outside the EU, however, even without it, EU nationals with status under the EUSS are eligible for NHS healthcare, provided they are ordinarily resident in the UK, a condition that also applies to British citizens.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Working...
    X