Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query EHIC validity after 31 Dec 2020?

I am a Finnish citizen, permanently resident in the UK and have settled status. I am now temporarily in Finland and will remain here until next year and am worried about my health care here post-Brexit in case I should need a doctor/hospital. Turns out my travel insurance is not valid and it is very difficult/impossible to get travel insurance (particularly anything that would cover covid) once you are already out of the country of residence. This NHS web page seems to say that health care with (new) EHIC would continue even after Brexit for UK-based EU citizens visiting EU countries but you'd need to apply for a new card, but you cannot apply for them yet. This is cutting things pretty short! I have a current valid EHIC card issued in the UK.

Applying for healthcare cover abroad (GHIC and EHIC) - NHS

It also says, though: "If you're visiting an EU country over the Christmas and New Year period, your UK EHIC entitlements will continue until you leave that country to either:
    • return to the UK
    • visit another EU country
    Have I interpreted this correctly? Can I safely assume that I will continue to receive health care in Finland with the same cost as if I was still resident here with my current EHIC card?

Thank you!

Originally posted by Lucina View Post
    I am a Finnish citizen, permanently resident in the UK and have settled status. I am now temporarily in Finland and will remain here until next year and am worried about my health care here post-Brexit in case I should need a doctor/hospital. Turns out my travel insurance is not valid and it is very difficult/impossible to get travel insurance (particularly anything that would cover covid) once you are already out of the country of residence.
    Morning,

Most travel insurance policies do not cover Covid unless specifically stated in the policy, but then the likelyhood of catching it, and requiring hospital treatment for it, is also very low. There's a lot more to travel insurance than medical treatment, it also relates to flights, accommodation, lost possessions, etc. and this is where most of the issues are likely to crop up, i.e. having to self-isolate and not being able to travel on your booked flights, flight cancellations, etc. and associated costs of all this.

Travel insurance covering pre-existing conditions that would put people at risk of hospitalisation are always likely to cost much more than ordinary policies.

This NHS web page seems to say that health care with (new) EHIC would continue even after Brexit for UK-based EU citizens visiting EU countries but you'd need to apply for a new card, but you cannot apply for them yet. This is cutting things pretty short! I have a current valid EHIC card issued in the UK.
    That's because the new cards will only be for travel from next year.

Applying for healthcare cover abroad (GHIC and EHIC) - NHS

It also says, though: "If you're visiting an EU country over the Christmas and New Year period, your UK EHIC entitlements will continue until you leave that country to either:
    • return to the UK
    • visit another EU country
    Have I interpreted this correctly? Can I safely assume that I will continue to receive health care in Finland with the same cost as if I was still resident here with my current EHIC card?

Thank you!
    That's exactly what it says, that your card will continue to be valid for this visit, basically as long as you don't leave Finland.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Many thanks! It is really the health care side of things that I worried about and appreciate the confirmation that I read the info correctly.

Comment

I just wanted to agree with you Lucina. It's now 15 December and I'd like to apply for a new EHIC for the spring of 2021 as I will be traveling to the EU, and I'm alarmed that no process appears to be in place for that yet. If anyone has heard anything about when the application will be made available, I'd love to hear about it. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by brightstar View Post
          I just wanted to agree with you Lucina. It's now 15 December and I'd like to apply for a new EHIC for the spring of 2021 as I will be traveling to the EU, and I'm alarmed that no process appears to be in place for that yet. If anyone has heard anything about when the application will be made available, I'd love to hear about it. Thank you!
          That's right, the option for EU nationals in the UK to apply isn't live yet, probably because, as per posts above, the current EHIC cards will still be valid for any trips you start before the end of the year, even if you don't come back until next year, as long as it's the same trip. So the new option isn't there yet.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

It seems slighty concerning that in September the NHS stated that EU citizens (I assume with SS) are eligible.

Link

It also stated that the next revision would be in 2023

Now 3 months later we find:
            That GOV.uk still states EU citizens

nhsbsa.nhs.uk states something confusing and EU citizens would be able to apply in due course.

If you apply you are not eligible but can apply later in the year (What Year?)

It also does not clarify what EU citizens (with PSS, SS) ILR.

Comment

Originally posted by Ankhenaten View Post
              It seems slighty concerning that in September the NHS stated that EU citizens (I assume with SS) are eligible.

Link

It also stated that the next revision would be in 2023

Now 3 months later we find:
              That GOV.uk still states EU citizens

nhsbsa.nhs.uk states something confusing and EU citizens would be able to apply in due course.

If you apply you are not eligible but can apply later in the year (What Year?)

It also does not clarify what EU citizens (with PSS, SS) ILR.
              Morning,

The screen that matters is the one that says "in due course". This is because the current EHICs are still valid for trips to the EU started before the end of the year, even if they end next year, as long as you don't leave the country you are visiting as discussed above, so you'd only need the new EHIC if your trip started on or after New Year's Day.

We don't know yet whether EUSS status will be required from January for this purpose, since it's not officially required for anything else till July 1st, but obviously both settled and pre-settled would be valid if this was a requirement. However, there are people with ILR which is not settled status. As this is run by the NHS rather than the Home Office, I've not asked this question to them, we just have to wait a few days for them to make the application available, which would have to be before the end of the year.

Comment

Working...
              X