Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC)

Hi Site Admin

I'd be interested to gather your views on applying for a GHIC as an EU citizen in the UK with Settled Status.

In particular:
    1. Could this be used for proof private medical insurance in future AN applications?
    2. Does it do more damage than not for your AN application prospects?
    3. How could an EU citizen apply for an EHIC from their respective country, in particular Germany, when residing in the UK?

Thanks

Originally posted by Bethoven126 View Post
    Hi Site Admin

I'd be interested to gather your views on applying for a GHIC as an EU citizen in the UK with Settled Status.
    Afternoon,

First of all, if you are an EU national with EUSS status, you get an EHIC rather than a GHIC. The difference is that the GHIC cannot be used in the non EU countries Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland, while the EHIC is also valid in those countries, so the EHIC is better than the GHIC. It is my understanding that UK nationals who are not dual EU/UK citizens can only get the GHIC and not the EHIC.

Also note that, if you have an EHIC issued before the end of last year, it will continue to be valid till its printed expiry date. The NHS website was saying they wouldn't be valid from this year, however, they changed this on Christmas Eve, after the final deal with the EU was signed off, that means if you have a valid one, you can continue to use it till it expires.

You can also apply for a new EHIC as an EU national, but you don't need to if yours is still valid, as it covers the exact same countries (as opposed to the GHIC).

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

In particular:
      Could this be used for proof private medical insurance in future AN applications?
      1. No, and there is no requirement to have medical insurance for AN applications, there's so much confusion about this, the requirement is just lawful residence, and private health insurance was only required to cover periods of studies or self-sufficiency IN THE PAST, before getting pre-settled or settled status. Once you have EUSS status you are lawfully resident and wouldn't need it even if you were a student or self-sufficient.
      2. In any case, CSI doesn't have retroactive effect, so if people didn't have it when it was required (i.e. if they were students or self-sufficient BEFORE getting EUSS status), then getting it now wouldn't change the past; and, finally
      3. An EHIC issued by the UK is only for emergency medical treatment outside the UK, and they were never valid to cover the CSI requirement, only EHICs from another EU country were considered for this purpose.

Does it do more damage than not for your AN application prospects?
      It has no impact whatsoever, since the EHIC card is for travel abroad, nothing to do with citizenship.

How could an EU citizen apply for an EHIC from their respective country, in particular Germany, when residing in the UK?
      They can't, if they live in the UK they need to apply in the UK but, as above, this has nothing whatsoever to do with citizenship, it would have no retroactive effect for previous years and, from July 1st, every EU national will need settled or pre-settled status, which means we can all forget about this infamous CSI requirement once and for all!

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Excellent very helpful as always Site Admin

Comment

Working...
        X