Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHS and AE

Hi everyone need help please
    my wife sister is from EU and she moved UK with her seven year old son she granted pss in Dec and his son applied in Feb not even got coa yet only has uan number
    Her son was not felling well and had too much sugar in blood and fall down in gp practice and they reffered to accident and emergency department in hospital
    At reception ask can we see her is he eligible for treatment one nurse came and she was asking for other details like what he had all day so conversation got cut off we got busy and other guy went to recaption and she told if we don't have this you will get hefty bill
    When I want to ask again her shift was change new lady said she don't know nothing about this all she need is our gp info that's all
    I spoke with my friends they said you will get bill from NHS do we really get bill
    Mum has pss son only have uan number
    Can we avoid that bill ?

Originally posted by Manraj View Post
    Hi everyone need help please
    my wife sister is from EU and she moved UK with her seven year old son she granted pss in Dec and his son applied in Feb not even got coa yet only has uan number
    Her son was not felling well and had too much sugar in blood and fall down in gp practice and they reffered to accident and emergency department in hospital
    At reception ask can we see her is he eligible for treatment one nurse came and she was asking for other details like what he had all day so conversation got cut off we got busy and other guy went to recaption and she told if we don't have this you will get hefty bill
    When I want to ask again her shift was change new lady said she don't know nothing about this all she need is our gp info that's all
    I spoke with my friends they said you will get bill from NHS do we really get bill
    Mum has pss son only have uan number
    Can we avoid that bill ?
    Morning,

I'm sorry to hear your nephew hasn't been well.

You may want to see this official page: NHS entitlements: migrant health guide - GOV.UK

...where they have:
    The National Health Service (Charges to Overseas Visitors) Regulations 2015 and government guidance on overseas visitors hospital charging regulations outline the NHS services that are currently free of charge irrespective of an overseas visitor’s country of normal residence (as long as they have not travelled to the UK for the purpose of seeking that treatment). These services are:
    • accident and emergency services, such as those provided at an A&E department, walk-in centre, minor injuries unit or urgent care centre (not including emergency services provided after being admitted as an inpatient, or at a follow-up outpatient appointment, for which charges must be levied unless the overseas visitor is exempt)
    As can be seen above, A&E services are always free, even if you are only a visitor here, so there shouldn't be any charge for that, the reason they ask is in case the patient needs to be admitted to hospital for further monitoring or treatment, which is where they would be allowed to charge.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Also note the following regarding further treatment:

Hospital treatment

Hospital treatment is free of charge for people who are ordinarily resident in the UK. This does not depend on nationality, payment of UK taxes, National Insurance contributions, being registered with a GP, having an NHS number, or owning property in the UK.

To be considered ordinarily resident, you must be living in the UK on a lawful and properly settled basis for the time being.

Since 6 April 2015, non-EEA nationals who are subject to immigration control must have the immigration status of indefinite leave to remain at the time of treatment and be properly settled, to be considered ordinarily resident. This requirement will also apply to EEA and Swiss nationals who move to the UK on or after 1 January 2021.

If you are a family member of an EEA national who is resident in the UK, you may not be subject to immigration control even if you are from outside the EEA.
      So, if there was nothing further from the hospital beyond A&E, then there should be no charge regardless of status. If there was further hospital treatment, it should be covered as above. Even if she did receive a bill in error, this could easily be challenged. Do let us know if there are any issues.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Working...
      X