X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK State Pension for EU citizens who won't be applying for Settled Status

Hello to all, this is a genuine question. I am a German citizen who is planning to move to Germany in February 2021. However I will be 66 yrs old in June 2021 (new retirement age in UK). I will not be applying for Settled Status for personal reasons. Will I still qualify for UK pension without applying for SS?, whether there is a deal or no deal?. In June 2021 i will have contributed 20 yrs National Insurance Contributions by then. My nerves are absolutely shattered, so much so that I'm receiving treatment from the NHS because of the state of my mental health. I have been on the receiving end of xenophobic, racist remarks regularly over the last 18 months or so. I am afraid to leave my flat. Reading between the lines "State Pension" is a right and not a "Benefit" and cannot be held from me - is this a correct assumption? I would dreally appreciate your comments/advice concerning this issue. Thank you.

Originally posted by uwe View Post
    Hello to all, this is a genuine question. I am a German citizen who is planning to move to Germany in February 2021. However I will be 66 yrs old in June 2021 (new retirement age in UK). I will not be applying for Settled Status for personal reasons.
    Morning,

We strongly recommend applying for settled status regardless of personal feelings; just like most of us would rather not have to pay for car insurance to drive or life insurance with a mortgage, but it is a requirement, and, unlike these other requirements, settled status is completely free.

Even if you think you will not be coming back, it will not hurt in any way, to have settled status, which will only lapse after spending five years or longer, out of the UK.

Will I still qualify for UK pension without applying for SS?,
    The UK state pension is based on NICs paid, but, as above, we recommend applying for settled status and there's is no reason not to apply, as the whole process can be completed in a few minutes.

whether there is a deal or no deal?.
    The deal has now been ratified by all parties.

In June 2021 i will have contributed 20 yrs National Insurance Contributions by then.
    You can view your NI records online: Check your National Insurance record - GOV.UK

You can also get a pension forecast to see how much you can expect: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK

Reading between the lines "State Pension" is a right and not a "Benefit" and cannot be held from me - is this a correct assumption? I would dreally appreciate your comments/advice concerning this issue. Thank you.
    This is the information about the UK state pension for people retiring abroad: State Pension if you retire abroad - GOV.UK

Our recommendation is, and will always be, to apply for settled status if eligible.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Thank you very much for getting back to me. I have received my pension forecast and a record of my NI records about a month ago.
      The crux of my post is really as follows : - Is Settled Status a pre requisite/ requirement/ condition to qualify for my UK State Pension after 31/12/2020? I honestly thought that state pensions were a " Right " and not a " Benefit "
      Thank you in advance for your response and I'm sorry to be a pain!

Comment

Thank you very much for getting back to me. I have received my pension forecast and a record of my NI records about a month ago.
        The crux of my post is really as follows : - Is Settled Status a pre requisite/ requirement/ condition to qualify for my UK State Pension after 31/12/2020? I honestly thought that state pensions were a " Right " and not a " Benefit "
        The state pension is not a benefit, since its based on contributions paid in and is payable to anyone regardless of financial situation, i.e. even millionaires, people who own several properties and those with other incomes such as rental income, private pensions and investments, can get it. Pension credit, on the other hand, is a benefit, since it's means tested and subject to the claimant living in the UK.

There are UK state pensioners who a non UK nationals and who will not be eligible for settled status because they moved out of the UK more than 5 years ago and they should still receive their state pension as usual (I know one such person), however, the various resources do refer to the need for status, such as: EU citizens and settled status after Brexit | Age UK

...where it says:

How can I protect my rights?

After Brexit, you will need pre-settled or settled status in order to:
        • stay in the UK for more than 3 months
        • work
        • study
        • use the NHS
        • claim State Pension
        • rent a home.
        As previously stated, the best thing to do would simply be just to apply for settled status.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Thanks for your detailed response..... so in other words, if I leave the UK for Germany before 30/6/2021 ( if there is a deal) I will qualify for a UK state pension based on my National Insurance Contributions, yes?...and not whether I've got Settled Status or not.
          I'm sorry to be a nuisance!

Comment

Thanks for your detailed response..... so in other words, if I leave the UK for Germany before 30/6/2021 ( if there is a deal) I will qualify for a UK state pension based on my National Insurance Contributions, yes?...and not whether I've got Settled Status or not.
            I'm sorry to be a nuisance!
            We have already covered the fact that there is a deal already in place, which has now been signed off by all parties.

The date you mention is the absolute deadline to apply for settled status, however, it is likely that status under the EUSS will be required from next January.

I can only reiterate what I have already stated twice above, our recommendation would be, for anyone eligible, to apply for settled status, there simply is no reason not to apply.

Comment

Thank you very much for your time and effort. UKCEN is doing a wonderful job in helping EU citizens. Have wonderful day!

Comment

Working...
              X