Please support us so we can help others

>> CLICK HERE TO START A NEW POST <<

(you need to log in to post)

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Annual increases of UK pension

Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Annual increases of UK pension

    I am an Italian citizen, single no children, who has lived and worked in UK since 1985, I have Settled Status, I have 4 more years to reach my pension age. I am considering whether to apply for citizenship mainly to protect my pension should I wish to retire in Italy one day, and should the UK exit the EU without an agreement. Reading previous answers I now understand that I will be able to receive my pension even if I decide to move to Italy after 2021 but the only uncertain point is whether my pension will increase with inflation, as this is subject to the results of the current negotiations between UK and EU. Am I correct? Thank you for your help

  • #2
    Originally posted by Lacreativa View Post
    I am an Italian citizen, single no children, who has lived and worked in UK since 1985, I have Settled Status, I have 4 more years to reach my pension age. I am considering whether to apply for citizenship mainly to protect my pension
    Hello,

    The UK state pension is based on the amount of NICs paid, nationality doesn't come into it at all.

    Originally posted by Lacreativa View Post

    should I wish to retire in Italy one day, and should the UK exit the EU without an agreement.
    The UK already exited the EU with an agreement at the end of January.

    Originally posted by Lacreativa View Post

    Reading previous answers I now understand that I will be able to receive my pension even if I decide to move to Italy after 2021 but the only uncertain point is whether my pension will increase with inflation, as this is subject to the results of the current negotiations between UK and EU. Am I correct? Thank you for your help
    The UK state pension is payable in any country, however, it only increases in certain countries, which currently include all the EEA countries, but also some outside the EEA. If you want to read more about this subject, you may want to look here (long read): Social Security and Pension aspects of the Immigration and Social Security Co-ordination (EU Withdrawal) Bill – Cosmopolis

    But nationality doesn't come into it at all, being a British national wouldn't give any advantage when it comes to uprating of pensions.

    I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thank you for the answers. I read the long read and understand a bit more about the pension increase situation.

      May I also ask, is SS subject to residency? If I do decide to move back to Italy I will need to also move my residency to that country in order to access for example the health system. Would this cause a change to my SS rights (ie receiving my pension)?
      Equally, if for any reasons I am unable to return to UK before 5 years expire, and therefore lose SS, will I lose entitlement to receive my UK state pension?
      Thank you for your help

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Lacreativa View Post
        Thank you for the answers. I read the long read and understand a bit more about the pension increase situation.

        May I also ask, is SS subject to residency? If I do decide to move back to Italy I will need to also move my residency to that country in order to access for example the health system. Would this cause a change to my SS rights (ie receiving my pension)?
        Settled status, healthcare and pensions all have different criteria.
        • Settled status is lost after spending 5 continuous years living abroad, but the clock does reset with a visit, say, a week in the UK.
        • Healthcare requires both to have a valid immigration status (such as settled status) AND being ordinarily resident, and even British nationals have to pay for non-emergency hospital treatment if they have been living abroad, at least until they can be, once more, regarded as ordinarily resident in the UK, and pretty much the same would apply to settled status, that means you could come back and have access to healthcare if you move back and establish residence in the UK, but not if you've just arrived after an extended period living abroad.
        • We have already discussed pensions and how moving abroad could affect them, which is the same for British pensioners retiring abroad.

        Originally posted by Lacreativa View Post
        Equally, if for any reasons I am unable to return to UK before 5 years expire, and therefore lose SS, will I lose entitlement to receive my UK state pension?
        Thank you for your help
        You shouldn't lose your pension if you had status when you retired abroad but, if you are going to be living in Italy, which isn't too far away, it should be possible to return to the UK often enough not to lose settled status, as, technically, it would only require one visit every five years to keep it alive in case one day you decided to move back to the UK, although you would then have to spend some time living here before you can access benefits and free hospital care.



        I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

        Comment


        • #5
          Yes I understand that coming back every 5 yrs is the safest thing to do. I am 61 and able to travel at the moment, but who knows what might be in 15-20 years time. I am trying to think ahead about all possibilities; I am a single person and have no family in UK, though I have spent all my working life here. If in the next 5-10 years the need arise to go back to my country of origin I need to know that my UK state pension, the only pension I have, will be secure wherever I'll be. If becoming a citizen would make it more secure (it would for example eliminate the need to come back every 5 yrs) I would need to consider it. Yet, I am still uncertain if it would actually make any difference.
          It is a difficult decision.
          Thanks

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Lacreativa View Post
            Yes I understand that coming back every 5 yrs is the safest thing to do. I am 61 and able to travel at the moment, but who knows what might be in 15-20 years time. I am trying to think ahead about all possibilities; I am a single person and have no family in UK, though I have spent all my working life here. If in the next 5-10 years the need arise to go back to my country of origin I need to know that my UK state pension, the only pension I have, will be secure wherever I'll be. If becoming a citizen would make it more secure (it would for example eliminate the need to come back every 5 yrs) I would need to consider it. Yet, I am still uncertain if it would actually make any difference.
            It is a difficult decision.
            Thanks
            If you had status when you moved abroad and started claiming the pension there, then it would carry on being paid as usual, since there is no requirement to be living in the UK to get the UK state pension, and EUSS is only required to live in the UK. It would only be an issue if you decided to come back to the UK once you had lost your settled status.

            I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

            Comment


            • #7
              Thank you, it is clear now, you've been very helpful.

              Comment

              Working...
              X