X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access to student finance for EU citizens

Hello, I hope it’s alright to ask this question (It’s my first post).
    A young friend who is from Italy and has been in the UK with his family for 3 years has been told that he cannot access student finance until he has obtained full Settled Status. Is this correct?
    Thank you!

Originally posted by Maddie66 View Post
    A young friend who is from Italy and has been in the UK with his family for 3 years has been told that he cannot access student finance until he has obtained full Settled Status. Is this correct?
    Thank you!
    Hi Maddie,

We do not deal with student finance applications, if you wish to know more about student finance and how residence is assessed this a useful link for info.

UKCISA - international student advice and guidance - Ordinary residence case law

UKCISA also offer students advice specifically in relation to Brexit and status necessary for student finance.

UKCISA - international student advice and guidance - Brexit - immigration

Here is the info you might want to pass on to your friend - UKCISA - international student advice and guidance - Information & Advice

Where it says:

If you cannot find the information you need after looking at our website, phone our Student Advice Line on +4420 7788 9214 between 1pm and 4pm (UK time) between Monday and Friday, except for public holidays.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes.

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddie66 View Post
      Thank you!

It might be correct, as I was asked to provide proof of settled status as well in September 2018, when the software was not even available!

The issue ended up on Twitter and I complained to the SFE several times that we couldn't have settled status yet at the time.
      However, things have progressed rapidly in 2 years so given that we have left the EU already (we are in transition but access to Erasmus grants has already been stopped for example), loans might not be available anymore for EU citizens since 01/02/2020.

I advise your friend to see what can be done but having dealt with SFE (Student Finance England) since 2013, I don't think he will succeed, SFE is even worse than the Home Office.
      This reminds me I need to contact them as well, I need to update my citizenship with them (I naturalised last year).

Comment

Originally posted by SavedBytheBell View Post

It might be correct, as I was asked to provide proof of settled status as well in September 2018, when the software was not even available!

The issue ended up on Twitter and I complained to the SFE several times that we couldn't have settled status yet at the time.
        Unfortunately there was a lot of confusion at the time the scheme was announced, things are much clearer now and it's all over the government pages, that EEA nationals do not need status for any purposes, until next year. However, the rules for student loans are different and based on 3 years' residence, and these years have to be related to the relevant academic year, so, strictly speaking, it's not a question of settled status. Although SF may well require status next year, since only 3 years are required, pre-settled will also have to be accepted, while some people may have obtained settled status based on earlier periods of residence but may not qualify if not living here for the last 3 years. The requirements are set out here: UKCISA - international student advice and guidance - England: fee status

However, things have progressed rapidly in 2 years so given that we have left the EU already (we are in transition but access to Erasmus grants has already been stopped for example), loans might not be available anymore for EU citizens since 01/02/2020.
        The Erasmus program is totally separate from SFE for students resident in the UK.

I advise your friend to see what can be done but having dealt with SFE (Student Finance England) since 2013, I don't think he will succeed, SFE is even worse than the Home Office.
        This reminds me I need to contact them as well, I need to update my citizenship with them (I naturalised last year).
        As above, it's not necessary to be British to be eligible, and while you may want to update your records as you say, as this is a public forum, for the benefit of others, there is no reason why student finance should not be available to students who meet the residence requirements just because we have left the EU.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Working...
        X