Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home university fee rate from 2021/2022

Good evening,

We are having numerous debates with EU friends and family about the interpretation of the speech of Michelle Donolan given at the House of Commons on Tuesday 26th of June.
    Written statements - Written questions, answers and statements - UK Parliament

The following section of the speech has not been mentioned in numerous newspapers and student forums, ignore this specific lines. "It will not affect students starting courses in academic year 2020/21, nor those EU, other EEA and Swiss nationals benefiting from Citizens’ Rights under the EU Withdrawal Agreement, EEA EFTA Separation Agreement or Swiss Citizens’ Rights Agreement respectively"
    It is really worrying that university could interpreted rules as they wish.

We are not sure if future university students with EU Settled status will be considered as Home fee if they start uni from 2021/2022.
    Thanks for your help.

Originally posted by soguerinet View Post
    Good evening,

We are having numerous debates with EU friends and family about the interpretation of the speech of Michelle Donolan given at the House of Commons on Tuesday 26th of June.
    Written statements - Written questions, answers and statements - UK Parliament

The following section of the speech has not been mentioned in numerous newspapers and student forums, ignore this specific lines. "It will not affect students starting courses in academic year 2020/21, nor those EU, other EEA and Swiss nationals benefiting from Citizens’ Rights under the EU Withdrawal Agreement, EEA EFTA Separation Agreement or Swiss Citizens’ Rights Agreement respectively"
    It is really worrying that university could interpreted rules as they wish.
    Hello,

What makes you think they could interpret this as they wish? The statement is crystal clear, there's nothing ambiguous about it. The above agreements all refer to entitlement to status under the EUSS, as opposed to EU national students coming here to study after the end of the transition period (hence from 2021/2022), who would be subject to the same rules as non EU students, since the UK will be a non EU country by then. That would also mean having to apply for student visas, since the right to study in another member state is also part of the EU/EEA Freedom of Movement Directives that will no longer apply to a non EEA country like the UK. But those who obtained EUSS status benefit from the rights above, so no reason to interpret it in any other way.

We are not sure if future university students with EU Settled status will be considered as Home fee if they start uni from 2021/2022.
    Thanks for your help.
    Yes they will as above, this only affects students not covered by the citizens rights agreements. This is also noted in the UKCISA website: UKCISA - international student advice and guidance - Home or Overseas fees: the basics

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

You wrote "What makes you think they could interpret this as they wish? "
      I guess all discussions in forums, Facebook,,,. even when you look at the UKCISA, they asked the Department for Education to get a clarification.
      If you follow this link, you will see what I mean.
      UKCISA - international student advice and guidance

I would need to be certain as I was about to apply for me and my daughter to citizenship. Timing is really critical for us, as she would start uni in 2021/2022.
      It takes a very long time to get the submission assess + adding the backlog of biometric and ceremonies...
      If I was sure the University will consider us as Home fee and I would just switch my PR card into the EUSS then.
      Thanks

Comment

You wrote "What makes you think they could interpret this as they wish? "
        I guess all discussions in forums, Facebook,,,.
        I'm afraid these are not reliable sources, anyone can post on social media and people very often post their own opinions as if they were facts.

even when you look at the UKCISA, they asked the Department for Education to get a clarification.
        If you follow this link, you will see what I mean.
        UKCISA - international student advice and guidance

I would need to be certain as I was about to apply for me and my daughter to citizenship. Timing is really critical for us, as she would start uni in 2021/2022.
        It takes a very long time to get the submission assess + adding the backlog of biometric and ceremonies...
        If I was sure the University will consider us as Home fee and I would just switch my PR card into the EUSS then.
        Thanks
        You don't need to "switch" your PR card when applying for settled status, just provide the PR card number, you get to keep the card which will be valid till the end of the year.

The text in the link above answers their own question:

It will not affect students starting courses in academic year 2020/21, nor those EU, other EEA and Swiss nationals benefiting from Citizens’ Rights under the EU Withdrawal Agreement, EEA EFTA Separation Agreement or Swiss Citizens’ Rights Agreement respectively.
        Very obviously those with settled status benefit from Citizens' Rights under the EU Withdrawal Agreement.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I did not know that you could get the PR and EUSS simultaneously. It seemed weird for me but understand now that one being under the EU law and the SS under the UK law, then they can actually coexist until the PR become obsolete at the end if Dec 2020. Meaning Is it correct?

Comment

Thanks for the info. I did not know that you could get the PR and EUSS simultaneously.
            Morning,

Yes, it is perfectly possible to have both. When people apply for settled status with PR, the PR card number is used to establish residence but the card remains valid. In fact, it is possible to have PR, ILR under the EUSS and another form of ILR, I have all three!

It seemed weird for me but understand now that one being under the EU law and the SS under the UK law, then they can actually coexist until the PR become obsolete at the end if Dec 2020. Meaning Is it correct?
            That is correct, PR cards will stop being valid at the end of this year due to Brexit. PR status is acquired automatically under EU law, while settled status is granted under UK immigration rules, so they are separate statuses. Due to Brexit, the EEA Regulations that implement EU Directives in the UK will be repealed, so documents issued under them will cease to be valid.

Comment

Working...
            X