Peace and Solidarity

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EU national refused entry to the UK

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • EU national refused entry to the UK

    Today I read on social media about a case of a Spanish woman that was refused entry to the country, detained at Gatwick airport and transferred to a deportation centre in Bedfordshire where she's been informed that she is entitled to legal advice and she'll have an interview with the home office within 72 hours. This woman had worked in 2019 in the UK for a few months and then went away. Now she came back (without eu status) and told the border control that she intends to seek employment (I told you what happened from then on).
    My question is why the border control didn't just sent her back to Spain on the next flight available? Why did they took her to a deportation centre in Bedfordshire to have a formal interview with the Home Office in the presence of a solicitor? What is all this process about? Ok she made a mistake to come to look for employment without status but isn't all this way far-fetched?

  • #2
    Originally posted by Nerro Segunto View Post
    Today I read on social media about a case of a Spanish woman that was refused entry to the country, detained at Gatwick airport and transferred to a deportation centre in Bedfordshire where she's been informed that she is entitled to legal advice and she'll have an interview with the home office within 72 hours. This woman had worked in 2019 in the UK for a few months and then went away. Now she came back (without eu status) and told the border control that she intends to seek employment (I told you what happened from then on).
    My question is why the border control didn't just sent her back to Spain on the next flight available? Why did they took her to a deportation centre in Bedfordshire to have a formal interview with the Home Office in the presence of a solicitor? What is all this process about? Ok she made a mistake to come to look for employment without status but isn't all this way far-fetched?
    Morning,

    We are unable to comment about things posted on social media, where information often gets distorted as the people who post it throw their own views and assumptions. If you have a link to an article in the media, kindly provide it, then we can look at it and discuss it further, depending on what it says. From experience, the facts are often lurking in the shadows, the media always tries to produce an emotional response, which many people are so prone to as soon as they read anything.

    I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities.

    Comment


    • #3
      Hello,

      This was published today, it doesn't give much information, it's the story I read about though.
      The London Economic | A woman from Valencia, Spain who arrived at London Gatwick Airport was forced into detention by UK border agents. | News

      Comment


      • #4
        Happy ending (almost)

        UK releases Spanish woman held in immigration removal center – POLITICO

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Nerro Segunto View Post
          Hello,

          This was published today, it doesn't give much information, it's the story I read about though.
          Originally posted by Nerro Segunto View Post
          Morning,

          I have since read various articles about this, I can't really comment on why they decided to detain her as opposed to just putting her in the next flight back. Do bear in mind all this virus malarkey can come into play, it may have had something to do with the quarantine rules, etc. I'm not saying that I agree with the decision, but she arrived in the UK before the government lifted the travel ban, and she's not resident here since she wasn't here last year to make her eligible under the EUSS. Unfortunately all this virus thing has caused a lot of confusion. Hopefully we will see the end of it very soon!

          I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities.

          Comment


          • #6
            Good Morning,

            I became aware of another similar incident with a Greek woman last Friday. She had applied for pre settled status (she hadn't received it due to insufficient evidence) and the Home Office emailed her informing that she would be able to reapply within 28 days. She travelled to the UK to visit a friend (without having reapplied) and the Border Force detained her because she didn't have a return ticket and didn't hold enough money with her. They said that they suspected she intended to stay illegally in the UK (which was not true but they were not convinced). Long story short, she was sent back to Greece yesterday. (This story hasn't gone online besides a facebook expat group).

            By the way, are you aware of any changes in border control for eu national as of 1st July (given that the grace period comes to an end soon)?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Nerro Segunto View Post
              Good Morning,

              I became aware of another similar incident with a Greek woman last Friday. She had applied for pre settled status (she hadn't received it due to insufficient evidence) and the Home Office emailed her informing that she would be able to reapply within 28 days. She travelled to the UK to visit a friend (without having reapplied) and the Border Force detained her because she didn't have a return ticket and didn't hold enough money with her. They said that they suspected she intended to stay illegally in the UK (which was not true but they were not convinced). Long story short, she was sent back to Greece yesterday. (This story hasn't gone online besides a facebook expat group).

              By the way, are you aware of any changes in border control for eu national as of 1st July (given that the grace period comes to an end soon)?
              We cannot comment on these events as we do not have access to full details.

              Regarding changes at the border control for EU nationals please go to: Visiting the UK as an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen - GOV.UK

              I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Nerro Segunto View Post
                Good Morning,

                I became aware of another similar incident with a Greek woman last Friday. She had applied for pre settled status (she hadn't received it due to insufficient evidence) and the Home Office emailed her informing that she would be able to reapply within 28 days. She travelled to the UK to visit a friend (without having reapplied) and the Border Force detained her because she didn't have a return ticket and didn't hold enough money with her. They said that they suspected she intended to stay illegally in the UK (which was not true but they were not convinced). Long story short, she was sent back to Greece yesterday. (This story hasn't gone online besides a facebook expat group).

                By the way, are you aware of any changes in border control for eu national as of 1st July (given that the grace period comes to an end soon)?
                Morning,

                Seems like you have addressed the key issues here, having applied for something doesn't mean you have it, in principle, anyone can apply for anything. Any EU passport holder could download the app, scan their passport and submit an application, even if they've never set foot in the UK and haven't got any family here. They CAN still make an application, it doesn't mean it will succeed. But until it's decided, it cannot be taken into account as valid proof of status. In fact, the EUSS often hold off issuing Certificates of Application (CoAs) in cases where it's not clear whether the application has prospect of success, as a CoA can be used to prove rights in the UK, although it's not a valid travel document. So she would have applied but not obtained status, in which case, she would be admitted following the same criteria as for non visa nationals from outside the EU, i.e., people from countries like the US, Australia, etc., who can come here as visitors without a visa, but still need to satisfy border control of their intention to leave after their visit.

                Thing is, EU nationals need to realise that, now the transition period has ended, travel to the UK will be just like going to any other non EU country, trouble is, many have not travelled outside the EU before, or still see the UK as being part of the EU. Whenever I've gone outside the EU, they've always expected to see a return or onward ticket to another country. I could write a whole blog with my experiences in the US and Canada, not to mention Panama, where they took full biometrics at the airport! Better not to even mention Sydney...

                I'm assuming the UK government is trying to make the point, probably taking things too far in the process. But it is important that people are well informed to avoid all this unnecessary hassle.

                I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hello,
                  (I've just noticed that I made this post exactly one year ago, 05/05/21)

                  I think you might be interested in taking a look at this Border patrol officer was brutal and threatened with deportation even though I have a pre-settled status until August 2024 : unitedkingdom

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Nerro Segunto View Post
                    Hello,
                    (I've just noticed that I made this post exactly one year ago, 05/05/21)

                    I think you might be interested in taking a look at this Border patrol officer was brutal and threatened with deportation even though I have a pre-settled status until August 2024 : unitedkingdom
                    Morning,

                    No idea what your point is here, we were only here to help people with their applications and this forum has now closed.

                    I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X