Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Validity of passports and ID cards for travel between the UK and the EU

EU passports

There is no minimum passport validity required to travel to other EU countries.

Passports should be valid for the whole duration of your stay in that country.

The same principle applies when returning to the UK, as noted here: Entering the UK: Before you leave for the UK - GOV.UK

...where they say:

You’re from an EEA country or Switzerland

You can enter the UK with either a passport or national identity card issued by an EEA country or Switzerland that should be valid for the whole of your stay.

From 1 October 2021, you will not be able to use an EEA or Swiss national identity card to enter the UK unless you:
    • have settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme
    • have an EU Settlement Scheme family permit
    • have a Frontier Worker permit
    • are an S2 Healthcare Visitor
    • are a Swiss Service Provider

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

More info for those who have UK passports and passports from a EU country.

Citizenship and British passport - travel as a dual national - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

and examples - use of the two passports when travelling from UK to country of origin - Dual Passport - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Airport e-gates in the UK

Page 74 of the Visit visa guidance refers to EEA, Swiss and other nationalities who are able to enter via the e-gates:

EEA, Swiss and B5JSSK nationals

Nationals of Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea, and the United States of America (B5JSSK), EEA states and Switzerland are able to use ePassport gates to enter the UK. If they do so without holding a valid entry clearance, they will automatically receive 6 months permission to enter as a standard visitor and will not receive an endorsement in their passport.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

NOTE - URGENT TRAVEL use of ID CARDS or PASSPORTS issued by an EU member state.

This note is relevant ONLY for those who have just become UK citizens via naturalisation AND have applied for UK citizenship on the basis of having been granted settled status AND have applied for a British passport or are in the process of applying for a British passport.

Please note that while you wait for your British passport application to be processed and your British passport to be issued, you can still use your ID card or passport issued by an EU member state if you have been granted settled status. As we recommend applying for a British passport asap, once the application has been submitted, this person will also have evidence that they have applied for a British passport.

So if you have to travel urgently, we recommend that you bring with you a copy of the email you have received when you have been granted settled status and (if you have applied for a British passport) a copy of your British passport application. This will help to show border control officers that you have made all the possible efforts to obtain a British passport as a UK national and that you are waiting for your British passport to be issued.

Your rights as a UK resident to enter UK territory with an ID card issued by an EU member state:

ID cards issued by members states will still be valid for entry and exiting the UK until 31 December 2025 if a person can demonstrate they are residents in the UK e.g. they have been granted settled status (or belong to other categories as highlighted in the following link)Source Visiting the UK as an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen - GOV.UK

The border control officers will be able to check if a passenger returning to the UK has settled status by checking their immigration records. The settled status will remain on the personal record indefinitely even if a person has later become a British citizen via naturalisation or registration. Source Mythbuster: EU Settlement Scheme | London City Hall where it says:

Also, Settled Status provides an up-to-date digital status proving lawful residence rights. This means it will not matter if you lose your ‘old style’ ILR, your lawful residence rights will be protected by your digital status. Your digital status will be stored on your Home Office records indefinitely.
        Once again, if a person has become a British citizen they should make every possible effort to obtain a British passport as soon as possible after naturalisation.

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by ClaudLatina View Post

The border control officers will be able to check if a passenger returning to the UK has settled status by checking their immigration records. The settled status will remain on the personal record indefinitely even if a person has later become a British citizen via naturalisation or registration. Source Mythbuster: EU Settlement Scheme | London City Hall where it says:

Also, Settled Status provides an up-to-date digital status proving lawful residence rights. This means it will not matter if you lose your ‘old style’ ILR, your lawful residence rights will be protected by your digital status. Your digital status will be stored on your Home Office records indefinitely.

Once again, if a person has become a British citizen they should make every possible effort to obtain a British passport as soon as possible after naturalisation.
          Morning,

ClaudLatina It looks like the Office of the Mayor of London got it wrong once again. There was another thread where I contacted them via their contact form to say the government pages clearly mention mobile phone bills as an acceptable form of evidence for settled status, while they say they are not accepted. It may well be that the EUSS records are stored on the Home Office systems indefninitely, as they are expected to be, much the same as other immigration applications made, but that's not quite the same as them remaining live in a way they can be seen by border control, linked to people's passports and ID cards, once they have naturalised. As we all know, technically, the settled status is null and void since British citizens can't have an immigration status.

I had previously heard accounts from people who were told by Border Control, that they couldn't see their EUSS records when they travelled shortly after their ceremony, this first hand account from one of our members confirms that the records of naturalised EEA nationals are no longer live: Dual Citizenship EU/UK - Travelling to UK - Immigration Problems - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

Comment

I have received an email from the Office of the Mayor of London after my prevoius complaint, saying they are in the process of updating their website.

Comment

Swedish Passport Rules
              I'm on an online meeting with the EU Commission, where this issue has come up. A rep from the Swedish authorities has confirmed that, even though Swedish nationals with settled or pre-settled status in the UK should be able to travel on their ID cards, this will only work to leave the UK, however, they will be barred from leaving Sweden on their ID cards because the Swedish authorities have a rule against Swedish nationals travelling on ID cards to any countries outside the EU, including Britain. This has nothing to do with the UK Home Office, it's a Swedish rule which has been discussed but, so far, they have decided to stick to this passport rule. So any Swedes here with EUSS status do need a passport regardless of the allowances made by the UK government.

Comment

Originally posted by Site Admin View Post

Swedish Passport Rules
                I'm on an online meeting with the EU Commission, where this issue has come up. A rep from the Swedish authorities has confirmed that, even though Swedish nationals with settled or pre-settled status in the UK should be able to travel on their ID cards, this will only work to leave the UK, however, they will be barred from leaving Sweden on their ID cards because the Swedish authorities have a rule against Swedish nationals travelling on ID cards to any countries outside the EU, including Britain. This has nothing to do with the UK Home Office, it's a Swedish rule which has been discussed but, so far, they have decided to stick to this passport rule. So any Swedes here with EUSS status do need a passport regardless of the allowances made by the UK government.
                I think this should be posted in a prominent way in all our fora. Is there a link to the Swedish embassy we can link this info to?

Comment

Originally posted by ClaudLatina View Post

I think this should be posted in a prominent way in all our fora. Is there a link to the Swedish embassy we can link this info to?
                  Yesterday I posted it on Love EUKCEN, the UKCEN FB group and the EU Nationals in UK groups, in fact, that's where I copied it from onto this post.

I tried googling around and couldn't find anything that refers specifically to this, it may be because the original info must be in Swedish, as it's only for Swedish nationals, so if I google in English, it's not been indexed in English by Google.

This issue was brought up verbally by the person who organises and chairs the EU Commission monitoring meetings, who is the First Counsellor of the EU Citizens’ Rights Programme and Consular Correspondent of the Delegation of the EU in the UK. At that point, a representative of the Swedish Embassy took the floor and explained what I said above. The meeting chair had seen it posted somewhere online, but he did not provide a link in the chat box.

Comment

Working...
                  X