Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAWYER RESPONSE Travelling while replacing expired EEA BRC to EUSS BRC

Hello everyone,

Long story short, I was granted EUSS settlement last Oct but I totally forget to apply to replace my EEA family BRC before it expires this March. I have applied for a replacement now but there's no biometric appointment in the coming month and I'm due to travel in 3 weeks time. I understand it's not advised to travel without a valid BRC but I have not seen family for 18 months so I wish to go ahead.

- I have submitted my passport information to update and link with my EUSS settle status so not only my expired EEA BRC is linked to my EUSS status (still waiting to be updated)
    - My passport country is non-EEA but is visa-free to visit the UK for 6 months

I plan to have my expired EEA BRC with me, EUSS settled status record, EESS BRC application confirmation letter with me when I go through the border. I guess the worst case is that I still can enter UK, but might be recorded as a visitor, not a resident? Does anyone have any advice on what else I can do?

Many thanks for your advice!

Ps. My EU husband just got his British passport and I'm applying for my naturalisation this weekend by the way.

CC

Tim M (lawyer) Would you be able to comment on the above situation?

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by cclondon View Post
      Hello everyone,

Long story short, I was granted EUSS settlement last Oct but I totally forget to apply to replace my EEA family BRC before it expires this March. I have applied for a replacement now but there's no biometric appointment in the coming month and I'm due to travel in 3 weeks time. I understand it's not advised to travel without a valid BRC but I have not seen family for 18 months so I wish to go ahead.

- I have submitted my passport information to update and link with my EUSS settle status so not only my expired EEA BRC is linked to my EUSS status (still waiting to be updated)
      - My passport country is non-EEA but is visa-free to visit the UK for 6 months

I plan to have my expired EEA BRC with me, EUSS settled status record, EESS BRC application confirmation letter with me when I go through the border. I guess the worst case is that I still can enter UK, but might be recorded as a visitor, not a resident? Does anyone have any advice on what else I can do?

Many thanks for your advice!

Ps. My EU husband just got his British passport and I'm applying for my naturalisation this weekend by the way.

CC
      As Tim is on leave, Louis M (lawyer) Would you be able to comment on this?

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Sorry I'm not too sure what would happen at the border. Sounds risky trying to enter without the BRC. Not sure how this scenario is panning out in practice though.

I am an immigration solicitor regulated by the Law Society of England and Wales.  I work at Truth Legal Solicitors where I am Head of Immigration. I am also a volunteer with UKCEN, where I provide one-off advice on a pro-bono basis. This advice should not be considered a substitute for formal legal advice. Please see Louis M for full details.

Comment

Hello,

I'd like to report back with my experience travelling with no BRC or expired BRC.

Things to note:
          - I have updated my passport data to link with my settled status on gov's portal
          - My passport can enter UK without any visa as tourist

Border experience:
          - I managed to travelled twice the past two months and no issues with the border. The officer can see my status with my passport and also with my expired card. They are super friendly and no issue at all (told them I am still waiting for my replacement card)

The actual hassle is with the airline because I have been hold by the airline to confirm my passport can enter UK as tourist etc.

Hope it helps! cheers

Comment

Hello,

I'd like to report back with my experience travelling with no BRC or expired BRC.

Things to note:
            - I have updated my passport data to link with my settled status on gov's portal

Border experience:
            - I managed to travelled twice the past two months and no issues with the border. The officer can see my status with my passport and also with my expired card. They are super friendly and no issue at all (told them I am still waiting for my replacement card)

The actual hassle is with the airline because I have been hold by the airline to confirm my passport can enter UK as tourist etc.

Hope it helps! cheers
            Thank you so much for letting us know - this is very very useful for us and many others to know.

Site Admin I will make this a sticky topic.

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Hello,

Things to note:

Border experience:

Hope it helps! cheers
              Morning,

Non visa nationals should be able to travel to the UK without a BRC, however, as you say, the issue is with the airline check-in desk, since they would normally expect non visa nationals to produce a return or onward ticket to show they are entering as visitors, otherwise, a valid visa or document showing they are entitled to live in the UK, so I'd say it could be a bit hit and miss.

Comment

Working...
              X