Peace and Solidarity

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice about travel

Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Advice about travel

    Can you travel abroad while awaiting for your first UK passport?

    Ceremony will be next week and then

  • #2
    Originally posted by karinat80 View Post
    Can you travel abroad while awaiting for your first UK passport?

    Ceremony will be next week and then
    Morning,

    You can travel before you make the application for your first UK passport, but not while you are waiting for it, since you will need to send your current passport along with your naturalisation certificate, and then it can take up to 4-5 weeks to get your supporting documents, including non UK passport, after receiving your UK passport. If you are an EEA national, you'd really need to use your EU passport to enter the other EU country rather than the British one.

    Regarding travel before you apply for your first UK passport, you may want to refer to what my colleague said here, where she explained the situation in great detail: Travel with EU passport after British citizenship - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

    I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities.

    Comment


    • #3
      Good Morning!

      I have a doubt regarding travelling abroad meanwhile waiting for the documents to come back.

      In this case I sent my spanish passport alongside my naturalisation certificate. However, I have also my spanish ID and managed to link that to the settled status.

      My question is, would I be able to travel to Spain and come back to UK using my spanish ID? As far as I know, travelling to UK with nationals IDs is allowed in case you link with your status, but I am not sure if once I have been granted with british citizenship, you are still alowed to "use your settle status"?

      Many thanks,
      Kind Regards.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by robert_dave View Post
        Good Morning!

        I have a doubt regarding travelling abroad meanwhile waiting for the documents to come back.

        In this case I sent my spanish passport alongside my naturalisation certificate. However, I have also my spanish ID and managed to link that to the settled status.

        My question is, would I be able to travel to Spain and come back to UK using my spanish ID? As far as I know, travelling to UK with nationals IDs is allowed in case you link with your status, but I am not sure if once I have been granted with british citizenship, you are still alowed to "use your settle status"?

        Many thanks,
        Kind Regards.
        Evening,

        Is your settled status still live online? Some people have reported it no longer being accessible after their ceremonies, there seems to be little consistency on this, but I couldn't really guarantee being able to travel with an ID card when it's not guaranteed that the status will still be live when you return. Would be different with an EU passport, of course.

        I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities.

        Comment


        • #5
          Hi!

          Yes, my settled status is still accesible online and I had my ceremony a month ago... I used to have my spanish passport link to it but I changed it recently to the spanish id just in case I could use it to travel meanwhile waiting for my documents back.

          But as you mentioned... it may be risky...

          Thanks you for your answer!

          Regards!

          Comment


          • #6
            Dear forum,

            I think I wrote a similar post in the past with my doubts and unfortunately now, my doubts have become real.

            My husband needs to be in Italy (home country) by the 25th of April. He was granted with British citizenship mid February and applied at the end of the month, calculating that everything will be in order for him to travel. Unfortunately, there's a big backlog and they haven't been able to print and send his passport yet. He has tried to call in several occasions and every time a different operator has said that they will put a note in the system and that someone would contact him. They haven't.

            My daughter's passport application was submitted a week later and hers just arrived yesterday, at this point I am afraid his continues phone calls have delayed his application although they have said the opposite.

            Problem is, they have also his Italian passport and I am not too sure whether he can travel anyway with that alone, provided he is British now.

            Question. How can he travel in the meantime?

            He even asked if he could withdraw the application and apply once returned and they said no, because it wouldn't give them time to review the application before his travel date, since the current times to open a new application is 2-3 weeks.

            We though of going to the Italian consulate and ask for an ETD or to try and use his Italian ID card but, I am not too sure if we can link that one to his settled status now, that he's been granted citizenship.

            Many thanks in advance for your help.




            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Site Admin View Post

              Morning,

              You can travel before you make the application for your first UK passport, but not while you are waiting for it, since you will need to send your current passport along with your naturalisation certificate, and then it can take up to 4-5 weeks to get your supporting documents, including non UK passport, after receiving your UK passport. If you are an EEA national, you'd really need to use your EU passport to enter the other EU country rather than the British one.

              Regarding travel before you apply for your first UK passport, you may want to refer to what my colleague said here, where she explained the situation in great detail: Travel with EU passport after British citizenship - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families
              Originally posted by karinat80 View Post
              Dear forum,

              I think I wrote a similar post in the past with my doubts and unfortunately now, my doubts have become real.

              My husband needs to be in Italy (home country) by the 25th of April. He was granted with British citizenship mid February and applied at the end of the month, calculating that everything will be in order for him to travel. Unfortunately, there's a big backlog and they haven't been able to print and send his passport yet. He has tried to call in several occasions and every time a different operator has said that they will put a note in the system and that someone would contact him. They haven't.
              Afternoon,

              I have moved your post to your previous thread, where you will note I said the following:

              Originally posted by Site Admin View Post

              You can travel before you make the application for your first UK passport, but not while you are waiting for it, since you will need to send your current passport along with your naturalisation certificate, and then it can take up to 4-5 weeks to get your supporting documents, including non UK passport, after receiving your UK passport. If you are an EEA national, you'd really need to use your EU passport to enter the other EU country rather than the British one.

              Regarding travel before you apply for your first UK passport, you may want to refer to what my colleague said here, where she explained the situation in great detail: Travel with EU passport after British citizenship - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

              I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities.

              Comment


              • #8

                Originally posted by Site Admin View Post
                My daughter's passport application was submitted a week later and hers just arrived yesterday, at this point I am afraid his continues phone calls have delayed his application although they have said the opposite.

                Problem is, they have also his Italian passport and I am not too sure whether he can travel anyway with that alone, provided he is British now.

                Question. How can he travel in the meantime?

                He even asked if he could withdraw the application and apply once returned and they said no, because it wouldn't give them time to review the application before his travel date, since the current times to open a new application is 2-3 weeks.
                I don't understand this last paragraph, why would they need to review the application once it's been withdrawn? If it's withdrawn, they don't need to do anything, he loses the fee, gets the passport back and can re-apply on his return.

                Originally posted by Site Admin View Post
                We though of going to the Italian consulate and ask for an ETD or to try and use his Italian ID card but, I am not too sure if we can link that one to his settled status now, that he's been granted citizenship.
                If the settled status record is still live online, there should be the option to add another identity document, such as the ID card, however, I can't guarantee that he will be able to travel back with his ID card, since, technically, the settled status is null and void once you become British, as British citizens cannot have any other immigration status here. It wouldn't be an issue if he had his passport, as per post linked above, but since ID cards are only accepted if linked to EUSS status, I can't tell you that he will be able to come back on it.

                I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Good afternoon everyone.

                  I have dual citizenship, British and Italian. I have already applied for my British Passport and received it today (!) but I am still waiting for the HM Passport Office to return my naturalisation certificate and Italian Passport.

                  Now, I may need to travel to Italy next week and I am trying to understand if it would be alright for me to travel with my British Passport and Italian Carta d'Identità Cartacea (Italian paper ID — the old one, not the new, small, shiny, driving-licence-like one). Of course I would exit the UK with the Britsh Passport, and enter Italy with the ID. I'd do the opposite on my way back (ID to exit Italy, passport to enter UK).

                  ClaudLatina I've already read the 2 threads Validity of passports and ID cards for travel between the UK and the EU and Citizenship and British passport - travel as a dual national but they only refer to naturalised citizens still awaiting their first British Passport, and currently without their first original one. My case is a bit more specific (for a change!).

                  I also checked my settled status online, and it still exists, but I suppose that is not that relevent anymore now that I am a British citizen with British passport, right?

                  My concern really is with the Italian border, where the officer would see a British citizen entering from outside of the EU with an ID card instead of a passport. Like, "How are you coming from the UK with an ID, if you cannot enter there anymore with it?". Would they care? I suppose I could just show both passport and ID. To be honest, due to past experiences, I have really low confidence in the indulgence and preparedness of the Italian border force of the airport I usually fly to...

                  Anyway, any information would be greatly helpful. As always, thank you very much for your work here!

                  M
                  Last edited by mmurdock23; 23-04-2022, 05:46 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by mmurdock23 View Post
                    Good afternoon everyone.

                    I have dual citizenship, British and Italian. I have already applied for my British Passport and received it today (!) but I am still waiting for the HM Passport Office to return my naturalisation certificate and Italian Passport.

                    Now, I may need to travel to Italy next week and I am trying to understand if it would be alright for me to travel with my British Passport and Italian Carta d'Identità Cartacea (Italian paper ID — the old one, not the new, small, shiny, driving-licence-like one). Of course I would exit the UK with the Britsh Passport, and enter Italy with the ID. I'd do the opposite on my way back (ID to exit Italy, passport to enter UK).

                    ClaudLatina I've already read the 2 threads Validity of passports and ID cards for travel between the UK and the EU and Citizenship and British passport - travel as a dual national but they only refer to naturalised citizens still awaiting their first British Passport, and currently without their first original one. My case is a bit more specific (for a change!).

                    I also checked my settled status online, and it still exists, but I suppose that is not that relevent anymore now that I am a British citizen with British passport, right?

                    My concern really is with the Italian border, where the officer would see a British citizen entering from outside of the EU with an ID card instead of a passport. Like, "How are you coming from the UK with an ID, if you cannot enter there anymore with it?". Would they care? I suppose I could just show both passport and ID. To be honest, due to past experiences, I have really low confidence in the indulgence and preparedness of the Italian border force of the airport I usually fly to...

                    Anyway, any information would be greatly helpful. As always, thank you very much for your work here!

                    M
                    Morning,

                    If you have an Italian ID card, you should be able to enter Italy with that, why would the Italian border see a British citizen if you show them an Italian ID card? Italian border control shouldn't be concerned with the UK entry requirements and, should they ask the question, you can always tell them you also have a British passport, since Italy has no issues with dual citizenship.

                    You wouldn't be able to come back to the UK on your ID card due to settled status probably no longer being valid, but then you have your British passport for that purpose.

                    I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X