Please support us so we can help others

>> CLICK HERE TO START A NEW POST <<

(you need to log in to post)

Announcement

Collapse

IMPORTANT UPDATE

New Covid provisions for EU Settlement applications have been published. They include Provisions allowing an absence of over 12 months for people with pre-settled status, a provision for a second absence of up to 12 months and for choosing to spend time out of the UK over Covid related issues

See more
See less

EUSS - Installing and using the EU Exit: ID app from outside the UK

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EUSS - Installing and using the EU Exit: ID app from outside the UK

If anyone is needing to install this app on their phone while outside the UK, it is possible. Initially, I had device not compatible and country restricted errors, until I figured this out.
    The Home Office allows completing the application from abroad. They also allow using this app on someone else's phone or from your own phone, if you already have it installed.
    Considering everyone's safety and with the global pandemic restricting movement, I wouldn't want anyone to worry about traveling to the UK simply to install this app on their phone.

Here's what worked for me on an Android Pixel 3 cellphone using a VPN app. I'm sure some steps may be unnecessary, but this is the process I used.
    Turn on Airplane mode, turn on WiFi, turn on your VPN pointing to a UK server. (This is my normal procedure when making WiFi calls to avoid cellular connections).
    If you don't already have a UK based Google account (for the Google Play Store), you'll need to create a new Google Play Store account based in the UK.
    I did this in an incognito Chrome tab by going to the Google Play Store website and selecting Account, Create Account, but it appears to also be possible from within the Play app itself.
    You just need to enter a name, new email address, birthdate and gender, phone optional, and based on your VPN, the account should be created for use with the UK Google Play Store.
    Once this account is created, open the Google Play Store app, click on your profile avatar in the top-right and Add the new account. No credit card is required, since the EU Exit app is free.
    Go to your device settings, Applications or Apps & notifications and select the Google Play Store app. Click Force stop, then Storage and Cache, then Clear cache and Clear storage.
    Now open the Google Play Store app again, click on your profile avatar in the top-right again and select your new UK account. Then search for "eu exit" and it should be available to install.

Originally posted by TexIT View Post

If anyone is needing to install this app on their phone while outside the UK, it is possible. Initially, I had device not compatible and country restricted errors, until I figured this out.
    The Home Office allows completing the application from abroad. They also allow using this app on someone else's phone or from your own phone, if you already have it installed.
    Considering everyone's safety and with the global pandemic restricting movement, I wouldn't want anyone to worry about traveling to the UK simply to install this app on their phone.
    Hello,

We are aware of the possibility of applying from abroad, which has been the case for just over a year, as noted here: Applying from abroad - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

The one caveat is as noted below:

Please note it is not possible to use the app from outside the EEA.
    I discussed that issue with the Home Office EUSS team at a meeting last year, when they said it was for security reasons.

Here's what worked for me on an Android Pixel 3 cellphone using a VPN app. I'm sure some steps may be unnecessary, but this is the process I used.
    Turn on Airplane mode, turn on WiFi, turn on your VPN pointing to a UK server. (This is my normal procedure when making WiFi calls to avoid cellular connections).
    I even went as far as to mention VPNs, naturally they declined to comment on it. But they did not say it would be unlawful to apply from outside the EEA, just that the app could not be downloaded outside the EEA, but it could be used from anywhere once installed on your phone.

If you don't already have a UK based Google account (for the Google Play Store), you'll need to create a new Google Play Store account based in the UK.
    I did this in an incognito Chrome tab by going to the Google Play Store website and selecting Account, Create Account, but it appears to also be possible from within the Play app itself.
    You just need to enter a name, new email address, birthdate and gender, phone optional, and based on your VPN, the account should be created for use with the UK Google Play Store.
    Once this account is created, open the Google Play Store app, click on your profile avatar in the top-right and Add the new account. No credit card is required, since the EU Exit app is free.
    Go to your device settings, Applications or Apps & notifications and select the Google Play Store app. Click Force stop, then Storage and Cache, then Clear cache and Clear storage.
    Now open the Google Play Store app again, click on your profile avatar in the top-right again and select your new UK account. Then search for "eu exit" and it should be available to install.
    Thanks for the tip, it may be useful for some people. That sounds a little too complex for me, I'm an iPhone user and long-term VPN user, the (paid) VPN I use has its own app, so it's much easier to use than the above!

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

Working...
    X