Please support us so we can help others

>> CLICK HERE TO START A NEW POST <<

(you need to log in to post)

Announcement

Collapse

IMPORTANT UPDATE

New Covid provisions for EU Settlement applications have been published. They include Provisions allowing an absence of over 12 months for people with pre-settled status, a provision for a second absence of up to 12 months and for choosing to spend time out of the UK over Covid related issues

See more
See less

Applying for settled status after 9 years outside of UK

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Success Applying for settled status after 9 years outside of UK

Hi, from the moment I found this forum I cannot stop reading. So much useful info.
    I’ve just read a post of someone getting settled after 9 years of being away from UK.

i have lived in UK 11 years. In 2011 we moved to Switzerland. I thought that to apply you have to personally be in UK and o absent for more than 5 years.

During last 9 years I was inUK at least 2x per year. I have still uk bank account, phone number (same for last 20 years). Somwhere between 2015-17 I had a work contrac (for 2 years) 3 years ago I opened isa cash account.
    do you think I can apply for settled scheme without any problems in the future. I would not want to get banned from coming to uk.
    I have also 3 kids, 2 of them were born in UK and their father (my partner) is british from 2006.
    I started an application for my daughter, but haven’t finished yet, cos I got scared that I will not be able to proof her residency because she is living last 9 years in switzerland and goes to school here. She has a NiN , they sent it automatically after she became 16 (2 years ago). Once a year I take her to optician in uk. Her father was receiving child benefits for her until she turned 16.
    she want to now go back to UK to study. She has already applied to universities .
    Do you think I should carry her application even though she will not be able to come to uk before end of December (mostly because of quarantine regulations, otherwise we were planning to go to uk over Christmas).
    Please advise what to do.

Thanks for your reply. I mentioned isa because to open it , I had to be at bank personally, so another proof of me being in uk.
    the question is , what if I got rejected. I hope there is not any sort of punishment for trying to get settled status wile not actually living there?

Comment

Originally posted by Leyla76 View Post
      Hi, from the moment I found this forum I cannot stop reading. So much useful info.
      I’ve just read a post of someone getting settled after 9 years of being away from UK.

i have lived in UK 11 years. In 2011 we moved to Switzerland. I thought that to apply you have to personally be in UK and o absent for more than 5 years.
      Morning,

You will note that, last night, I responded to your question under this other thread: Question about settled status after nine years out of the UK - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

During last 9 years I was inUK at least 2x per year. I have still uk bank account, phone number (same for last 20 years). Somwhere between 2015-17 I had a work contrac (for 2 years) 3 years ago I opened isa cash account.
      do you think I can apply for settled scheme without any problems in the future.
      Also as per the above thread, it should be possible to apply on the basis of an earlier period of residence, as long as you can show not having been away for a continuous period of 5 yeras or longer, without coming back. From what you say above, this shouldn't be an issue, as long as you can provide evidence of your regular visits to the UK.

I would not want to get banned from coming to uk.
      Getting banned is not quite the same as just not having the right to live and work here, it means not being able to come here even for a visit, and this only happens to people who got deported. EU nationals without status in the UK will still be able to enter the country as visitors, and so do non EU nationals, although some nationalities do require a visa.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

I have also 3 kids, 2 of them were born in UK and their father (my partner) is british from 2006.
        I started an application for my daughter, but haven’t finished yet, cos I got scared that I will not be able to proof her residency because she is living last 9 years in switzerland and goes to school here. She has a NiN , they sent it automatically after she became 16 (2 years ago). Once a year I take her to optician in uk. Her father was receiving child benefits for her until she turned 16.
        she want to now go back to UK to study. She has already applied to universities .
        Do you think I should carry her application even though she will not be able to come to uk before end of December (mostly because of quarantine regulations, otherwise we were planning to go to uk over Christmas).
        Please advise what to do.
        You have already started a separate thread about your daughter, where I have tagged a lawyer to comment further: Home fees or international fees and daughter's UK status - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I mentioned isa because to open it , I had to be at bank personally, so another proof of me being in uk.
          the question is , what if I got rejected.
          I've moved this post from your the other thread now we have your own thread here. The reason I said an ISA account wouldn't prove residence is because it's a savings account and not one you'd use to make payments from, so it wouldn't show transactions in the UK, which are evidence of having been here. Having to be present in branch to open the account isn't something that can be easily established just by the existence of the account, so I'd leave this one out and focus on your other other evidence, such as debit and credit card transactions in UK shops, bars, cafes, etc. when you were here.

I hope there is not any sort of punishment for trying to get settled status wile not actually living there?
          Punishment doesn't come into it, it's about meeting the criteria. The Home Office does allow this as you saw on the other thread.

Comment

Thank you very much for your reply.
            the other post about the university I wrote before I found out that actually I can apply for settlement and if settlement is granted it would solve the problem.
            anyway I would want a lawyer input in the other post to what options I have just in case we will not get settled status.

Comment

Ok, I submitted application and it seems like I need extra evidence. Seems that my application was unsuccessful and I will not be able to proof 5 continues years as I have too many gaps in between. Maybe I could proof up to 2011 but than I was there just for shorter periods of time, which I could proof with bank transactions. Been able to go back to 2013 with real transactions from shops, cinema, amusement parks etc , but nothing to proof me being there for at least 6 months in a year.
              I could go for pre settled. My partner just told me than I’m employed at his business for last 5 months. I do for him paperwork remotely, but for this I don’t need to be there. I received today my payslips but not sure if there is a point , as with pre settled you need to actually live in uk I think. Not enough just to go to uk for a short periods of time.

same goes for my daughter, she needs to submit evidence for residency and that is even more complicated after 2011.

Comment

Ok, I submitted application and it seems like I need extra evidence. Seems that my application was unsuccessful and I will not be able to proof 5 continues years as I have too many gaps in between. Maybe I could proof up to 2011 but than I was there just for shorter periods of time, which I could proof with bank transactions. Been able to go back to 2013 with real transactions from shops, cinema, amusement parks etc , but nothing to proof me being there for at least 6 months in a year.
                I could go for pre settled. My partner just told me than I’m employed at his business for last 5 months. I do for him paperwork remotely, but for this I don’t need to be there. I received today my payslips but not sure if there is a point , as with pre settled you need to actually live in uk I think. Not enough just to go to uk for a short periods of time.

same goes for my daughter, she needs to submit evidence for residency and that is even more complicated after 2011.
                Being under 21, she can link her application and get the same status you obtain, regardless of her own residence.

Do bear in mind that if you are aiming for pre-settled, then you need evidence of being here at least one day before the end of December and in the last 6 months, you can only rely on your earlier residence period for settled status.

Comment

So what happens if im not able to give documents to proof my 5year residency , but I truly was in UK for 5 (and more ) continues years.
                  I haven’t worked, lived with my partner, house was his, all the bills on his name.
                  ramdom letters i received on my name doesn’t exist anymore.
                  I have to proof 5 years back from 2011, so long time ago. I cannot accès bank statement because you can accès them just up to 7 years back.
                  i found few random letters on my name like fine for parking, nin rdv letter, some legal letter with my signature on it as witness, council tax bill (With my name and my partner name on it) but just for 2011/2012 period. (council tax)

i will call council tomorrow to see if I can ask for a copy of council tax, but not sure if they will still have it for before 2011.

So what happens if I cannot provide the documents?

Comment

So what happens if im not able to give documents to proof my 5 year residency , but I truly was in UK for 5 (and more ) continues years.
                    I haven’t worked, lived with my partner, house was his, all the bills on his name.
                    ramdom letters i received on my name doesn’t exist anymore.
                    I have to proof 5 years back from 2011, so long time ago. I cannot accès bank statement because you can accès them just up to 7 years back.
                    i found few random letters on my name like fine for parking, nin rdv letter, some legal letter with my signature on it as witness, council tax bill (With my name and my partner name on it) but just for 2011/2012 period. (council tax)

i will call council tomorrow to see if I can ask for a copy of council tax, but not sure if they will still have it for before 2011.

So what happens if I cannot provide the documents?
                    Hi I have moved your post to your existing thread about your application under the settlement scheme.

To prove you were in the UK for 5 continuous years before 2011 the evidence must have dates covering that period - there is not alternative to this. Other letters might be accepted for shorter period of times - The best evidence would be the bank statements, so if there was anywhere I would want to be persistent in trying to obtain more evidence that would be your bank.

This is the list of possible evidence: Documents that can be used as evidence - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

Evidence covering longer periods of time

Documents that cover a longer period of time between 2 dates include:
                    • annual bank statement or account summary, showing at least 6 months of payments received or spending in the UK, including joint accounts
                    • employer letter confirming employment and evidence that the employer is genuine, for example, their Companies House number
                    • council tax bill
                    • letter or certificate from your school, college, university or other accredited educational or training organisation showing the dates you enrolled, attended and completed your course
                    • invoice for fees from your school, college, university or other accredited educational or training organisation and evidence of payment
                    • document showing a UK address from a student finance body in England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland or from the Student Loans Company
                    • residential mortgage statement or rental agreement and evidence of payment
                    • letter from a registered care home confirming your residence there
                    • employer pension contributions
                    • annual business account of a self-employed person
                    • a P60 for a 12-month period – your P60 shows the tax you’ve paid on your salary in the tax year (6 April to 5 April). We may ask you for additional evidence to confirm that you were resident here for at least 6 months of that period.
                    • a P45 showing the length of your previous employment. You should get a P45 from your employer when you stop working for them.
                    Evidence that covers shorter periods of time

These documents count as evidence for 1 month if they have a single date on. They can be used to cover a longer period of time if they have a start and end date covering longer than a month.
                    • bank statement showing payments received or spending in the UK, including joint accounts
                    • payslip for a UK-based job
                    • water, gas or electricity bill showing a UK address
                    • landline or mobile telephone, TV or internet bill showing a UK address
                    • domestic bill, such as for home repairs, vet’s services or insurance, and evidence of payment
                    • card or letter from your GP, hospital or other healthcare professional confirming appointments you have made or attended
                    • letter from a government department, public service or charity that show you dealt with them on a particular date or for a particular period (for example Job Centre Plus or Citizens Advice)
                    • passport stamp confirming entry at the UK border
                    • used travel ticket confirming you entered the UK from another country
                    • invoice for work you have done in the UK and evidence of payment
                    If using a boarding pass to prove that the travel ticket was used, the boarding pass should have a full date, including the year of the flight. Some boarding passes have only the month and day, these wouldn't be acceptable without additional evidence, since it won't be possible to establish when the applicant travelled to the UK.

Documents you cannot use as evidence

The documents you use should be from an official or impartial source.

You cannot use:
                    • photos and videos
                    • letters or references from family and friends
                    • greeting cards, for example birthday cards
                    • postcards sent or received
                    • personal scrapbooks
                    I don't know what else to suggest - Your daughter's schools emails perhaps of you attending the parent's evening or other school appointments - The GP might have records of you attending for appointments. These would still cover short period of times in any case.

If you cannot provide this documents you could try to contact the EUSS and see what else can be done. Ultimately it is their decision.

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

Thanks again.
                      I called council today, they cannot print out the bills, but they say that they going to write a letter confirming how many years (2003-2011) I was council tax registered and that payments were made. They will post it to my uk adress.
                      Would this be enough or I need more documents?
                      i could still call bank and doctor.

regarding my daughter, I followed her application through and came to the same point as on my application - More documents. I wanted to link her to my application, but there was no option for that. What to do? Should I start her application from the beginning?

Comment

Thanks again.
                        I called council today, they cannot print out the bills, but they say that they going to write a letter confirming how many years (2003-2011) I was council tax registered and that payments were made. They will post it to my uk adress.

regarding my daughter, I followed her application through and came to the same point as on my application - More documents. I wanted to link her to my application, but there was no option for that. What to do? Should I start her application from the beginning?
                        You cannot link your application to your daughter's application yet - you need to do your application first, then, once your application is submitted, you receive an email confirmation with a UAN reference number, this number should be entered in your daughter's application form in the relevant field as shown above. There's no need to wait for a decision on your application.

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

Thanks again.

Morning,

One thing to note here is that, if your daughter's application is linked to yours, she will receive the same status a yourself and, if you are not able to secure settled status, then neither will she, and, if neither of you is in the UK before the end of this year, then you wouldn't be able to obtain pre-settled status either, since you've not been in the UK one day in the last 6 months before the end of the year, which means she will not get pre-settled either, if you see what I mean.

Comment

Thanks for a note. I’m aiming in settled status, if I cannot get that I don’t want /need pre settled because I’m not able to be in UK before end of the year. What’s more , as I live outside uk , I would not be able to proof that I was in uk for at least 6 months, same goes for my daughter, because she will not be able to come and live in uk until June.
                            One more question
                            will council tax records be enough to proof 5 years residency ? Or they will ask still more documents?

Comment

Thanks for a note. I’m aiming in settled status, if I cannot get that I don’t want /need pre settled because I’m not able to be in UK before end of the year. What’s more , as I live outside uk , I would not be able to proof that I was in uk for at least 6 months, same goes for my daughter, because she will not be able to come and live in uk until June.
                              One more question
                              will council tax records be enough to proof 5 years residency ? Or they will ask still more documents?
                              Council tax bills are on the list of acceptable documents, as noted here: Documents

I can't tell you whether they will ask for something else.

Comment

Working...
                              X