X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EU Settlement Scheme

I would like to apply for settled status and need help with the application process. I am a German national, 57 years old and have lived in the UK since I was 3 months old. I cannot apply online because I do not have a smartphone and I do not have the required identity documents. My German passport expired in 2010 and due to the Covid situation, application for a new one is going to be difficult. I would appreciate any advice on the best way to secure my status, I do have a national insurance number and bank statements can be provided for any period of time. Would these suffice as proof of identity and if so, who do I contact to start the settlement process? Any help would be appreciated.

Originally posted by Funduro View Post
    I would like to apply for settled status and need help with the application process. I am a German national, 57 years old and have lived in the UK since I was 3 months old. I cannot apply online because I do not have a smartphone and I do not have the required identity documents. My German passport expired in 2010 and due to the Covid situation, application for a new one is going to be difficult. I would appreciate any advice on the best way to secure my status, I do have a national insurance number and bank statements can be provided for any period of time. Would these suffice as proof of identity and if so, who do I contact to start the settlement process? Any help would be appreciated.
    Evening,

You may want to look at this update from the government: Coronavirus (COVID-19): EU Settlement Scheme - guidance for applicants - GOV.UK

...where they say:

If you need to provide alternative evidence of identity and nationality, or entitlement to apply from outside the UK

You may be able to use an alternative piece of evidence of identity and nationality, or (if you are applying from outside the UK) of entitlement to apply from outside the UK if you are unable to obtain or produce a passport or national identity card due to circumstances beyond your control or due to compelling practical or compassionate reasons specifically related to coronavirus public health restrictions.
    For example, the closure or inability to travel to an embassy or high commission may prevent you from renewing your passport or national identity card, or may mean you cannot finalise an application for a new document. These may be acceptable reasons to provide alternative evidence of identity and nationality or entitlement to apply from outside the UK.
    Each case will be considered individually.
    You’ll need to provide sufficient evidence of your inability to produce the required document due to coronavirus public health restrictions. For example, you would need to provide evidence of an embassy closure, such as a letter from the relevant national authority, or a link to an official webpage.
    You’ll also need to provide alternative evidence of your identity and nationality, or entitlement to apply from outside the UK. These can include:
    • documents previously issued by the Home Office
    • an expired passport or national identity card
    • an official document issued by the authorities of your country of origin or of the UK which confirms your identity and nationality
    You’ll need to apply on a paper application form if you need to provide alternative evidence of your identity and nationality, or entitlement to apply from outside the UK.
    You can request a paper application form by contacting the EU Settlement Resolution Centre. You’ll need to explain why you need one when you contact us.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

As can be seen above, there are provisions to apply without a valid passport, but you'll need to contact the resolution centre and explain the situation and request a paper form, this means not having to use a smartphone to apply. They will tell you what documents you can send to prove your identity, if you have an expired passport, then you'll probably have to send that.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Funduro You may want to look at this info from the German consulate: Information for passport & ID Card applications at the Embassy London or with a honorary consul - Federal Foreign Office

...where they have:
        Emergency passport applications

A separate appointment booking system has been launched exclusively for the emergencies described below:
        1. Despite the lockdown, you require a passport for an imminent, urgent travel and you do not have a passport valid for this journey. Please provide us with proof of the imminent travel with your application. Please note that under UK law, in lockdown travel abroad is only permitted if you have are “legally permitted reason to leave home”.
        2. A passport is required for a new-born child holding only German citizenship.
        3. You need to apply for pre-/settled status under the UK EU Settlement Scheme and you do not have a valid biometric passport.
        4. You hold both German and British citizenship, but do not have a German passport that would allow you to accept a concrete job offer in the European Union. Please provide us with proof of the concrete job offer with your application.

For the appointment booking system please click here. Please note that you may only book an appointment if one of the emergencies described above applies. We will not be able to assist you otherwise and you would have travelled to the Embassy and you will have made the journey to the embassy for nothing. In case of doubt, please contact us via email.

Thank you for your understanding and stay healthy!

Your Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany
        As you can see above, having to apply for settled status is regarded as a reason to make an emergency passport application!

Comment

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide such comprehensive replies. I did look into renewing my passport through a local consulate, but because a considerable time had elapsed before the renewal, I now have to get proof of non British citizenship from the UK government. I am pretty sure the local consulate will not be dealing with face to face renewals, which would mean a trip to London to obtain the passport, again not ideal in a pandemic. It looks like my first port of call will be the Resolution Centre for the paper form.

Comment

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide such comprehensive replies. I did look into renewing my passport through a local consulate, but because a considerable time had elapsed before the renewal, I now have to get proof of non British citizenship from the UK government. I am pretty sure the local consulate will not be dealing with face to face renewals, which would mean a trip to London to obtain the passport, again not ideal in a pandemic. It looks like my first port of call will be the Resolution Centre for the paper form.
            Morning,

Do bear in mind they would expect you to tell them why you are not able to renew the passport and the steps you have taken, bearing in mind essential travel is permitted, but, as far as I know, not overnight stays, so you need to find out all the details, as that's what they want in order to allow people to apply without a valid ID.

Comment

Just an update to let you know that I have been granted settled status.
              This is very good news, congratulations!

If you think we have been of help, you may consider supporting us so we can carry on helping others: Help us support EEA Nationals securing their status after Brexit | Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Just an update to let you know that I have been granted settled status. I managed to use an old passport and applied using the paper forms sent by the Home Office. I have an online status linked to my old passport, my understanding is that I will have to keep this passport as an identity check. I now have a new passport but I do not think it is mandatory to update the details online, just advisable. I am a bit paranoid about sending important documentation through the post.
                You should update the details of the new passport asap as your status is linked to the passport. The good news is you do not have to send the new passport to update the details, you can do this online, without sending the physical document Update your UK Visas and Immigration account details: Update your UKVI account details - GOV.UK

More step by step info in this video Redirecting...

Please note that it will take several weeks before the update is actually recorded by the Home Office. Do not worry this is normal.

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

I did try online but when I went into my account it would only give me the options to update my personal details (passwords etc) but not actual passport information. This may be because I applied through a paper form although the existing old passport details are all online and correct. I will try again soon I did not know about the delay in updating the website with the Home Office.

Here is an extract from Public Technology.net. I can provide a link.

“We advise applicants to use the online Update Your Details service to update their passport information whenever it changes,” he said. “When an update is made, the applicant will then use their new passport number to access their digital status. Updating document details is advised, but not mandatory. Applicants can continue to log into their status using the document number they applied with.”

I will eventually update the passport details but I understand the above as saying that so long as you have the original document you applied with matches the document online everything should be in order.

Comment

I did try online but when I went into my account it would only give me the options to update my personal details (passwords etc) but not actual passport information. This may be because I applied through a paper form although the existing old passport details are all online and correct. I will try again soon I did not know about the delay in updating the website with the Home Office.

Here is an extract from Public Technology.net. I can provide a link.

“We advise applicants to use the online Update Your Details service to update their passport information whenever it changes,” he said. “When an update is made, the applicant will then use their new passport number to access their digital status. Updating document details is advised, but not mandatory. Applicants can continue to log into their status using the document number they applied with.”

I will eventually update the passport details but I understand the above as saying that so long as you have the original document you applied with matches the document online everything should be in order.
                    Yes, the status itself isn't invalid just because the passport you used to apply has expired, and if you need to prove your status here in the UK you can do so via share code regardless of the passport number you use to log in to generate the code, the link to the passport is mostly for border control when arriving from abroad.

Comment

Correct!

Please let us know if you manage to update passport details online - it would be useful to know for others who did the initial application with the paper form. Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                      X