Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query AN in Progress through PR, no SS

Hi,

My partner and I (French and Bulgarian) submitted our citizenship application in December 2020, while only having PR. We attended biometrics appointment in January this year.

We both still have only PR granted but are aware that after 30th June we need to have a status to be able to stay in the UK.

The Home Office requirements for citizenship application with a PR were that we can apply with it as long as we don’t have a settled status and only hold PR. We are fast approaching the deadline for applying for settled status and haven’t heard from the Home Office on our citizenship application yet which really stresses my partner out.

I wanted to ask if we were OK to go through the process of swapping our PR for SS now, although our citizenship application was through the PR route. Would this affect it or do we need to contact the Home Office with the SS?

Originally posted by MoChridhe View Post
    Hi,

My partner and I (French and Bulgarian) submitted our citizenship application in December 2020, while only having PR. We attended biometrics appointment in January this year.

We both still have only PR granted but are aware that after 30th June we need to have a status to be able to stay in the UK.

The Home Office requirements for citizenship application with a PR were that we can apply with it as long as we don’t have a settled status and only hold PR. We are fast approaching the deadline for applying for settled status and haven’t heard from the Home Office on our citizenship application yet which really stresses my partner out.

I wanted to ask if we were OK to go through the process of swapping our PR for SS now, although our citizenship application was through the PR route. Would this affect it or do we need to contact the Home Office with the SS?
    Afternoon,

You should definitely apply for settled status, and this is in line with the government's own recommendations, we have covered all this here: Citizenship applicants without settled status - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

...where you'll see:

Citizenship applications can take up to 6 months, sometimes longer. There is additional waiting for the the ceremony.

You only become officially British on the day of the ceremony, not when you get your decision letter.

A pending citizenship application or a letter stating your application has been successful do not prove your status in the UK.

If you applied for citizenship with a PR card, these will no longer prove your status in the UK and you will need to apply for settled status.

You can still use the PR card number to apply for settled status, as noted here: Applying with PR

You need to apply for settled status before the end of June 2021.

If you applied for citizenship with ILR, you don't need to apply for settled status as it is also ILR.

See: Check if you can become a British citizen - GOV.UK

Staying in the UK after 30 June 2021 if you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen

You must apply for permission to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021.

If you have not been granted citizenship and had a citizenship ceremony, apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021.

Citizenship applications usually take around 6 months to process and may take longer. You cannot stay in the UK after 30 June 2021 while you wait for citizenship, unless you have permission to stay here in another way. For example, if you have settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

As you can see, there's very clear advice from the government regarding this, so it's not necessary to contact them to inform them of your settled status application, since the citizenship application was made on the basis of PR, which is still accepted for applicants without settled status, till the end of June.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

Thank you for your advise. Our concern was that since the citizenship application was not decided on yet, we would end up with both statuses while it is still pending and applicants with settled status are required to use it to apply for citizenship.

I think we are overthinking it and stressing about it. Thank you again for your time and have a lovely day!

Comment

Originally posted by MoChridhe View Post
          Thank you for your advise. Our concern was that since the citizenship application was not decided on yet, we would end up with both statuses while it is still pending and applicants with settled status are required to use it to apply for citizenship.

I think we are overthinking it and stressing about it. Thank you again for your time and have a lovely day!
          Just to clarify and for the benefit of others reading this, everything cuts off at the time the application is submitted, just like your absences cut off on that day, so do all the other requirements, meaning you shouldn't have had settled status at the time you clicked the submit button, in order to use PR, however, you could obtain it at any point in the future.

Comment

Working...
          X