X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping the settled status

Hi! My question is about how to hold the settled status. I am planning to move out of the country -at least temporarily. I want to keep my settled status since I do not know if I need to come back here someday. I know I have to come back to the UK at least every 5 years to hold my settled status, but I can not find any information about how many days I have spent in the UK, do I have to rent an apartment, pay bills, etc, to prove that I have been in the country? Do I have to send this kind of information about my visits to the British government every 5th year? Or is a quick 24-48 hour trip to the hotel and take a plane back to my country alright (They could check if I have visited the country from the data they get from borders)? Thank you for the answers!

Originally posted by Maria500 View Post
    Hi! My question is about how to hold the settled status. I am planning to move out of the country -at least temporarily. I want to keep my settled status since I do not know if I need to come back here someday. I know I have to come back to the UK at least every 5 years to hold my settled status, but I can not find any information about how many days I have spent in the UK, do I have to rent an apartment, pay bills, etc, to prove that I have been in the country? Do I have to send this kind of information about my visits to the British government every 5th year? Or is a quick 24-48 hour trip to the hotel and take a plane back to my country alright (They could check if I have visited the country from the data they get from borders)? Thank you for the answers!
    Afternoon,

You may want to look here: Residence criteria

...where we have:
    A visit to the UK should reset the 5 year clock. The rules do not specify how long that visit must be, it doesn’t matter how long the visit is, it could be a single night, as long as it can be evidenced, however, lawyers recommend a longer visit if possible, i.e. a week rather than just an overnight stay.

It is very important to ensure you have suitable evidence of returning to the UK that can be provided to show you have not lost your settled status. This could be:
    • UK border passport stamps, for those whose passports get stamped, currently just non EEA nationals. Bear in mind some consulates do not return old passports when renewing them, so it's important to have alternative evidence if this is the case.
    • Used travel tickets, with boarding passes to show they've been used. As most are electronic these days, make sure you save a screenshot of the electronic boarding pass generated by your airline's app, as the apps may not store them forever.
    • Evidence of booking and paying for, accommodation in the UK: hotels, B&Bs, airbnb, etc.
    • Bank and credit card statements showing physical transactions in UK establishments such as high street shops, bars, restaurants, etc. and UK cashpoint withdrawals. Try to make some transactions while in the UK even if staying with family or friends.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

As you can see above, it's not necessary to have an address here with bills, etc. only evidence of having come back to the UK, and this has already been tested with people who obtained settled status based on historical residence, despite having moved abroad over 5 years ago, take a look:

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Working...
      X