X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Site Admin

Yes, this is really great stuff 'cause you might remember I provided them with basic evidence and was worried they might make things complicated.

if I don't visit the UK by Feb next year, the SS would lapse so I will be going back frequently now but do I need to re-apply for SS before Feb or how do I prove I visited the UK?

How often must I visit the UK with SS status for it not to lapse from now on? I will support and donate this week when I have received my paycheck. Thanks again @SiteAdmin
    Last edited by Susi0410; 27-07-2021, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Susi0410 View Post
      Site Admin

Yes, this is really great stuff 'cause you might remember I provided them with basic evidence and was worried they might make things complicated.

if I don't visit the UK by Feb next year, the SS would lapse so I will be going back frequently now but do I need to re-apply for SS before Feb or how do I prove I visited the UK?
      Settled status is valid indefinitely, that's why it's called indefinite leave to remain (or to enter if you applied outside the UK). So no, you don't have to re-apply. Just make sure you keep your evidence of having been here, as noted here: Residence criteria - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

...where we have:
      It is very important to ensure you have suitable evidence of returning to the UK that can be provided to show you have not lost your settled status. This could be:
      • UK border passport stamps, for those whose passports get stamped, currently just non EEA nationals. Bear in mind some consulates do not return old passports when renewing them, so it's important to have alternative evidence if this is the case.
      • Used travel tickets, with boarding passes to show they've been used. As most are electronic these days, make sure you save a screenshot of the electronic boarding pass generated by your airline's app, as the apps may not store them forever.
      • Evidence of booking and paying for, accommodation in the UK: hotels, B&Bs, airbnb, etc.
      • Bank and credit card statements showing physical transactions in UK establishments such as high street shops, bars, restaurants, etc. and UK cashpoint withdrawals. Try to make some transactions while in the UK even if staying with family or friends.

[How often must I visit the UK with SS status for it not to lapse from now on?
      At least once every 5 years. The post above also says:

A visit to the UK should reset the 5 year clock. The rules do not specify how long that visit must be, it doesn’t matter how long the visit is, it could be a single night, as long as it can be evidenced, however, lawyers recommend a longer visit if possible, i.e. a week rather than just an overnight stay.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

I will support and donate this week when I have received my paycheck. Thanks again @SiteAdmin
        This means a lot to us, very much appreciated!

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Site Admin ClaudLatina

Good afternoon lovely people,

I am here to tell you that today I received my status: Settled Status also known as Indefinite Leave in the UK. This is so fantastic news.

I wouldn't have managed to apply without the support and positivity of you both. Thank you for your tremendous help. Truly.
          This makes me very happy!

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Good evening Site Admin

Just wanted to come back here quickly. My SS status will lapse next year if I don't visit the UK. I want to visit the UK this month now but just for a day or two. The quarantine situation even tho lifted for EU travelers now and the test mayhem on day 2 and day 8 is just too much at the moment.

Can you please confirm if a day or two-day visit to the UK would be ok to keep my SS? This is a priority now and I want to fly over soon. Thank you.

Comment

Good evening Site Admin

Just wanted to come back here quickly. My SS status will lapse next year if I don't visit the UK. I want to visit the UK this month now but just for a day or two. The quarantine situation even tho lifted for EU travelers now and the test mayhem on day 2 and day 8 is just too much at the moment.

Can you please confirm if a day or two-day visit to the UK would be ok to keep my SS? This is a priority now and I want to fly over soon. Thank you.
              Hello again,

The Home Office has said even a day would reset it, provided it's well evidenced (this was during a meeting at the end of last year). Main thing is making sure you retain the evidence, as noted here: Residence criteria

...where we have:
              It is very important to ensure you have suitable evidence of returning to the UK that can be provided to show you have not lost your settled status. This could be:
              • UK border passport stamps, for those whose passports get stamped, currently just non EEA nationals. Bear in mind some consulates do not return old passports when renewing them, so it's important to have alternative evidence if this is the case.
              • Used travel tickets, with boarding passes to show they've been used. As most are electronic these days, make sure you save a screenshot of the electronic boarding pass generated by your airline's app, as the apps may not store them forever.
              • Evidence of booking and paying for, accommodation in the UK: hotels, B&Bs, airbnb, etc.
              • Bank and credit card statements showing physical transactions in UK establishments such as high street shops, bars, restaurants, etc. and UK cashpoint withdrawals. Try to make some transactions while in the UK even if staying with family or friends.

Comment

Thank you Site Admin I think it's the best time to travel now before the quarantine situation might kick in again and the infections going up in autumn.

Last edited by Susi0410; 02-08-2021, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Thank you Site Admin I think it's the best time to travel now before the quarantine situation might kick in again and the infections going up in autumn.
                  Morning,

I doubt this will be the case, just bear in mind we have vaccines now, something we didn't have last year. Obviously I can't predict the future, but I can't see things going back to the way they were last year, since by the autumn, every adult should be fully vaccinated in the UK and they are even planning booster shots for some. In fact, the quarantine requirements have been only removed for fully vaccinated people, so it is all related to the vaccination programs rather than anything seasonal. Cases have halved in the UK despite the official removal of restrictions such as masks and the infamous social distancing, over two weeks ago. Obviously vaccination is more effective than any of those interim measures.

Comment

Site Admin Are you suggesting they might lift off the day 2 testing for EU double vaccinated entering the UK anytime soon? From what I managed to find out even if you arrive for 1 day in the UK and wish to return the next day, you still need to do day 2 test and wait for the result (1-2 days) before you can leave the country, so technically you are forced not to leave early OR you do an additional antigen test and can leave the UK without having to wait for the other test result.

It is not the best time to visit the UK at the moment unless you want to stay longer but I must return. I have a holiday booked and I need to visit the UK at some point before end of this year.

Comment

Site Admin Are you suggesting they might lift off the day 2 testing for EU double vaccinated entering the UK anytime soon? From what I managed to find out even if you arrive for 1 day in the UK and wish to return the next day, you still need to do day 2 test and wait for the result (1-2 days) before you can leave the country, so technically you are forced not to leave early OR you do an additional antigen test and can leave the UK without having to wait for the other test result.

It is not the best time to visit the UK at the moment unless you want to stay longer but I must return. I have a holiday booked and I need to visit the UK at some point before end of this year.
                      No, I wasn't suggesting that, I just referred to your observation that they may go back to more strict rules in the autumn because there may be more infections, when there is nothing that suggests that should be the case, other than last year's experience, but then things were very different then.

Call me cynical, but I $u$pect the$e te$t requirement$ are tied in with te$t$ being quite a lucrative little indu$try, so I dont' expect them to lift that requirement.

Comment

Originally posted by Site Admin View Post

No, I wasn't suggesting that, I just referred to your observation that they may go back to more strict rules in the autumn because there may be more infections, when there is nothing that suggests that should be the case, other than last year's experience, but then things were very different then.

Call me cynical, but I $u$pect the$e te$t requirement$ are tied in with te$t$ being quite a lucrative little indu$try, so I dont' expect them to lift that requirement.
                        Site Admin exactly that's right. The situation is the same for Biritish citizens who had the UK vaccines. If you go on holiday you must take the day 2 test on return and you must do the fit to fly test. I understand the need for these tests but I find them very humilating specially if you are already double vaccinated. This is what concerns me the most.

Comment

Site Admin Hello, I know I like coming back here ) I think I have one last question to ask since you were so helpful: I feel it's not the best time to travel to the UK for me now as it'd be a very, very short trip and the hassle is just too much with these endless tests and the humiliation I don't have the physical and emotional capacity to go through all of this at the moment. Should these restrictions continue until early next and I don't visit the UK my SS will lapse. I tried to find information about how covid related absences affect SS status but all I find is PSS.

Would you have any information?

Thank you!

Comment

Site Admin Hello, I know I like coming back here ) I think I have one last question to ask since you were so helpful: I feel it's not the best time to travel to the UK for me now as it'd be a very, very short trip and the hassle is just too much with these endless tests and the humiliation I don't have the physical and emotional capacity to go through all of this at the moment. Should these restrictions continue until early next and I don't visit the UK my SS will lapse. I tried to find information about how covid related absences affect SS status but all I find is PSS.

Would you have any information?

Thank you!
                            Morning,

The provisions are only for people without settled status, since settled status only lapses after 5 years, and this Covid malarkey isn't going to last that long. As with many other things, the Home Office hasn't really thought through every eventuality, for example, the fact that people are still getting settled status despite having left the UK a few years ago.

We had another member who applied from abroad and was granted settled status and queried whether the 5 years begin when settled status was granted or when they left the UK a few years ago, I tagged a lawyer who said the 5 years start to run when settled status was granted, however, I wasn't convinced this was the case, as they'd already been abroad for 4 years and a further 5 would mean having been away for a total of 9 years. I sent an email enquiry to the Home Office and, in this case, never got a response. I didn't even ask about Covid, just a simpler question regarding when the 5 years should start. So you can see why it would be impossible to find this info, since it simply does not exist.

If it was me, I would make the effort to come here for at least a few days before the 5 years are up. With increased vaccination in most parts of the world, including here, all this is likely to become less and less onerous once they lose the fear of hospitals getting full, etc. which is largely fuelled by scientific advisors who always want to err on the side of caution when doing their job, a bit like me when doing mine, i.e. making sure people don't lose their status rather than assuming the 5 years should run from when you were granted settled status. Just sayin'...

Comment

Thanks Site Admin I am honestly confused. The PCR test that needs to be done is worrying me. We all have our own medical history and I am not an easy patient I am in a different situation. I could provide a letter from my GP to confirm this. I will come over but I am not sure if I should wait and hope the PCR is not mandatory for double vaccinated individuals.

Yes, I thought such info would not exist and I doubt the SS starts from the day it is granted.

Comment

Thanks Site Admin I am honestly confused. The PCR test that needs to be done is worrying me. We all have our own medical history and I am not an easy patient I am in a different situation. I could provide a letter from my GP to confirm this. I will come over but I am not sure if I should wait and hope the PCR is not mandatory for double vaccinated individuals.

Yes, I thought such info would not exist and I doubt the SS starts from the day it is granted.
                                I have just sent another email enquiry about this, as I was also going to send an enquiry about another point relating to out-of-country EUSS applications.

Comment

Working...
                                X