Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continue residence for non ea parents with PSS

Hi,
    My non ea parents got their pre settlement status in march. They want to go to india for few months. But we are not sure if it will effect their residence continuity later on when apply for settled status. Please help me with information about the absence period we can take during these 5 years or every year. Thank you.

Originally posted by Jitkr View Post
    Hi,
    My non ea parents got their pre settlement status in march. They want to go to india for few months. But we are not sure if it will effect their residence continuity later on when apply for settled status. Please help me with information about the absence period we can take during these 5 years or every year. Thank you.
    Afternoon,

You may want to refer to this post: Absences and residence for people with pre-settled status

...where you'll see:
    Pre-settled status lapses after spending a period of two years or longer, out of the UK.

However, you need to make sure you maintain continuity of residence in order to secure settled status when pre-settled status expires, 5 years after it was granted.

Although pre-settled status allows up to 2 years outside the UK without losing your status, if you spend more than 6 months outside the UK in any 12 month period, during the 5 years you need to get settled status, you will not be able to apply for settled status, nor will you be able to extend your pre-settled status.

This means that, if you break the continuity of residence during the 5 years your pre-settled status is valid for, you will only be able to stay in the UK until the expiry date of your pre-settled status, after that, you will have to either leave the UK or find another route to stay here, such as applying for a visa under the UK Immigration Rules, which may not be easy, nor an option for everyone.

Pre-settled status is valid for 5 years from the date it was granted, this is your ultimate deadline to apply for settled status, but you can apply as soon as you have completed your 5 year period of residence.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

In a nutshell, they can go back for a few months, but they need to make sure they spend at least 6 months out of every 12, here in the UK, as they will need to provide evidence of that when it comes to applying for settled status. For that reason, it's important that they keep evidence of their time spent in the UK, particularly if they are not working or studying. Having bills in their name, bank statements showing card payments made in the UK, etc. should help when it comes to applying for settled status. See also: Documents

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Working...
      X