Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-settled to settled: absence and time-sensitive evidence

Hi all,

I have a question about evidencing my long absence from the UK and that it was for an 'important reason'. I am an EU national, studying with a UK university. I have been living in the UK since September 2018, have pre-settled status and would like to upgrade to settled once I'm eligible in September 2023. From September 2018 to September 2020, I only left the UK for short holidays so I had no significant absences. In August 2020, however, my university announced full online teaching for the academic year 2020/21 - this meant we were allowed to complete the year remotely from any country because of the pandemic. I returned to my home country (EU) and stayed there with my family for over 11 months. I returned to the UK before the permitted 12-month (or 360-day) timeframe expired and am currently here. I know I will need to submit a cover letter and evidence when I apply for settled in the future, and because my absence was just under 12 months, every day counts. I have gathered evidence but I'm terrified that something will go wrong and I won't be able to stay in the UK long-term.

I have:
    • screenshots from my university's website, announcing online teaching, allowing students to go abroad
    • end-of-year transcript, evidencing I completed the uni year
    • student status confirmation for previous academic years + transcripts
    • official letters from the airline that I took flights with them (both when leaving the UK in Sept 2020 and returning in Aug 2021)
    • letter from the London accommodation I stayed at initially after returning from the absence, confirming my residence and when I checked in
    • official letter from my current employer that I am working for them and present in the UK (I started working for them the day after I arrived back in Aug 2021)
    • dated letter from the Student Loans Company, showing my UK address after returning
    • Monzo bank statement showing spending in the UK in Aug 2021
    • dated mobile phone bill showing my UK address
    As for evidencing when I left the UK in Sept 2020, I can show my P45 because my employment ended the day before I left the country in 2020.

Is there any other type of proof I need to gather? I am quite stressed that I am missing something that I won't be able to produce years down the line.

Also: I applied for pre-settled status when I was still in the UK, but was granted the status months later, during my absence. Does that make any difference?

Any help much appreciated!

Originally posted by B1010 View Post
    Hi all,

I have a question about evidencing my long absence from the UK and that it was for an 'important reason'. I am an EU national, studying with a UK university. I have been living in the UK since September 2018, have pre-settled status and would like to upgrade to settled once I'm eligible in September 2023. From September 2018 to September 2020, I only left the UK for short holidays so I had no significant absences. In August 2020, however, my university announced full online teaching for the academic year 2020/21 - this meant we were allowed to complete the year remotely from any country because of the pandemic. I returned to my home country (EU) and stayed there with my family for over 11 months. I returned to the UK before the permitted 12-month (or 360-day) timeframe expired and am currently here. I know I will need to submit a cover letter and evidence when I apply for settled in the future, and because my absence was just under 12 months, every day counts. I have gathered evidence but I'm terrified that something will go wrong and I won't be able to stay in the UK long-term.

I have:
    • screenshots from my university's website, announcing online teaching, allowing students to go abroad
    • end-of-year transcript, evidencing I completed the uni year
    • student status confirmation for previous academic years + transcripts
    • official letters from the airline that I took flights with them (both when leaving the UK in Sept 2020 and returning in Aug 2021)
    • letter from the London accommodation I stayed at initially after returning from the absence, confirming my residence and when I checked in
    • official letter from my current employer that I am working for them and present in the UK (I started working for them the day after I arrived back in Aug 2021)
    • dated letter from the Student Loans Company, showing my UK address after returning
    • Monzo bank statement showing spending in the UK in Aug 2021
    • dated mobile phone bill showing my UK address
    As for evidencing when I left the UK in Sept 2020, I can show my P45 because my employment ended the day before I left the country in 2020.

Is there any other type of proof I need to gather? I am quite stressed that I am missing something that I won't be able to produce years down the line.

Also: I applied for pre-settled status when I was still in the UK, but was granted the status months later, during my absence. Does that make any difference?

Any help much appreciated!
    Afternoon,

As you were away less than 12 months, you should be covered by the standard provision for an absence for up to 12 months for an important reason, in this case studies, as well as the specific Covid provisions, as noted here: UPDATE: Impact of COVID19 on EUSS applications

...specifically:

Originally posted by Site Admin View Post
    • advised by your university that, due to coronavirus, your course was moved to remote learning and you were advised or allowed to return to your home country to study remotely
    • advised by your university or employer not to return to the UK, and to continue studying or working remotely from your home country
    • absent from the UK for another reason relating to coronavirus, for example, you left or remained outside the UK because there were fewer coronavirus restrictions elsewhere; you preferred to work or run a business from home overseas; or you would have been unemployed in the UK and preferred to rely on support from family or friends overseas
    This means you can rely on any coronavirus related reason (including where you chose to leave or remain outside the UK because of the pandemic) as being an ‘important reason’ permitting an absence of up to 12 months. In these circumstances, you will not have broken your continuous qualifying period of residence.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

I should think you've got more than enough evidence to cover the reasons for your absence as well as your return and residence here upon your return!

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Working...
      X