X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Processing time EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone has recently applied for an EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit (from outside the UK) and knows how long it usually takes to process? I am a British citizen living with my German partner in Germany (unmarried partner). I will be returning to the UK next month, so my partner applied for an EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit, so he can join me in the UK. However, we are still waiting on a decision and my partner's passport is currently being held at the TLS visa centre. When my partner provided his biometrics, he was told that he could come and collect his passport in three weeks (15 working days), but three weeks have now passed and we are still waiting on a decision.

Grateful for any advice.

Best wishes

Originally posted by sunseaandsand View Post
    Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone has recently applied for an EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit (from outside the UK) and knows how long it usually takes to process? I am a British citizen living with my German partner in Germany (unmarried partner). I will be returning to the UK next month, so my partner applied for an EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit, so he can join me in the UK. However, we are still waiting on a decision and my partner's passport is currently being held at the TLS visa centre. When my partner provided his biometrics, he was told that he could come and collect his passport in three weeks (15 working days), but three weeks have now passed and we are still waiting on a decision.

Grateful for any advice.

Best wishes
    Evening,

Unfortunately there was a large volume of family permits submitted this year, mostly due to the requirement to prove dependency for parents which began from the 1st of July, which has led to a backlog and long delays. People have often waited 3+ months.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Many thanks for your response. As we were advised it would only take 15 business days to process, do you know if there is any way to get my partner's passport back without having to withdraw the application? We only just found out that we could have paid a fee to retain his passport during the process, which we would have done if we would have known it would take much longer (potentially 3+ months) to process the family permit.

Thank you for your help.

Comment

Many thanks for your response. As we were advised it would only take 15 business days to process, do you know if there is any way to get my partner's passport back without having to withdraw the application? We only just found out that we could have paid a fee to retain his passport during the process, which we would have done if we would have known it would take much longer (potentially 3+ months) to process the family permit.

Thank you for your help.
        If you applied for a visa from outside the UK. You must contact the visa application centre where the application was made. Get contact details using our visa application centre.

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Thank you for the information. Unfortunately, it says on the website that my partner would have to withdraw his application in order to get his passport back.

Comment

Thank you for the information. Unfortunately, it says on the website that my partner would have to withdraw his application in order to get his passport back.
            I know this is very annoying, if they were applying from within the UK it would have been possible to request the passport without withdrawing the application, unfortunately, this is not always possible when applying from abroad. It is annoying, but in reality, they will only be able to travel (at least to the UK) once the application is approved anyway and the visa is on their passport, so I guess it is just a matter of being patient.

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Thank you for your advice. Yes, annoyingly, it said that this kind of visa would be processed in 15 business days, so we naively assumed this would be the case. Really wish we had just paid paid the extortionate fee for the added service to retain my partner's passport during the process, but we didn't think it would be necessary. We'll just have to sit tight and hope a decision will be made soon.

Many thanks again.

Comment

Thank you for your help.
                Thank you for your advice. Yes, annoyingly, it said that this kind of visa would be processed in 15 business days, so we naively assumed this would be the case. Really wish we had just paid paid the extortionate fee for the added service to retain my partner's passport during the process, but we didn't think it would be necessary. We'll just have to sit tight and hope a decision will be made soon.

Many thanks again.
                Morning,

Unfortunately there's a lot of confusion with this, as is so often the case with government information. Family permits fall under the "entry clearance" visa category, which also includes visit visas. It is to those visit visas, that the 15 days apply. I recall there being something written somewhere, to say that did not apply to family permits. Even when they didn't have as many applications, I don't recall them ever taking as little as 15 days.

If you look at this page: Visa decision waiting times: applications outside the UK - GOV.UK

...they just say:
                If you are applying for an EEA family permit or an EUSS family permit you will get a decision as soon as possible after proving your identity and provided your documents.
                The standard process has always been to submit the passport with the application and for it to be retained, as the visa is an endorsement on one of the passport pages. Applications are handled by TLS and VFS depending on the country where they are submitted. It sounds like some of these offices have introduced this new service, whereby the applicant can pay to retain their passport, but this wasn't the norm. I've read about applications made in Pakistan, where they were given passports back and then asked to re-submit them once a decision was made, however, this wasn't the usual way to handle the application. Those outfits may well have introduced this service in order to make some extra ca$h.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Thank you so much for providing further information; this is really useful and I appreciate all the support from this forum.

Comment

Hi there, We're still awaiting a decision on the EUSS family permit and haven't received any further updates. I will already be returning to the UK on 19 August. Do you know how long it usually takes to process a Skilled Workers Visa? Would it perhaps make more sense to withdraw the application for the EUSS family permit and for my partner to apply for the Skilled Workers Visa instead? Many thanks for your advice.

Comment

Hi there, We're still awaiting a decision on the EUSS family permit and haven't received any further updates. I will already be returning to the UK on 19 August. Do you know how long it usually takes to process a Skilled Workers Visa? Would it perhaps make more sense to withdraw the application for the EUSS family permit and for my partner to apply for the Skilled Workers Visa instead? Many thanks for your advice.
                      Afternoon,

Due to the number of applications received in the run up to the end of June, long delays are inevitable, couple with the usual Covid nuisance still affecting services in various locations, so I'm afraid you'll just have to be patient.

I wouldn't recommend withdrawing the application for the family permit and going down the skilled worker visa, this isn't as simple as it sounds. It's not just a matter of having the relevant skills, it is necessary to obtain a FIRM job offer from an employer who has a valid sponsor license and is willing to sponsor the employee via this route, including the payment of visa fees. Skilled workers are then tied up to their sponsor employer for 5 years, they can't just change jobs without getting Home Office approval and, should they lose their job, they would find themselves out of status here. They have no recourse to public funds (benefits) during those 5 years and, in addition to visa fee$, will also need to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge for those 5 years.

Then, if all goes according to plan, they will qualify for ILR, however, ILR via that route co$t$ over £2,200, unlike settled status which is free, and also ILR. And to top it all, that kind of ILR lapses after only two years out of the UK as opposed to five. So no, there's no way I'd recommend that option instead of waiting for the family permit.

Comment

Thank you for your response and all the information regarding the skilled worker visa. I guess we'll just have to be patient.

Comment

Thank you for your response and all the information regarding the skilled worker visa. I guess we'll just have to be patient.
                          Afternoon,

As they say, good things come to those who wait!

Comment

Hi again,

I just came across this post about the temporary concession regarding the EUSS:

Temporary Concession

The EUSS Guidance was updated on the 21st of July. Page 98 says the following:

The requirement that a person applying as a joining family of a relevant sponsor must not be in the UK as a visitor’, in accordance with that definition in Annex 1 to Appendix EU, is disapplied, as a temporary concession outside Appendix EU, where the applicant’s leave as a visitor expires on or before 30 December 2021. This includes applicants who entered the UK from 1 January to 30 June 2021 with six months’ visitor leave, and those who arrive after 30 June 2021 but whose visitor leave is of less than six months’ duration. It also includes applicants who make a late application, where there are reasonable grounds for them having missed the deadline, if they are still visitors when they apply.

Does that mean my partner could apply for a visitor visa, travel with me to the UK and then apply for pre-settled status from the UK without needing the EUSS Family Permit?

Thank you for your help.

Comment

Hi again,

I just came across this post about the temporary concession regarding the EUSS:

Temporary Concession

The EUSS Guidance was updated on the 21st of July. Page 98 says the following:

The requirement that a person applying as a joining family of a relevant sponsor must not be in the UK as a visitor’, in accordance with that definition in Annex 1 to Appendix EU, is disapplied, as a temporary concession outside Appendix EU, where the applicant’s leave as a visitor expires on or before 30 December 2021. This includes applicants who entered the UK from 1 January to 30 June 2021 with six months’ visitor leave, and those who arrive after 30 June 2021 but whose visitor leave is of less than six months’ duration. It also includes applicants who make a late application, where there are reasonable grounds for them having missed the deadline, if they are still visitors when they apply.

Does that mean my partner could apply for a visitor visa, travel with me to the UK and then apply for pre-settled status from the UK without needing the EUSS Family Permit?

Thank you for your help.
                              Afternoon,

If you look at the wording above, it says that it only applies to people who entered before the end of June, or those who enter after, but whose leave is less than six months. As standard leave for visitors in the UK is six months, I'm afraid this wouldn't really apply to most people entering after the end of June, and I did discuss this with the Home Office during our meeting last week.

Comment

Working...
                              X