Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query Living in UK for 16 years but told no evidence of even 6 months by HMRC

Hello everyone

I hope that you can help me. I have lived in the UK for the last 16 years, a mixture of work and studying, with the last 5 years working in different full time jobs. When I applied for the settled status I received a response saying that there was no evidence of me living here for even 6 months, even though I have been paying taxes and NI for over 8 out of the 16 years that I have been here.

I received an email shortly after this highlighting that there had been an error that was flagging some people as not eligible for the pre-settled/settled status even though they had been living in the UK for the qualifying amount of time and I was encouraged to resubmit my application.

Unfortunately this is not working and when I contacted the HMRC helpdesk they said that they were sorry but I needed to submit further evidence. Is there anything else I can do?

In terms of further evidence, what is the best way to show that I have resided in the UK for the last 5 years? I am thinking of sending my annual bank account summary (though this covers 4.5 years) and contacting my former employer 5 years ago to provide evidence of the remaining time. What do you think? I also have evidence of my work record from 2006 - 2009.

I feel quite betrayed and outraged about this as, of no fault of my own, due to an error on their part, I am having to gather evidence to prove that I have been here for any time, even though I have a clear tax and employment record, as well as been part of the electoral roll.

Please let me know your thoughts and thank you in advance for your help!

Hi, there is no need to be outraged or alarmed by this. The automated checks only cover the last 7 years and even then the automated system does not always find sufficient evidence of the applicant's residence. However, this can be easily rectified by providing extra evidence, after which the application is assessed by a caseworker and most applicants get their approval very soon after. This has happened to lots of other people too and is no cause for concern.

Please read these links for extra information about the process and the type of residence evidence that can be submitted:

EU Settlement Scheme - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

How residence is assessed by the system - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

Evidence of residence - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

and finally

Documents that can be used as evidence - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families
    I am an Admin and a volunteer, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities.

Comment

Working...
    X