Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mailing cigarettes from Italy

Good morning,
    I live in London e I used to go in Italy really often and come back bringing with me the quantity of cigarettes approved by law, because I like an Italian brand that it is impossible to find it here. In this period, that it is impossible to travel, I asked my friend to mailed from Italy to UK 400 cigarettes. It was a little package where my friend wrote in the form that the package contained "a book".
    Now I read a few website and become aware that we have done an illegal action, I would like to know if it is true that we cannot send cigarettes from private to private and the consequence if the Royal Mail open the package, and also if there is a way to have delivered them legally.
    Many thanks

Originally posted by Ameli4 View Post
    Good morning,
    I live in London e I used to go in Italy really often and come back bringing with me the quantity of cigarettes approved by law, because I like an Italian brand that it is impossible to find it here. In this period, that it is impossible to travel, I asked my friend to mailed from Italy to UK 400 cigarettes. It was a little package where my friend wrote in the form that the package contained "a book".
    Now I read a few website and become aware that we have done an illegal action, I would like to know if it is true that we cannot send cigarettes from private to private and the consequence if the Royal Mail open the package, and also if there is a way to have delivered them legally.
    Many thanks
    Hi Ameli4,

I am sorry but we just don't know.

This board deals with applications of settlement scheme and UK citizenship, what you are asking is outside the scope and expertise of this forum.

Best wishes.

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Ameli4 View Post
      Good morning,
      Many thanks
      Hi Ameli,

I would kindly recommend you to consult a solicitor for your case, as tobacco smuggling is a delicate topic in UK.

UKCEN doesn't deal with these cases.
      I am not affiliated to any firm and I am doing this independently on my own, no one is paying me for this.
      I am not one of the forum volunteers.
      I hope to start working as paralegal soon.
      If I helped you, a thumbs-up is always appreciated.

Comment

If the law hasn't changed after 31.12.2020, it is not illegal to have somebody to send cigarettes to you from abroad, but you need to prove it was a personal gift and the sender sent it "bona fide". However, the customs can seize the shipment and/or impose custom and VAT duties.

Comment

Originally posted by PorkScratcher View Post
          If the law hasn't changed after 31.12.2020, it is not illegal to have somebody to send cigarettes to you from abroad, but you need to prove it was a personal gift and the sender sent it "bona fide". However, the customs can seize the shipment and/or impose custom and VAT duties.
          I really doubt a parcel with more than 3-4 cigarettes packs falls within "bona fide"
          I am not affiliated to any firm and I am doing this independently on my own, no one is paying me for this.
          I am not one of the forum volunteers.
          I hope to start working as paralegal soon.
          If I helped you, a thumbs-up is always appreciated.

Comment

Working...
          X