>> CLICK HERE TO START A NEW POST <<

(you need to log in to post)

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Citizenship - can a spouse married to a British Citizen & a carer obtain British citizenship

Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Success Citizenship - can a spouse married to a British Citizen & a carer obtain British citizenship

Hi everyone , This is my first post , few weeks ago i obtained my SS , and i would love to start a journey to become British citizen ,
    My only worry is that i am a full time carer to my disabled British husband -and as his care is 24/7 i was unable to work
    if there anyone in similar situation who managed to obtain British Citizenship? as least i want to do is make an application (after i do LIUK test and English test ) and be refused and lose the money i have been saving ,
    A bit about me Im Polish (Eu citizen ) been married to my husband for over 10 years he was a homeless veteran when i meet him. we also have Child and shes born in the UK
    thank you for any help and suggestion

Originally posted by raija88 View Post
    Hi everyone , This is my first post , few weeks ago i obtained my SS , and i would love to start a journey to become British citizen ,
    My only worry is that i am a full time carer to my disabled British husband -and as his care is 24/7 i was unable to work
    if there anyone in similar situation who managed to obtain British Citizenship? as least i want to do is make an application (after i do LIUK test and English test ) and be refused and lose the money i have been saving ,
    A bit about me Im Polish (Eu citizen ) been married to my husband for over 10 years he was a homeless veteran when i meet him. we also have Child and shes born in the UK
    thank you for any help and suggestion
    Morning,

There is no reason why your application wouldn't be successful if you meet the rest of the criteria, since there is no requirement to work to apply for citizenship, as clearly stated here: Employment, financial requirements and treaty rights for citizenship - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

...where you'll see:

There is no requirement to be working, or exercising treaty rights, once you are free from immigration controls. This means having PR, ILR or Settled Status.

Unemployment does not affect citizenship applications.

There are no income, earnings, savings nor self-sufficiency requirements for British citizenship.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

You may want to look at the following resources:...as well as the potential impact of naturalisation on any family members you may wish to sponsor in the future: Naturalisation and impact on spouses and family members - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

Thank you so much , i read all the information few days ago , i just wanted to find out if anyone on this forum actually managed to gain the citizenship while being a full time care

Comment

Thank you so much , i read all the information few days ago , i just wanted to find out if anyone on this forum actually managed to gain the citizenship while being a full time care
          We had a few carers who naturalised and their posts are in the FB forum - I cannot recall specific names - but I know for certain they were able to naturalise after obtaining settled status and being married to a British citizen. Being a carer is is not an obstacle to becoming a British citizens if all the criteria of naturalisation are met and my colleague Site Admin has provided very good resources for you to read, so you are guided to making your application.

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

Yes, we had carers and stay-at-home parents. We had previously been running a Facebook group since 2016 and only launched this forum in May, so we do have a lot more members than those who have posted their queries on the forum, as well as a lot more successes than the ones you see in our successes area, if you see what I mean. But the Facebook group was a closed group where people posted using their own FB accounts, thus their own names, so we cannot point you in that direction, but we know that's not an issue at all, as long as the applicants meet the rest of the criteria.

Comment

Thank you both , and i do apologize for late reply , do you think it would also help if i supplied carers allowence letter confirming that i am in receipt of carers allowance ? if so for how many years of letters ?

Comment

Thank you both , and i do apologize for late reply , do you think it would also help if i supplied carers allowence letter confirming that i am in receipt of carers allowance ? if so for how many years of letters ?
                Morning,

No need to apologise.

Those letters could certainly be used to prove residence, as noted here: Evidence of residence - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

...where it says:

...Government Department letters could include letters you have received from the DWP, HMRC, DVLA, or any other Government Department.
                If the applicant is married to a British citizen, then the relevant period is just the last 3 years, so evidence of residence must be provided for that period.

Comment

Thank you , one more question , do i need to send my bank statment with the application ? or can i use something else other than bank statemt ?
                  why i am asking is that my carers money go to my husband account which is a "saver" type one that he refuses to change becouse it was his first account , my own bank account is mainly use to put money in ( after i take them out from my husband saver account) and pay bills and do shoping etc

Comment

Thank you , one more question , do i need to send my bank statment with the application ? or can i use something else other than bank statemt ?
                    why i am asking is that my carers money go to my husband account which is a "saver" type one that he refuses to change becouse it was his first account , my own bank account is mainly use to put money in ( after i take them out from my husband saver account) and pay bills and do shoping etc
                    There is no requirement to send bank statements with the application, they are mentioned because they can be used to prove residence in the UK, but this would only work if the account shows physical transactions (such as cashpoint withdrawals and payments in shops, bars, restaurants, etc.) in the UK. But there are many other documents that can be used for that purpose, as noted here: Evidence of residence - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

...where you'll find:

• Documentary evidence that indicates presence in the UK during the 5 years. This can be in the form of letters from employers, educational establishments or other Government Departments. A sample of these documents, at least one from each of the 3 or 5 years, should be submitted.
                    • Continued presence in the country can be shown by enclosing lists of attended appointments from GPs, dentist, physiotherapist, dental hygienist and hospital consultant (i.e. hospital appointments).
                    • Your children's school attendance records and letters confirming you drop them off and pick them up.
                    • Bank and credit card statements showing physical transactions made in the UK.
                    • A P60 from an employer would be equivalent to a letter from an employer and Government Department letters could include letters you have received from the DWP, HMRC, DVLA, or any other Government Department.
                    Although the Home Office prefers official documents from government departments, if you are unable to provide them, or the other items on the list above, you can send anything that has your name, address and a date on it.

You may want to explain in your cover letter and/or additional information section of the form, why you are unable to provide their preferred evidence.
                    If you have evidence of receipt of carers' allowance, that should work as evidence of residence, since you need to be caring for someone living in the UK to be awarded the benefit. In fact, most benefits have a requirement to be living here, so benefits awards and/or proof of receipt (such as payments) can be used to prove residence.

Comment

Originally posted by Site Admin View Post

There is no requirement to send bank statements with the application, they are mentioned because they can be used to prove residence in the UK, but this would only work if the account shows physical transactions (such as cashpoint withdrawals and payments in shops, bars, restaurants, etc.) in the UK. But there are many other documents that can be used for that purpose, as noted here: Evidence of residence - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

...where you'll find:

If you have evidence of receipt of carers' allowance, that should work as evidence of residence, since you need to be caring for someone living in the UK to be awarded the benefit. In fact, most benefits have a requirement to be living here, so benefits awards and/or proof of receipt (such as payments) can be used to prove residence.
                      oh so thats even better s i am paying money in and "spending them" if that makes sense - so there is contant "movement in my account" - i think i submit both the statment and carers allowence award , thank you , will report again after i pass both tests in next 5 days so i can crack on with the application and paperwork

Comment

oh so thats even better s i am paying money in and "spending them" if that makes sense - so there is contant "movement in my account" - i think i submit both the statment and carers allowence award , thank you , will report again after i pass both tests in next 5 days so i can crack on with the application and paperwork
                        Best of luck and do keep us posted!

Comment

Best of luck and do keep us posted!
                          me again , passed b1 test(yay) and tomorrow i have lituk test , i just realized that i have another 2 questions - 1 on application (i looked through the forum) where my British husband details ae required - do i need to submit his british passport or can i use his driving license? ( why i am asking is that his passport expired so if its needed i need to renew it too )
                          question no 2 - do UKCEN have any Lawyers who practice around Cardiff ? as i think i might need some face to face help (i think that stress of being in the eyes of gvt "just carer" is getting to me, so maybe it be worth having someone look into all the documents i collected so far.

Comment

me again , passed b1 test(yay) and tomorrow i have lituk test , i just realized that i have another 2 questions - 1 on application (i looked through the forum) where my British husband details ae required - do i need to submit his british passport or can i use his driving license? ( why i am asking is that his passport expired so if its needed i need to renew it too )
                            It has to be the passport, but it will only have to be a digital version of it, he will not have to part with the original.

question no 2 - do UKCEN have any Lawyers who practice around Cardiff ? as i think i might need some face to face help (i think that stress of being in the eyes of gvt "just carer" is getting to me, so maybe it be worth having someone look into all the documents i collected so far.
                            As previously stated, being a carer is no impediment to obtaining citizenship and we've had other successful applications from members in a similar situation. There are no financial nor activity requirements for naturalisation, also as previously stated, so this isn't an issue at all. Applications are assessed based on specific guidance that says what should be taken into account, not personal perceptions you may have heard about online or in the media.

We do have a team of lawyers you can contact directly, but do bear in mind that getting a lawyer to check all your documents (as opposed to just a consultation) would take time and this would be reflected in the fee. Also bear in mind these days everything can be done remotely, so there's no need to be face-to-face. The details of our lawyers can be found here: Lawyers - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

Comment

It has to be the passport, but it will only have to be a digital version of it, he will not have to part with the original.

As previously stated, being a carer is no impediment to obtaining citizenship and we've had other successful applications from members in a similar situation. There are no financial nor activity requirements for naturalisation, also as previously stated, so this isn't an issue at all. Applications are assessed based on specific guidance that says what should be taken into account, not personal perceptions you may have heard about online or in the media.

We do have a team of lawyers you can contact directly, but do bear in mind that getting a lawyer to check all your documents (as opposed to just a consultation) would take time and this would be reflected in the fee. Also bear in mind these days everything can be done remotely, so there's no need to be face-to-face. The details of our lawyers can be found here: Lawyers - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families
                              thank you so much for a speedy answer , i give it a good think over , ps i passed LITUK test today , so from next week i get onto renewing his passport - what do you mean by digital version please ( sorry if its a silly question ) you mean a photocopy? aka scanned onto a file ?

Comment

Working...
                              X