X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Success British citizenship approved

Me: French national married to UK national (born in Canada - naturalised during mother's naturalisation at age 18)

Timeline:
    19.12.12 - entry into the UK
    12.02.13 to 07.09.15 - continuously employed (2 successive jobs)
    08.09.15 to march 2017 - not working, not seeking employment (had baby in dec 2015)
    March 2017 - husband puts me on his work health insurance
    March 2019 - applied and got Settled Status (by presenting Council tax bills AND bank statements for every 6 months over the last 3 years)
    04.04.19 - applied for naturalisation

since then you'll have read my regular moans about not having news.

I now have news.

Their e-mail

I refer to your application for British citizenship. Before we can proceed further please send scanned copies of the required documents to the following email address nationalityfurtherinformationrequests@homeoffice.g ov.uk by 11-May-2020.
    • Passport(s) or travel document(s) to cover the period from 03-April-2016 to 03-April-2019.

If you are a national of a European Union member state or of Switzerland, you should provide alternative evidence of your residence in the UK to cover this period in addition to any passport or travel document you hold.

The attached annex outlines the evidence you should provide.

Please note, we are unable to use the Council Tax invoices you have provided for evidence of residence. Please see the attached annex for acceptable examples of evidence of residence.

The documents / information are required to demonstrate to the Secretary of State that the requirements for citizenship are met.

Failure to reply to this email by the date given may result in the application being refused.

UNQUOTE

Their guidance:

ALTERNATIVE EVIDENCE OF RESIDENCE FOR A EUROPEAN UNION NATIONAL OR A CITIZEN OF SWITZERLAND

If you are a national of the European Union or Switzerland who has been in the UK in exercise of your right to free movement during your qualifying period of residence, you should send alternative evidence of your residence in this period as well as your passport.
    Examples of alternative evidence are:

Employed / unemployed
    · Letters from employers confirming your dates of employment.
    · Salary or wage slips.
    · P60 tax certificates.
    · Statements from HM Revenue & Customs confirming the dates of payment of National Insurance contributions.
    · Letters from the Department of Work and Pensions confirming the dates of receipt of job seeker’s allowance, incapacity benefit, child benefit etc.
    · Occupational pension statements.
    · Doctor’s letter or medical report confirming your inability to engage in economic activity due to incapacity and whether the incapacity is or is likely to be permanent.

Self-employed or business person
    · Statements from HM Revenue and Customs confirming the dates of payment of taxes and National Insurance contributions

Student
    · Letters from schools, colleges, universities or other public or private establishments confirming enrolment on a course of study or vocational training and your dates of attendance and your policy confirming sickness insurance against all risks in respect of yourself and any accompanying family members in the UK.

Self-sufficient
    · Statement(s) of funds, assets and any other sources of income held and your policy confirming sickness insurance against all risks in respect of yourself and any accompanying family members in the UK.

Retired
    · Confirmation of date of receipt of State pension (not occupational pension)

UNQUOTE

I don't think I fit in any of these criteria.

My private health insurance started March 2017

I started studying in November 2018

I don't understand how I can have SS but still be asked for the sickness insurance for April 2016 to 2019. Since being sacked for being pregnant in September 2015, I have been a stay-at-home mum, a student, a volunteer etc but I can't prove what they are asking me. Have I spent 1700 quid on nothing?

I can give them bank statements for the period in question, I can show them my enrollments in colleges etc, I think I contracted a new mortgage in that time too.

I need your advice, what do I do?

Originally posted by EstelleO View Post

I don't think I fit in any of these criteria.

My private health insurance started March 2017

I started studying in November 2018

I don't understand how I can have SS but still be asked for the sickness insurance for April 2016 to 2019. Since being sacked for being pregnant in September 2015, I have been a stay-at-home mum, a student, a volunteer etc but I can't prove what they are asking me. Have I spent 1700 quid on nothing?

I can give them bank statements for the period in question, I can show them my enrollments in colleges etc, I think I contracted a new mortgage in that time too.

I need your advice, what do I do?
    Morning,

You have just received one of their generic requests for additional evidence of residence, they used to be sent by letter in the post, I see they are now sending them by email, but the wording is the same I've seen since we started the original FB group over three years ago. The reason they ask EEA nationals for additional evidence of residence is because EEA passports are not stamped in and out of the country. You will notice their wording starts with passports and travel documents, then goes on to mention alternative evidence for an EEA national, that's the reason for it.

It's not unusual to request additional evidence of residence, what is not to common is to wait a year before asking for it!

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

Tim M (lawyer) Would you be able to comment on what they could provide as evidence of residence in view of the above?

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

health insurance is not needed so you need to provide whatever other evidence you have from their list. I have no knowledge of your circumstances but bank statements, college enrolments, GP letters, mortgage statements , council tax etc. etc etc would all be viable things to include

I am an Immigration Adviser with Commonwealth Immigration. I am also a volunteer with UKCEN, where I provide one-off advice on a pro-bono basis. This advice should not be considered a substitute for formal legal advice. Please see Tim M for full details.

Comment

I am just compiling a massive list of documents for them. They are not accepting my council tax bills as evidence (Why?????).

I have spoken to one of their colleagues on an anonymous basis and they said that wording is outdated.

What I don't understand is why I am being asked this when I have SS therefore I have satisfied residency requirements prior to applying.

Comment

I am just compiling a massive list of documents for them. They are not accepting my council tax bills as evidence (Why?????).
            In the past, I had similar experiences with the DWP, arguing that council tax bills were not proof of residence, because you could keep the direct debits running to make sure payments are being made, while you are living abroad, and you could be letting out/subletting the property without changing the name on the bills. Just saying what the arguments could be against them.

I have spoken to one of their colleagues on an anonymous basis and they said that wording is outdated.
            If you are referring to the wording that refers to exercising treaty rights, having CSI, etc., that's very true, 4 years out of date, since PR cards started being required for EEA nationals applying for citizenship since November 2015! Before that, the requirement to be "settled" in the UK, which at the time before settled status, hinged around having acquired PR status, was assessed as part of the nationality application itself, hence the wording mentioning those requirements.

What I don't understand is why I am being asked this when I have SS therefore I have satisfied residency requirements prior to applying.
            The residence criteria for settled status is very different from the one for citizenship. For a start, it is possible to obtain settled status relying on ANY continuous 5 year period of residence, as long as you've not been out of the UK for 5 years or longer since then. For example, you could have lived here 2010-2016, then left in 2016 and not been back since, you'd still get settled status as it's not been 5 years since you left, but you wouldn't qualify for citizenship.

Even if you've been living here, you only need to spend 6 months out of every 12 in the UK, to obtain settled status, but you are only allowed 90-100 days absent in the last 12 months when applying for citizenship.

That means settled status does not mean you would also satisfy the residence requirements for citizenship. Non EEA nationals usually get their passports stamped in and out of the UK every time they travel, so they can just rely on their passports over the last 5 years to prove residence, but non EEA passports don't get stamped, hence the need for additional evidence. I hope that makes sense.

Comment

Thank you for your explanation.

I have now submitted:

Every monthly bank statements from 3rd April 2016 to 3rd April 2019
              DWP Letter confirming I will receive Mat Allowance from 04/10/15 to 02/07/16
              Child Benefit Letter
              My son's birth certificate (proving I have a child since I tell them I am a stay-at-home parent) and his passport.
              A letter from college covering my enrolment from November 2018 to date (I am still at college so they answered with a exhaustive list of everything I have studied)
              A copy of my son's Red Book showing he had his immunisation on 04.04.16
              A letter of consent for a smear test (I am THAT desperate) 16.01.17
              Solicitor's e-mail + Land Registry record showing I owned and sold a property in April 2016.
              A collection of attendance certificates for day courses from UAL, Council-lead safeguarding courses spanning September 2016 to April 2018.
              My GCSE results of August 2019
              My Maths exam results of March 2019
              My husband's P60s from 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 (since I say in my cover letter I am a SAHP and he supports me financially)
              A letter from my husband employer stating I have been benefitting from his private medical cover since October 2016.

Please let it be enough.

I have now also written to my GP asking for a complete record of all appointments I have attended for me as well as all appointments my son has attended.

I am exhausted.

Comment

Thank you for your explanation.

I have now submitted:

Every monthly bank statements from 3rd April 2016 to 3rd April 2019
                DWP Letter confirming I will receive Mat Allowance from 04/10/15 to 02/07/16
                Child Benefit Letter
                My son's birth certificate (proving I have a child since I tell them I am a stay-at-home parent) and his passport.
                A letter from college covering my enrolment from November 2018 to date (I am still at college so they answered with a exhaustive list of everything I have studied)
                A copy of my son's Red Book showing he had his immunisation on 04.04.16
                A letter of consent for a smear test (I am THAT desperate) 16.01.17
                Solicitor's e-mail + Land Registry record showing I owned and sold a property in April 2016.
                A collection of attendance certificates for day courses from UAL, Council-lead safeguarding courses spanning September 2016 to April 2018.
                My GCSE results of August 2019
                My Maths exam results of March 2019
                My husband's P60s from 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 (since I say in my cover letter I am a SAHP and he supports me financially)
                A letter from my husband employer stating I have been benefitting from his private medical cover since October 2016.

Please let it be enough.

I have now also written to my GP asking for a complete record of all appointments I have attended for me as well as all appointments my son has attended.

I am exhausted.
                Morning

That's quite a list!

What they are really after is evidence of you being in the UK, not of your family or financial situation. Your having a child or your husband's work and health cover don't really show your residence in the UK. Owning and selling property is not proof of residence either, there are many landlords who need a visa to come to the UK where they own property, if you see what I mean.

Your exam results are only relevant if the courses involved classroom attendance, not if they were distance learning courses, e-learning, etc. without attendance. Same principle for college enrolment, since many colleges offer online courses these days.

There's no need to provide bank statements for every single month, the main focus is on showing physical transactions in the UK as opposed to just direct debits and online payments.

Comment

I would argue that my husband and child's residence are a direct proof of my living here since it is my job to care for them and none of my courses were distance-learning.

I don't see how else I can prove my residence/existence.

Comment

I would argue that my husband and child's residence are a direct proof of my living here since it is my job to care for them and none of my courses were distance-learning.

I don't see how else I can prove my residence/existence.
                    You can only provide what you have.

Best of luck and do keep us posted!

Comment

OMG! I was successful!!!

"I am pleased to confirm that your application for British citizenship has been
                      successful. The next step is to attend a British citizenship ceremony."

A huge thanks to you all volunteers.

Comment

OMG! I was successful!!!

"I am pleased to confirm that your application for British citizenship has been
                        successful. The next step is to attend a British citizenship ceremony."

A huge thanks to you all volunteers.
                        This is amazing, well done to you - you must be so relieved!

If you think we have helped perhaps you could consider making a donation by using this link. Once again congratulations!

Help us support EEA Nationals securing their status after Brexit | Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

EstelleO I copied this post in the 'success stories' forum so that others can see the success too! Site Admin FYI

Link

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

EstelleO I remember we identified each other as long time waiting cases on the 3million FB group. I am so happy for you! It really gives me hope that my case will also be positive. They have not contact me for any further documents (I wish they would). Waiting since May 2019 but your case gives me hope. Well done and congratulations! All the best Leti

Comment

Originally posted by Leti View Post
                              EstelleO I remember we identified each other as long time waiting cases on the 3million FB group. I am so happy for you! It really gives me hope that my case will also be positive. They have not contact me for any further documents (I wish they would). Waiting since May 2019 but your case gives me hope. Well done and congratulations! All the best Leti

Comment

Working...
                              X