Please support us so we can help others

>> CLICK HERE TO START A NEW POST <<

(you need to log in to post)

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aplying now or waiting until next year for UK Citizenship with no CIS while I was a student

Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Success Aplying now or waiting until next year for UK Citizenship with no CIS while I was a student

    Hi UKCEN team,

    I received Settled Status in Feb 2019. The qualifying period for SS was Jan 2014 - Jan 2019.

    I was a part-time masters student between autumn 2012 and autumn 2015, during which I DID NOT have Comprehensive Sickness Insurance at all.

    I worked sporadically some very brief jobs (some less than a day) between 2013 and spring of 2015, through the university's jobs for students scheme. The exception was a part-time role (Research Assistant) which I did for a total of aprox. 3 months (12th August 2013 – 3rd November 2013; 12th March 2014 – 30th March 2014; and 28th April 2014 – 1st June 2014).
    I finished my degree in autumn of 2015 and started looking for jobs. I worked for a few days in December 2015 (zero hour contract, catering job). In late Jan 2016 I started working a part-time, zero hour contract job for a company and I did so until March 2017, when I joined a full time position and have had it ever since.


    What are my chances of getting citizenship if I apply now? My application is already filled online and I have my references. The recently published guidelines have kept me from paying and submitting my application.
    What are my chances of getting citizenship if I apply in Feb 2021? Same or better? This would have a 5 year qualifying period in which I had steady jobs and would thus not require CIS.

    Thanks in advance!

  • #2
    Tim M (lawyer) Would you be able to comment on this?

    I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

    Comment


    • #3

      As you are looking into citizenship, you may also want to look at the following resources:
      ...and you should also be aware of the potential impact on family members you may wish to sponsor in the future

      I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

      Comment


      • #4
        Also please note that, at the moment, it's not possible to sit the LITUK nor the language tests, as noted here:However, centres will be reopening shortly and some members have been able to book tests for the next month or two.

        Also note the biometrics centres are currently closed: Temporary closure of ALL Sopra Steria/UKVCAS centres - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

        Some centres will be reopening on the 1st of June, but initially just for people who previously booked an appointment before lockdown.

        It is still possible to make a start on the online form, since it can be kept alive indefinitely by logging in regularly, and it's possible to go back and amend/add/change details at any time until the submit button is pressed.

        I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

        Comment


        • #5
          An answer from a lawyer would be greatly appreciated.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Atlantis View Post
            Hi UKCEN team,

            I received Settled Status in Feb 2019. The qualifying period for SS was Jan 2014 - Jan 2019.

            I was a part-time masters student between autumn 2012 and autumn 2015, during which I DID NOT have Comprehensive Sickness Insurance at all.

            I worked sporadically some very brief jobs (some less than a day) between 2013 and spring of 2015, through the university's jobs for students scheme. The exception was a part-time role (Research Assistant) which I did for a total of aprox. 3 months (12th August 2013 – 3rd November 2013; 12th March 2014 – 30th March 2014; and 28th April 2014 – 1st June 2014).
            I finished my degree in autumn of 2015 and started looking for jobs. I worked for a few days in December 2015 (zero hour contract, catering job). In late Jan 2016 I started working a part-time, zero hour contract job for a company and I did so until March 2017, when I joined a full time position and have had it ever since.


            What are my chances of getting citizenship if I apply now? My application is already filled online and I have my references. The recently published guidelines have kept me from paying and submitting my application.
            What are my chances of getting citizenship if I apply in Feb 2021? Same or better? This would have a 5 year qualifying period in which I had steady jobs and would thus not require CIS.

            Thanks in advance!
            Tim M (lawyer) would you be able to comment? Many thanks.

            I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm afraid I do not know what your chances of getting citizenship are. The new guidelines are not something that we have experience of how the Home Office is implementing this in assessing applications. If they are insistent of expecting CSI throughout your time as a student then this of course be a problem.

              I am an Immigration Adviser with Commonwealth Immigration. I am also a volunteer with UKCEN, where I provide one-off advice on a pro-bono basis. This advice should not be considered a substitute for formal legal advice. Please see Tim M for full details.

              Comment


              • #8
                Atlantis As per our lawyer's response above, we've not seen how caseworkers are handling this so it's not possible to anticipate what would happen. My suggestion would be to wait until there is more clarity regarding how the updated guidance is implemented.

                I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thank you both. I will wait.
                  Would my referees' declarations (signed in May 2020) still be valid if I apply next year or will I have to get them to sign new ones closer to the time of application?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Atlantis View Post
                    Thank you both. I will wait.
                    Would my referees' declarations (signed in May 2020) still be valid if I apply next year or will I have to get them to sign new ones closer to the time of application?
                    References signature and applicant photos should not be more than a month old, I am afraid.

                    Entering referee details on the online AN form and referee declarations - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

                    I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thank you. I will request new ones when I apply.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Hi,

                        I have read two accounts on this forum where applicants had to explain a situation where they did not pay council tax at one point. While useful, I am not exactly sure in my case what to choose in the AN form.

                        I my case it was while my residence was in Manchester in 2014. I was abroad for 71 days and my attempts to pay monthly council tax payments from abroad did not work (I don't have evidence of this). When I returned to Manchester I found several letters in my shared accomodation from the city council and the latest from the Manchester Magitrates' Court summoning me to appear at the Manchester Magistrates' Court to say why I had not paid the amount due (including Summons costs), before the Court date.

                        I contacted the council and started paying again and I did not need to attend Court. I eventually paid everything in full without missing any payment dates and by the time I left that address a few years later, I had over paid and received a small refund. Now, my question is what do I choose in the AN form, is it:
                        1) "A civil court judgement against you, for example non payment of debt, bankruptcy proceedings or anti-social behaviour" or
                        2) "A caution, warning, reprimand or other penalty"?

                        In the cover letter, should I say that I attempted payment while abroad via internet payment on the council website but it didn't work or would they think I am lying?

                        Thank you very much in advance,

                        Atlantis

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Atlantis View Post
                          Hi,

                          I have read two accounts on this forum where applicants had to explain a situation where they did not pay council tax at one point. While useful, I am not exactly sure in my case what to choose in the AN form.
                          Morning,

                          I've moved your post to your previous thread to keep it all together as it refers to the same application.

                          Originally posted by Atlantis View Post
                          I my case it was while my residence was in Manchester in 2014. I was abroad for 71 days and my attempts to pay monthly council tax payments from abroad did not work (I don't have evidence of this). When I returned to Manchester I found several letters in my shared accomodation from the city council and the latest from the Manchester Magitrates' Court summoning me to appear at the Manchester Magistrates' Court to say why I had not paid the amount due (including Summons costs), before the Court date.

                          I contacted the council and started paying again and I did not need to attend Court. I eventually paid everything in full without missing any payment dates and by the time I left that address a few years later, I had over paid and received a small refund. Now, my question is what do I choose in the AN form, is it:
                          1) "A civil court judgement against you, for example non payment of debt, bankruptcy proceedings or anti-social behaviour" or
                          2) "A caution, warning, reprimand or other penalty"?
                          Councils approach the Magistrates Courts when someone doesn't pay their council tax in time, in order to obtain a liability order, which falls under the category of a civil judgment, even though Magistrates Courts usually deal with criminal matters, a liability order is not a criminal conviction, nor a penalty.

                          However, if you paid what you owed, including the summons fee, in full, BEFORE the court hearing date, then no liability order would have been issued, since this would only have been issued at that hearing, which I'm assuming did not take place since you made payment. If that was the case, then there's nothing to declare, as the form doesn't actually ask whether you ever fell behind on your council tax, nor does it ask for debts in general, it only asks to declare any civil judgments. If you paid AFTER the council obtained a liability order, then this would have to go under civil judgments.



                          I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Many thanks for the quick reply.
                            Indeed, I paid everything before the court hearing date and no liability order was issued. Council tax is a scary thing in this country! I will submit my AN form in the next few weeks, I need one more reference signature to get to me. I will let you know what the outcome is.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Atlantis View Post
                              Many thanks for the quick reply.
                              Indeed, I paid everything before the court hearing date and no liability order was issued. Council tax is a scary thing in this country! I will submit my AN form in the next few weeks, I need one more reference signature to get to me. I will let you know what the outcome is.
                              Best of luck!

                              I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X