>> CLICK HERE TO START A NEW POST <<

(you need to log in to post)

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pre-Settled to Settled status in less than 5 years!

Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Success Pre-Settled to Settled status in less than 5 years!

Hello everyone!
    I am Stamatios, I am a European Greek citizen and I finally got my settled status last month! Here is the timeline:

10/08/2015 - Arrival in the UK from Greece

01/12/2018: 1st application -> pre-settled status within 1 hour (I got access to the EU settlement application very early because I was in the NHS)

23/03/2020: 2nd application...on the day of the lockdown

11/05/2020: Settled status granted after a delay of 1.5 months due to the pandemic

You will notice that I got settled status before actually having lived in the country for 5 calendar years (August 2015 - May 2020). The reason is, in my opinion, that they check your national insurance record. If you have 5 years of contributions, you will still get SS even if they are not actually 5 full years. A friend of mine got settled status for having 5 full years of national insurance contributions, but actually, in the first year, he only had 4 months of contributions because he had come in the country in December. Despite that, he got SS on the first attempt without any delays.
    For the record, I am an NHS doctor so I have had a full-time job with no significant absence from the country since the day I came. I do not know if it plays a role, but I feel I have to mention it.

Next stop, citizenship application in 2021!

Originally posted by Stamthedrum View Post
    Hello everyone!
    I am Stamatios, I am a European Greek citizen and I finally got my settled status last month! Here is the timeline:

01/12/2018: 1st application -> pre-settled status within 1 hour (I got access to the EU settlement application very early because I was in the NHS)

11/05/2020: Settled status granted after a delay of 1.5 months due to the pandemic

You will notice that I got settled status before actually having lived in the country for 5 calendar years (August 2015 - May 2020). The reason is, in my opinion, that they check your national insurance record. If you have 5 years of contributions, you will still get SS even if they are not actually 5 full years. A friend of mine got settled status for having 5 full years of national insurance contributions, but actually, in the first year, he only had 4 months of contributions because he had come in the country in December. Despite that, he got SS on the first attempt without any delays.
    For the record, I am an NHS doctor so I have had a full-time job with no significant absence from the country since the day I came. I do not know if it plays a role, but I feel I have to mention it.

First of all - Many many congratulations! I am very happy for you!

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

Hello everyone!

If you think we have helped, you may consider supporting us so we can carry on helping others: Help us support EEA Nationals securing their status after Brexit | Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

]

The reason for this is that the settlement automated system will accept 6 months of residence for each year as minimum requirement. So even you have not completed the last full year of residence, the first 6 months of the last year are sufficient to qualify for the settled status.

This is a positive result especially for those who need to apply for public funds using the settled status (not your case but it is nevertheless important) ...

When applying for UK citizenship it is advised to wait for the full 5 years of residence + the mandatory 12 months after the 5 years residence before applying (this if the applicant is not married/ civil partnered to a British citizen) Am I correct Olga M (lawyer)?

Of course there is number of other requirements to be met in order to apply for UK citizenship and we have collated a step-by -step guidance to help our members to navigate the application when they are eligible to apply. There you will find also the absences requirements.
        Here is the direct link to the guidance.

Citizenship application step-by-step - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

Comment

Originally posted by ClaudLatina View Post

When applying for UK citizenship it is advised to wait for the full 5 years of residence + the mandatory 12 months after the 5 years residence before applying (this if the applicant is not married/ civil partnered to a British citizen) Am I correct Olga M (lawyer)?

Citizenship application step-by-step - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families
          You are almost right
          When a person applying for naturalization, they need to hold ILR for 12 months and be resident 5 years on the date of application. So if applying in May 2021 residence to be proved from May 2016.

I am an Immigration Adviser and Director with Spectrum Visas LTD, authorised by the Office of Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) to provide immigration advice and services. I am also a volunteer with UKCEN, where I provide one-off advice on a pro-bono basis. This advice should not be considered a substitute for formal legal advice. Please see Olga M for full details.

Comment

We have had a number of members who were granted settled status with less than 5 years residence, one with just a month over 4 years, due to how the system calculates residence. Our recommendation has always been to wait till the full 5 year + 12 months criteria is met, to be on the safe side.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your comments. I intend to apply for citizenship next May. I have booked a Life in the UK test and I already have an MSc for the English language requirements. Hopefully, it will not be difficult to prove my residence since I have always had a full time job without any breaks. Which also means CSI is not necessary for me, am I correct?

Comment

Thank you everyone for your comments. I intend to apply for citizenship next May. I have booked a Life in the UK test and I already have an MSc for the English language requirements. Hopefully, it will not be difficult to prove my residence since I have always had a full time job without any breaks. Which also means CSI is not necessary for me, am I correct?
                The CSI requirement only applies to students and self-sufficient people, not workers nor self-employed persons.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

Working...
                X