X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Success Applying for settled status based on historic evidence

I moved to the UK in 1996 to study at a University for two years, after that I stayed there for over 10 years working as an architect until Feb 2009 when I moved back to my native Finland. During those 12.5 years living in the UK I never spent more than 3 months out of the country and these longer absenses where for travelling whilst keeping my rented apartment for the duration of the travels.

Since I moved to Finland in 2009 I have kept close ties to the UK, for example I have visited there several times a year each year and I have kept my UK mobile phone number all this time. I have the same UK bank acoount since 1995 and I am still registered as an arhitect in the UK to be able to carry my profession if I wish to return to practice there.

In 2017 I lived in the UK for 6 months and was working as a self-employed architect on a couple of contracts. In 2018-19 I lived there again for a year and paid council tax and was on electoral roll. This is when I applied for pre-settled status and got it, it is valid until 2024. I did not even try to get Settled Status as at the time I understood that it was not possible to apply based on a historic evidence of residency after living outside the UK for that long afterwards.

Is it true that I would still be eligible to Settled Status based on my residence there for a continuous period say from 2004 until 2009? If so what evidence I would need to prove that I have indeed lived and worked there for those consecutive 5 years? I lived in the same rented apartment for all this time. They do have all my records of paying taxes and being on the electoral roll for that same address, do they check these automatically? Also how could I prove that I have visited the UK for at least twice a year every year since 2009? Or is it enough I prove just one visit in 2014 or 2015 to break the 5 year absense?

Also is there a problem that I already have a pre-settled status or woud this new application over ride it?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Originally posted by Stingray View Post
    I moved to the UK in 1996 to study at a University for two years, after that I stayed there for over 10 years working as an architect until Feb 2009 when I moved back to my native Finland. During those 12.5 years living in the UK I never spent more than 3 months out of the country and these longer absenses where for travelling whilst keeping my rented apartment for the duration of the travels.

Since I moved to Finland in 2009 I have kept close ties to the UK, for example I have visited there several times a year each year and I have kept my UK mobile phone number all this time. I have the same UK bank acoount since 1995 and I am still registered as an arhitect in the UK to be able to carry my profession if I wish to return to practice there.

In 2017 I lived in the UK for 6 months and was working as a self-employed architect on a couple of contracts. In 2018-19 I lived there again for a year and paid council tax and was on electoral roll. This is when I applied for pre-settled status and got it, it is valid until 2024. I did not even try to get Settled Status as at the time I understood that it was not possible to apply based on a historic evidence of residency after living outside the UK for that long afterwards.
    Is it true that I would still be eligible to Settled Status based on my residence there for a continuous period say from 2004 until 2009?
    Hello,

We have some members who lived here over 5 years and then moved away over 5 years ago, but have been returning regularly. Last Friday I had an online meeting with the Home Office EUSS team and I asked this question, and they said that it should be possible to apply for settled status, provided the applicant can provide evidence of both having lived here at least 5 continuous years and then of coming back to the UK without being away for a period of 5 years or longer.

If so what evidence I would need to prove that I have indeed lived and worked there for those consecutive 5 years? I lived in the same rented apartment for all this time. They do have all my records of paying taxes and being on the electoral roll for that same address, do they check these automatically?
    They only check records for the last 7 years. You'll need to provide evidence, you'll find a list of documents here: Documents

Also how could I prove that I have visited the UK for at least twice a year every year since 2009? Or is it enough I prove just one visit in 2014 or 2015 to break the 5 year absense?
    Provide any evidence you have, such as bank and credit card statements showing physical transactions in the UK, travel bookings if you have them, etc. Once you submit your application, you may want to get in touch with the EUSS resolution centre to discuss what you could provide.

Also is there a problem that I already have a pre-settled status or woud this new application over ride it?

Thank you for your help in advance.
    If you are entitled to settled status, it doesn't matter that you already have pre-settled. It would override it.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Many thanks for the clarification! I will apply now. I have all the required documents to prove the 5 years living in the UK and the visits there every year since.
      The reason I only applied for pre-settled was that I got an impression after messaging with the Home Office in early 2019 that I was not eligible to apply as I had not actually LIVED back in the UK after my qualifying 5 year period, they did not mention that even VISITS reset the 5 year clock of absense from the UK. Maybe even they did not know all the details at the time. Glad I found out now though!

Comment

Many thanks for the clarification! I will apply now. I have all the required documents to prove the 5 years living in the UK and the visits there every year since.
        The reason I only applied for pre-settled was that I got an impression after messaging with the Home Office in early 2019 that I was not eligible to apply as I had not actually LIVED back in the UK after my qualifying 5 year period, they did not mention that even VISITS reset the 5 year clock of absense from the UK. Maybe even they did not know all the details at the time. Glad I found out now though!
        Hello,

This wasn't really very clear, although it was expected to work this way, I only got confirmation of this last Friday.

Don't forget to keep us posted!

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

I got Settled Status yesterday!!! It took five months. Thanks for your help!

Comment

Brilliant news! Very happy for you!

If you think we have been of help, you may consider supporting us so we can carry on helping others: Help us support EEA Nationals securing their status after Brexit | Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

This is brilliant news, I'm very happy for you!

Comment

Another success based on living here over 10 years ago, resetting the clock by not spending more than 5 continous years out of the UK!

Comment

Working...
                X