Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Success Citizenship Application

Hi,

I am a Greek National and I am planning to apply for the British citizenship within 2021. I have already been granted the settled status on 31/08/19 so I am eligible to apply for the citizenship since 31/08/20. I have already booked my "Life in the UK test" in 15th of December. So if everything turns out well and I pass the test I will be able to apply for the British citizenship. I am living in UK since 2012 studying bachelors (2013-2016) master's (2016-2017) degree and since Jan 18 I am working full time. I have gathered all the letters from the Universities and from my previous employments and I think that I am ready for my application. My only concern is the residency requirement. I have my all my ticket confirmations since 2018 but nothing to cover the gap of 2016-2018. The only that may help is my old passport that has the stamps of my Christmas and Easter holidays that I spent them in Turkey but my old passport does not cover the summer holidays of 2016. I have also my bank statements since 2012. Do you believe that I will have any issue with my application? If yes, what will be the issue in your opinion? Can you please let me know alternative ways to prove my residency requirement? Please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Styles View Post
    Hi,

I am a Greek National and I am planning to apply for the British citizenship within 2021. I have already been granted the settled status on 31/08/19 so I am eligible to apply for the citizenship since 31/08/20. I have already booked my "Life in the UK test" in 15th of December. So if everything turns out well and I pass the test I will be able to apply for the British citizenship. I am living in UK since 2012 studying bachelors (2013-2016) master's (2016-2017) degree and since Jan 18 I am working full time. I have gathered all the letters from the Universities and from my previous employments and I think that I am ready for my application. My only concern is the residency requirement. I have my all my ticket confirmations since 2018 but nothing to cover the gap of 2016-2018. The only that may help is my old passport that has the stamps of my Christmas and Easter holidays that I spent them in Turkey but my old passport does not cover the summer holidays of 2016. I have also my bank statements since 2012. Do you believe that I will have any issue with my application? If yes, what will be the issue in your opinion? Can you please let me know alternative ways to prove my residency requirement? Please let me know. Thanks in advance.
    Morning,

EEA passports only get stamped when travelling outside the EEA so the Home Office wouldn't expect to see passport stamps for all your trips, nor do you need to provide evidence of them, just list them.

As you say you were a student during most of the last 5 years, before going further, may I ask:
    1. Were you also working during your student years?
    2. If not, were you covered by a private health insurance policy, such as one from your own country, through your family, etc.:
    3. Or else, did you have an EHIC card that covered you during that period of studies in the UK?

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Morning,

Thanks for coming back to me. Given that I will apply in 2021 so my application will check everything from 2016. So please see below my replies on your questions:
      1. No I didn't work but I have the letters from universities confirming that I was studying and all my bank statements.
      2. No , I was registered in NHS & my parents were supporting me.
      3. No my parents were supporting me, I got private insurance from Feb 19.
      FYI, I have all my employment letters confirming the duration of my employment. Please let me know. Thanks.

Comment

Morning,

Thanks for coming back to me. Given that I will apply in 2021 so my application will check everything from 2016. So please see below my replies on your questions:
        1. No I didn't work but I have the letters from universities confirming that I was studying and all my bank statements.
        2. No , I was registered in NHS & my parents were supporting me.
        3. No my parents were supporting me, I got private insurance from Feb 19.
        FYI, I have all my employment letters confirming the duration of my employment. Please let me know. Thanks.
        Hello again,

You may want to look at this post: Lawful Residence for applicants relying on Settled Status - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

...where you'll see:

Family members who exercise treaty rights or have acquired PR status can sponsor those who do not. These include non-working spouses, children and dependent students.

The sponsor has to be an EEA national. UK nationals cannot sponsor family members, unless they are dual UK/EEA nationals.

See:

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Basically you need to show you were lawfully resident during the last 5 years, and you can be lawfully resident as a dependent of your parents, but only if they were EEA nationals living in the UK and exercising treaty rights. If they were supporting you financially from their own country, then you would still be classed as a student or self-sufficient person, who would have required CSI cover for the periods of studies or self-sufficiency, in accordance with the EEA Regulations.

So now we need to know whether your parents were living in the UK at the time they were supporting you financially.

Comment

We have put together the following resources which should be your starting point....and, before going further, you should also be aware of the potential impact on family members you may wish to sponsor in the future.

Comment

Thanks for your prompt reply. My parents were living in Greece. I started working full time from January 18

Comment

Thanks for your prompt reply. My parents were living in Greece. I started working full time from January 18
                If they were not living here, then you would have been classed as self-sufficient/student and would have required CSI for the relevant period, if you do not meet this criteria, your best bet would be to wait till you do, when you have 5 years lawful residence, from what you say above, in January 2023.

You may want to refer to this post: Applicants who do not meet the lawful residence criteria for citizenship - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

...where we have:
                What happens if you don't meet the requirement?
                So far, we have not seen any refusals on this forum, however, the Home Office only updated their guidance and AN form in May 2020, to clarify this requirement. I have seen refusals mentioned elsewhere but these have, so far, been unverified. We have members who applied before the updates and their applications were successful, however, we cannot assume this will be the case now the forms have been updated to require applicants to tick a box saying they will be supplying evidence of CSI for periods spent as students or self-sufficient persons.

If an application is refused, the entire fee is non-refundable.

Our recommendation for those applicants who do not meet this criteria, is to wait until they can satisfy the lawful residence requirement, which can be counting from the date when they started working of being self-employed, or else from when they were granted settled or pre-settled status.

Prospective applicants should be aware that there is no need to be a British citizen for any practical purposes, and that settled status gives full access to everything, including benefits, healthcare, council assistance, etc., on the same terms as British nationals enjoy, with the exception of voting rights.

Settled status v citizenship
                Settled status British citizensihp
                Valid indefinitely, lapses after spending 5 continuous years out of the UK, but a visit can reset the clock, as long as it's well evidenced. Citizenship is forever and doesn't lapse. regardless of how long you stay abroad. Recommended if you expect to spend very long periods abroad, then returning to live here.
                Can be revoked if the holder commits a criminal offence resulting in a prison sentence of 12 months or longer. Only revoked in extreme cases, such as those involving treason or terrorism.
                No voting rights Full voting rights
                British citizens will also need to satisfy residence requirements, such as ordinary residence or habitual residence, for the purpose of benefits claims and free NHS non emergency hospital treatment, if returning after a long period living abroad.

Comment

Hi all,

I would like to genuinely thank you all for your great work that you are doing. I am glad to announce that I finally got my invitation letter. So I would like to share my timeline with you. So my dates are the below:
                  Settlement Status Approval: 30/08/2021
                  Citizenship Application Submission Date: 26/04/2021
                  Biometrics : 15/06/2021 (Booked a second appointment , after I missed the first one)
                  Issue Date of Invitation Letter: 04/10/2021
                  Letter Received: 09/10/2021
                  Ceremony:15/10/2021
                  Thank you so much for your assistance. Please drop me your link in order to be able to help and support by my donation.

Thanks,
                  Styles

Comment

Hi all,

I would like to genuinely thank you all for your great work that you are doing. I am glad to announce that I finally got my invitation letter. So I would like to share my timeline with you. So my dates are the below:
                    Biometrics : 15/06/2021 (Booked a second appointment , after I missed the first one)
                    Afternoon,

I'm delighted to hear this!

Comment

Thread moved to our successes area.

Thank you so much for your assistance. Please drop me your link in order to be able to help and support by my donation.
                      Very much appreciated!

Help us support EEA Nationals securing their status after Brexit | Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants

Comment

Hi all,

Thanks,
                        Styles
                        Congratulations and thank you for your donation.

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Working...
                        X