Please support us so we can help others

>> CLICK HERE TO START A NEW POST <<

(you need to log in to post)

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Successful citizenship application - Applying with PR card before the end of 2020

Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Success Successful citizenship application - Applying with PR card before the end of 2020

Hi there,

I am still helping my brother with his application and we want to submit before the end of this year as I think it is better to apply with PR card than SS?
    Before we pay/submit we want to make sure:

- He has PR since 2017 and SS since August 2020 but as he was a student in 2010/2011 is safer to apply on a basis of PR?
    - If we doesn't make it in time before the end of this year, can applying with SS (even tough SS is from 08.2020). Can this be an issue if he was a student for a year in 2010/2011?
    -can we say that both referees are friends? As its difficult to explain who they really are to him, they kind of firends (one is a neighbour of my in laws)

Many thanks

I was trying to amend my previous post but can't seem to find a way to do it (its not approved yet). I just realised that we are trying to apply for British Citizenship for my brother with PR card but
    it came to light that he was away for a few days 5 years ago when his baby daughter was born. From Jan 2021 he will be only able to apply with SS which is from August 2020.
    I always felt thar using PR card is better/safer espiecially that he was a student in 2010/2011. Is is an issue to submit on 31.12.2020 when 31.12.2015 he was enjoying a New Years Eve with his newborn child away from UK? He was back on 7th of Jan 2016. This is so scary for us with all the money invloved- I read your notes on the forum and realised this just now...

Thank you so much

Comment

Originally posted by ulikaa2020 View Post
      Hi there,

I am still helping my brother with his application and we want to submit before the end of this year
      Hello,

There is no need to rush to apply before the end of the year, as noted in this new post I made after the government updated their pages just before Christmas: Citizenship applications with PR cards possible until end of June if you haven't got settled status - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

...where we have:

​ The application submission date is the relevant date for ALL practical purposes, not the biometrics appointment date.

​ From January 1st, if you have settled status, you MUST apply for citizenship with settled status.

​ If you have settled status, you CANNOT apply with a PR card from January 1st 2021.

​ If you haven't had settled status for 12 months and have a PR card, you can still rely on your PR status to apply before you've had settled status for 12 months, as noted here: When can I apply for citizenship?

​ If you apply before 11pm on December 31st 2020, you can still use your PR card even if you have settled status.
      When you can apply

​ You can apply for citizenship with settled status 12 months after you first got permanent residence status.

​ From January 1st 2021, if you had PR before you got settled status, you can count that time towards the 12 month qualifying period. For example, if you came to the UK in 2013 and obtained PR status in 2018. In 2020, you applied for settled status. Usually, you'd need to wait 12 months after getting settled status, but because you had permanent residence for 2 years, you can apply straightaway.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

as I think it is better to apply with PR card than SS?
        No, it isn't better nor worse, either can be used, although people who have settled status MUST use this to apply from January 1st, those who haven't been granted it can still use their PR cards, and those who have settled status and a PR card can still rely on the date they acquired PR status to avoid having to wait 12 months. All this is new information you may not have seen before, the government weren't exactly prompt in publishing it.

Before we pay/submit we want to make sure:

- He has PR since 2017 and SS since August 2020 but as he was a student in 2010/2011 is safer to apply on a basis of PR?
        As above.

- If we doesn't make it in time before the end of this year, can applying with SS (even tough SS is from 08.2020). Can this be an issue if he was a student for a year in 2010/2011?
        Makes no difference from this perspective, however, if he has settled status he will have to make the application based on settled status if made next year, but PR status can still be used to by-pass the 12 month rule with settled status.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

-can we say that both referees are friends? As its difficult to explain who they really are to him, they kind of firends (one is a neighbour of my in laws)
          Referees can be known to the applicant in any capacity as long as they are not related, so nothing wrong with saying this.

Comment

We have put together the following resources which should be your starting point and there may have been updates to these resources.Also refer to this post: Issues, mistakes, errors and ommisions

....and, before going further, you should also be aware of the potential impact on family members you may wish to sponsor in the future.

Comment

I was trying to amend my previous post but can't seem to find a way to do it (its not approved yet).
              I have moved this post to the other thread you started to keep it all together as it refers to the same thing.

I just realised that we are trying to apply for British Citizenship for my brother with PR card but
              it came to light that he was away for a few days 5 years ago when his baby daughter was born. From Jan 2021 he will be only able to apply with SS which is from August 2020.
              I always felt thar using PR card is better/safer espiecially that he was a student in 2010/2011.
              As above, it makes no difference from this perspective, and the PR status will still have to be relied on for the purpose of avoiding the 12 months wait.

Comment

Is is an issue to submit on 31.12.2020 when 31.12.2015 he was enjoying a New Years Eve with his newborn child away from UK? He was back on 7th of Jan 2016. This is so scary for us with all the money invloved- I read your notes on the forum and realised this just now...
                Yes it is an issue since it's important to have been here on the date the application is submitted 5 years ago, as noted here: The residence requirement

...where we have:

You need to have been physically present in the UK:
                • 3 years ago on the date you submit your citizenship application if you are married to a British citizen at the time of your application; or
                • 5 years ago if not married to a British citizen.
                The relevant date is defined on page 14 of the Nationality Policy:
                To identify the start of the qualifying period you use the day after the application date minus the length of the qualifying period. For example in an application under section 6(1) made on 1 March 2016, the applicant must have been legally in the UK on 2 March 2011.

This is actually more of an issue than relying on settled status as you think applying with PR is "safer", but the PR status is still valid as noted above, even when the application has to be made with settled status.

Comment

Originally posted by Site Admin View Post
                  As above.

Makes no difference from this perspective, however, if he has settled status he will have to make the application based on settled status if made next year, but PR status can still be used to by-pass the 12 month rule with settled status.
                  Thank you so much for claryfying everything. Phew! Glad to know PR is not safer than SS. It all makes sense now. The only worry I have now is comprehensive sickness insurance (CSI). Does it matter that he did not have it in 2011 as a student for one year? Like I mentioned he applied for PR in 2016. I know it used to be 5 years (which would have been fine for him) in terms if CSI but the Goverment changed it recenlty again to 10 years? I know so many people worry about this and it really is a subject many people are confused about- including me.

Comment

Thank you so much for claryfying everything. Phew! Glad to know PR is not safer than SS. It all makes sense now. The only worry I have now is comprehensive sickness insurance (CSI). Does it matter that he did not have it in 2011 as a student for one year? Like I mentioned he applied for PR in 2016. I know it used to be 5 years (which would have been fine for him) in terms if CSI but the Goverment changed it recenlty again to 10 years? I know so many people worry about this and it really is a subject many people are confused about- including me.
                    We have the following post about it including comments from one of our lawyers: The good character guidance, treaty rights and CSI

PERSONALLY, I can't see it being an issue if you didn't have CSI for a year that long ago, and the form doesn't even ask whether you were a student at some point or to list all activity, it only asks for employment history in case they want to check that your taxes were in order, otherwise it only asks for evidence of lawful residence for the last 5 years, nothing for the last 10.

And applying with PR or settled status doesn't change anything in this respect, if applying with PR, the PR card is evidence of lawful residence for the last 5 years, if applying with settled status, it can still be used for this purpose, as opposed to providing other documents such as P60s, etc.

Comment

Thank you so much for taking time to reply to my questions! Thats very helpful. I think he is just going to go ahead and hope its all ok (that studying in 2011 is not an issue). Knowing this I take it we still answer as follows: Do you meet these residence requirements? Yes

Are there any reasons why you cannot meet the requirements to become a British citizen (for example, you have had too many absences from the UK)?No

If you do not meet the statutory requirements to become a British citizen, are there any special circumstances why you think the Home Secretary should still grant your application? No ( unless we should explain anything here?)

Thank you so much for all your help!

Comment

Thank you so much for taking time to reply to my questions! Thats very helpful. I think he is just going to go ahead and hope its all ok (that studying in 2011 is not an issue). Knowing this I take it we still answer as follows: Do you meet these residence requirements? Yes

Are there any reasons why you cannot meet the requirements to become a British citizen (for example, you have had too many absences from the UK)?No

If you do not meet the statutory requirements to become a British citizen, are there any special circumstances why you think the Home Secretary should still grant your application? No ( unless we should explain anything here?)

Thank you so much for all your help!
                        The statutory requirements are those about residence, absences, etc. and if there was anything to explain, it would be better to just use that space to refer to your cover letter and explain there.

Comment

thank you! will do exactly that

Comment

Hi there, we're just about to submit the application but at no point the application asks about PR status to avoid the 12 month wait ( Settled Status was granted in August 2020, PR in Jan 2017). Do we just need to explain this in Cover Letter and attached a scan of PR? Thank you

As above, it makes no difference from this perspective, and the PR status will still have to be relied on for the purpose of avoiding the 12 months wait.

Comment

Hi there, we're just about to submit the application but at no point the application asks about PR status to avoid the 12 month wait ( Settled Status was granted in August 2020, PR in Jan 2017). Do we just need to explain this in Cover Letter and attached a scan of PR? Thank you

Morning,

Yes, that's exactly it. As you didn't submit the application before the end of last year, you need to choose settled status on the form, as noted here: PR, ILR and Settled Status - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families
                              ...where we have:

If you select ILR, which includes settled status, you will be asked for the date when ILR was granted. This would be the date on your ILR stamp or date when you got confirmation that settled status was granted.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ILR_SSDate.png Views:	1 Size:	69.9 KB ID:	910
                              You can apply for citizenship with settled status 12 months after you first got permanent residence status. You do not need a permanent residence document. If you didn't have a document certifying PR status, you need to have had settled status for at least 12 months unless married to a British citizen.
                              You can then provide the PR card and write a note in the cover letter to say you had PR status longer than 12 months.

Comment

Working...
                              X