X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Success Wrong national insurance number on payslip

Hello, I hope you can help me! I started working after university in September 2018 and between then and July 2019 I worked with a company. I just realised now that the National Insurance number written on my payslips is wrong (it's completely different from mine!!). I know I should have known better and spotted this then... The P60 I received from them in April 2019 is right and has my National Insurance number. As I was a student from 2014 to 2018 and then worked with a different company that gave me correct payslips from July 2019, do you think including my P60 from April 2019 is enough for that year? Or should I get in touch with my previous employer asking to correct the payslips if it is possible? Or should I submit a payslip with wrong national insurance number and add to the cover letter that it must be a refuse from another employee? I can see from my P60 that my tax has been paid (and that has the right NIN) despite the wrong NIN on payslips but I really don't know what's best doing.

I also have another question: do you suggest people to add the cover letter as a separate document to be scanned or compress the information in the 'Give other details to be considered' box? Or should I repeat my points from the cover letter there?

Thank you so much for your help in advance.

Originally posted by corinnaaob View Post
    Hello, I hope you can help me! I started working after university in September 2018 and between then and July 2019 I worked with a company.
    As I was a student from 2014 to 2018
    Morning,

You don't tell us what you are applying for, which is always the first thing we need to know in order to advise further. Given what you are telling us, I'm assuming you may be applying for citizenship rather than settled status, as you mention a cover letter.

In that case, you should also be aware of the lawful residence requirement, as noted here: Lawful residence for applicants relying on settled status

As you say you were a student until 2018, in order to have been lawfully resident under EU rules during your student years, you should have had CSI or an EHIC from your own country.

You don't tell us whether you have settled status, which is a key requirement, as noted here: PR, ILR or settled status requirement

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

I just realised now that the National Insurance number written on my payslips is wrong (it's completely different from mine!!). I know I should have known better and spotted this then... The P60 I received from them in April 2019 is right and has my National Insurance number.
      ...and then worked with a different company that gave me correct payslips from July 2019, do you think including my P60 from April 2019 is enough for that year?
      You don't need to provide payslips if you have P60s, but see above.

Or should I get in touch with my previous employer asking to correct the payslips if it is possible?
      I don't think it would be possible for them to issue you with new payslips just for this purpose, but if your P60s are OK and, more importantly, your taxes and NICs have been credited to your NI account, then that's not an issue.

Or should I submit a payslip with wrong national insurance number and add to the cover letter that it must be a refuse from another employee? I can see from my P60 that my tax has been paid (and that has the right NIN) despite the wrong NIN on payslips but I really don't know what's best doing.
      As above, there's no requirement to provide payslips, the P60s are the Home Office's favourite piece of evidence.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

I also have another question: do you suggest people to add the cover letter as a separate document to be scanned or compress the information in the 'Give other details to be considered' box? Or should I repeat my points from the cover letter there?
        If you look here: Cover letter

...you'll see:
        A covering letter is not mandatory but desirable. Our lawyers always include a covering letter with every application.

The cover letter is a document you have to type yourself in Word or a similar program and upload with the rest of supporting documents, it's not part of the AN form nor provided with the form
        The box in question can just be used to refer to the cover letter.

Comment

We have put together the following resources which should be your starting point.Also refer to this post: Issues, mistakes, errors and ommisions

....and, before going further, you should also be aware of the potential impact on family members you may wish to sponsor in the future.

Comment

Apologies, it is the first time I am posting so I should have explained my situation better. I am applying for citizenship and I have had settled status since October 2019. I also had EHIC from Italy during the time I was a student in the UK. May I ask another question? As proof of residence during my studying time I can use two degree certificates issued in 2017 (BA) and 2018 (MA), which I will also use as proof of English language. But for 2016 (my 2nd year of my BA), I don't have a specific document. I have an official transcript letter, which is not dated unfortunately, with my grades from 2014 to 2016. Would that be enough? Or is there anything else I should be providing? And is it ok to provide a degree both for proof of English language and of residence? Thank you very much for your help.

Comment

Apologies, it is the first time I am posting so I should have explained my situation better. I am applying for citizenship and I have had settled status since October 2019.
              Hello again,

Thanks for clarifying, but we need to make sure we know what we are saying is relevant to the application, and we also want to avoid people getting refused by applying without the right document.

I also had EHIC from Italy during the time I was a student in the UK.
              OK, a number of members have successfully established lawful resident as students while covered by their Italian EHICs.

Comment

May I ask another question? As proof of residence during my studying time I can use two degree certificates issued in 2017 (BA) and 2018 (MA), which I will also use as proof of English language. But for 2016 (my 2nd year of my BA), I don't have a specific document. I have an official transcript letter, which is not dated unfortunately, with my grades from 2014 to 2016. Would that be enough? Or is there anything else I should be providing?
                We have covered evidence of residence here: Evidence of residence

...where you'll see:
                • Documentary evidence that indicates presence in the UK during the relevant 3 or 5 years. This can be in the form of letters from employers, educational establishments or other Government Departments. A sample of these documents, at least one from each of the 3 or 5 years, should be submitted.
                • Continued presence in the country can be shown by enclosing lists of attended appointments from GPs, dentist, physiotherapist, dental hygienist and hospital consultant (i.e. hospital appointments).
                • Your children's school attendance records and letters confirming you drop them off and pick them up.
                • Bank and credit card statements showing physical transactions made in the UK.
                • A P60 from an employer would be equivalent to a letter from an employer and Government Department letters could include letters you have received from the DWP, HMRC, DVLA, or any other Government Department.
                Although the Home Office prefers official documents from government departments, if you are unable to provide them, or the other items on the list above, you can send anything that has your name, address and a date on it.

You may want to explain in your cover letter and/or additional information section of the form, why you are unable to provide their preferred evidence.

Comment

And is it ok to provide a degree both for proof of English language and of residence? Thank you very much for your help.
                  If you look here: Degrees and other qualifications

...you'll see:

You will have met the language requirement if:
                  • You have an academic qualification which is either a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK; or, if awarded outside the UK, is deemed by the National Academic Recognition Information Centre for the UK (UK NARIC) to meet or exceed the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK; and
                  • You provide the specified evidence to show that they have the qualification and that it was taught or researched in English at or above the required CEFR level.
                  Check if your degree is acceptable on pages 15-16 of the Knowledge of language and life in the UK.

Foundation degrees may not be acceptable as they are not to Bachelor's level.

Comment

Thank you so much for your help. May I ask a question regarding my Italian EHIC (tessera sanitaria)? I have two (one expired and then I got a new one) that cover the period during which I was a student and I can provide a scanned copy of them. Are the scanned copies sufficient? I read on some posts that people are asking for letters from Italy confirming they had a valid card during that period. But I wouldn't know where to start from in order to acquire one of those letters. Let me know if what I have is enough. Or should I translate the Italian word for 'expiry' that they will see on the scanned card in the cover letter, explaining its validity? Thank you so much!

Comment

Thank you so much for your help. May I ask a question regarding my Italian EHIC (tessera sanitaria)? I have two (one expired and then I got a new one) that cover the period during which I was a student and I can provide a scanned copy of them. Are the scanned copies sufficient? I read on some posts that people are asking for letters from Italy confirming they had a valid card during that period. But I wouldn't know where to start from in order to acquire one of those letters. Let me know if what I have is enough. Or should I translate the Italian word for 'expiry' that they will see on the scanned card in the cover letter, explaining its validity? Thank you so much!
                      Gabriella B (lawyer) could you please comment? Many thanks.

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

You can submit scanned EHICs from Italy without translations and they should be fine. I have submitted many applications relying on tessere sanitarie. As long as they cover the relevant period there shouldn't be a problem. Good luck

I am the director of MGBe Legal, an OISC regulated company. I am also a volunteer with UKCEN, where I provide one-off advice on a pro-bono basis. This advice should not be considered a substitute for formal legal advice. Please see Gabriella B for full details.

Comment

Thank you so much for your help Gabriella, I've just submitted my application and will use scanned tessere sanitarie as CSI

Comment

Thank you so much for your help Gabriella, I've just submitted my application and will use scanned tessere sanitarie as CSI
                            Best of luck and please keep us posted!

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Finally I have become a British Citizen! Thank you so much for your help!

Timeline:
                              Life in the Uk in February 2021
                              Submitted application in March
                              Biometric appointment: 9th April
                              Success email received in mid July!
                              I had my ceremony at the townhall on Monday (only a few weeks after my success email) and I will apply for my passport soon.

Please note that I had the following:
                              -I had the Italian EHIC: Tessera sanitaria for the period I was a student
                              -I had a wrong national insurance number on a payslip (employer's fault, which I didn't spot at the time)
                              -As proof of residence I didn't have any official governments correspondence (e.g. DVLA), only bank statements, some bills and doctor's appointment dates

Good luck everyone and thank you UKCEN for the support with the hardest application I've ever made in my life!

Comment

Working...
                              X