Please support us so we can help others

>> CLICK HERE TO START A NEW POST <<

(you need to log in to post)

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thank you - success on naturalisation after SS

Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Success Thank you - success on naturalisation after SS

    Hi folks! First of all, a huge thank you for running this site. There was enough info for me as I worked through my application, so I never needed to post until now, at the point when I can report success... It's been a long wait: having received my Settled Status in July 2019, I have submitted my naturalisation application on January 4th 2021. Received an email in May 2021 from the Home Office warning me it may take them longer than 6 months, but then on 26th of June 2021 received a letter in my post box informing me that my application has been approved. I live in Glasgow, and having rung the local office first thing on Monday morning, was told that the first available slot for citizenship ceremony is... 16th of November. Wish I could do it virtually, but that hasn't been offered.

    What may be of interest to some is that I am Lithuanian, and thus would normally lose my Lithuanian citizenship upon acquiring another country's passport. However, there have been some changes in the Lithuanian legislation, allowing one to retain the Lithuanian citizenship IF one's parent/grandparent was the holder of Lithuanian passport in 1940, and then had been deported by the Soviets. Worth looking into that if this is your family's story (and there would be many such family stories...) Mentioning it here as I stumbled upon this recently introduced clause by accident. I took no chances and received a written confirmation from the Lithuanian equivalent of the 'Home Office' that I would, indeed, be able to retain my citizenship, on the basis of the documents I was able to submit.
    So, relieved, and now just waiting for that citizenship ceremony..!

  • #2
    Originally posted by thankful View Post
    Hi folks! First of all, a huge thank you for running this site. There was enough info for me as I worked through my application, so I never needed to post until now, at the point when I can report success...
    Morning,

    I'm delighted to hear our resources were useful!


    Originally posted by thankful View Post
    It's been a long wait: having received my Settled Status in July 2019, I have submitted my naturalisation application on January 4th 2021. Received an email in May 2021 from the Home Office warning me it may take them longer than 6 months, but then on 26th of June 2021 received a letter in my post box informing me that my application has been approved.
    EXCELLENT!




    I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by thankful View Post
      I live in Glasgow, and having rung the local office first thing on Monday morning, was told that the first available slot for citizenship ceremony is... 16th of November. Wish I could do it virtually, but that hasn't been offered.
      It is my impression councils were only doing virtual ceremonies during lockdown, as this has now ended, they are back to regular ceremonies. To be honest, if it was me, after all the money and hassle, I would very much rather have a proper ceremony in the presence of the Queen, albeit virtually in the background.

      Originally posted by thankful View Post
      What may be of interest to some is that I am Lithuanian, and thus would normally lose my Lithuanian citizenship upon acquiring another country's passport. However, there have been some changes in the Lithuanian legislation, allowing one to retain the Lithuanian citizenship IF one's parent/grandparent was the holder of Lithuanian passport in 1940, and then had been deported by the Soviets. Worth looking into that if this is your family's story (and there would be many such family stories...) Mentioning it here as I stumbled upon this recently introduced clause by accident. I took no chances and received a written confirmation from the Lithuanian equivalent of the 'Home Office' that I would, indeed, be able to retain my citizenship, on the basis of the documents I was able to submit.
      So, relieved, and now just waiting for that citizenship ceremony..!
      That is very interesting indeed!

      Thanks for sharing!

      Many countries haver rather intricate nationality laws, that's why our recommendation is always to check with the relevant authorities before applying for British citizenship, as the ins and outs of all this are often well hidden away.

      I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

      Comment


      • #4
        Relevant bit of this post copied here for reference: Lithuanian nationality provisions - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

        If we have been of help, you may consider supporting us so we can help others: Help us support EEA Nationals securing their status after Brexit | Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants

        I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by thankful View Post
          Hi folks! First of all, a huge thank you for running this site. There was enough info for me as I worked through my application, so I never needed to post until now, at the point when I can report success... It's been a long wait: having received my Settled Status in July 2019, I have submitted my naturalisation application on January 4th 2021. Received an email in May 2021 from the Home Office warning me it may take them longer than 6 months, but then on 26th of June 2021 received a letter in my post box informing me that my application has been approved..!
          Brilliant news! Congratulations

          I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

          Comment

          Working...
          X