Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSI SUCCESS Missing CSI 8 years ago - cover letter?

Hello!

Firstly thank you so much for all of those who make this forum possible. I am immensely grateful for all the information I’ve been able to find here. I’m now turning to the community with some questions regarding my citizenship application and the tricky CSI issue.

Firstly: I have already submitted my application. I am embarrassed to say I missed the importance of now being able to proof CSI for the last 10 years rather than 5, this was only alerted to me once I had submitted my application. However I am yet to attend the biometric and as I understand I can withdraw and get a refund on my application before I have attended biometrics.

My question is now whether 1) I should proceed with my application despite not having CSI for the full 10 years (I understand however noone can say whether I really should or shouldn’t but would be great to hear some perspectives and 2) What I can do to improve my application in lack of CSI - for example a cover letter explaining the gap and pleading with the HO?

I have applied as a spouse of a British citizen, we got married in February 2020 (and have two children). I am from Sweden. I have been in the UK since 2010 (first three years as a student) and I have had settled status since April 2019. Have worked fulltime since September 2013.

I arrived in the UK September 2010 to study. I graduated in September 2013. During these three years I can’t prove I had CSI as I didn’t take out a private insurance. I did work for some weeks in the summers of 2012 and 2013 and a few jobs at the University so I have some p45s from this period. I got a full-time job in September 2013, straight after my graduation and have worked full-time since (with two spells of maternity leave, the second one which I am currently on).

So obviously I’m missing proof of CSI for the whole 10 years - I can only prove from September 2013. What are my options here? Should I still provide my p45s from my part-time/summer jobs in 2012/2013? Can I write a cover letter trying to explain the situation and more importantly, how do I phrase it? Do I explain that it was never explained to me that I needed private insurance, that the University explained I was covered by the NHS? Or do I go down the route of saying I have contributed throughout my time here, taking part-time work etc? I just don’t know what to put in such a letter to improve my chances. Are there any examples of such letters somewhere?

I know another option is trying to prove I was covered in Sweden but I just don’t understand how I would do that - I didn’t have an EHIC card as I was covered in the UK by this! I even had a UK one I think. I officially moved out of Sweden (told the authorities) in 2015 so I could possibly see if they can provide some proof as I was insured here but it seems very difficult and am not even sure possible - unless anyone has more information on this?

My other alternative is withdrawing my application as I know I will lose the money if it gets rejected. But as we are thinking of relocating to Sweden for a while soon I am desperate to have my citizenship before then so that I can come back to the UK with my family when needed. Obviously as soon as we go my chances of applying disappear and I might lose my SS if we are gone over 5 years.

Sorry if this is all a bit rambling. I am distraught by having missed this vital piece of the application and I feel so stupid about it. But everywhere in the application it says to show proof for the last 3 (as married) or 5 years so it’s very confusing! I’m hoping you can shine some light on my situation.

Thank you

J

Morning,

Please note that, despite that bit in the Good Character guidance regarding this, the update was made last September and, in all this time, I've yet to see a single example where anyone was asked to prove lawful residence going back further than 5 years. On the other hand, I have seen several successful applications from members who were students without CSI between 5 and 10 years ago.

As you will have noticed, the form only asks to prove lawful residence for the last 5 years, or 3 if married to a British citizen, and it says if you were a student or a self-sufficient person during that period, include a copy of your CSI if you had it. So I shouldn't think it necessary to delve deeper into all this, nor to withdraw the application.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

For example: Changes to Good Character Guidance 30/09/2020 - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

...where they said:

Originally posted by CCarla View Post
      Hello,
      I applied for British Citizenship on the 20/09/20
      arrival 2010
      From 2015 to 2020 I have 4 years self-sufficient and CSI and 1 year Settled Status and CSI, for the 5 years qualifying period
      Never applied for PR
      from 2010 to 2014 I have no CSI didn't even know it did exist
      Now the rules have changed from 5 to 10 years period, do you need to prove your were living in the UK lawfully, and is this new update applying to applications made before that date?
      Vey worried
      thanks for listening
      Originally posted by CCarla View Post
      Hi, and...Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, I just wanted to let you know my application has been successful, I wish everyone good luck with theirs

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Hello! Thank you so much for your encouragement, I wanted to let you know my application was granted! Thanks again so much and for all the extremely valuable information here.

Comment

Originally posted by joannakin View Post
          Hello! Thank you so much for your encouragement, I wanted to let you know my application was granted! Thanks again so much and for all the extremely valuable information here.
          Morning,

I'm very happy for you! Great news!

Comment

If you think we have helped, you may consider supporting us so we can help others: Help us support EEA Nationals securing their status after Brexit | Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants

Comment

Working...
            X