Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information about going away for a year

Hello everyone,

I wanted to ask a question if it's ok. I became British one year ago thanks to you, and I am now Italian-British.

I am planning to take a year off next March, so I will leave my flat in London, I wanted to know if I am missing any institution from the ones I am planning to notify of my departure, I want to make sure I don't forget anyone, because I don't want any important mail to go to my former flat.

And I thought of asking here in case anyone else has done the same thing in the past. I am planning to give my parent's address in Italy or if I find a legal way to keep my self employed business in the Uk to ask a friend in London if I can give their address (I know about the resident non domiciled for the Uk but I am double checking with my Italian accountant, because If I go to Italy I will then have to change my Aire too, it's so complicated ).

The main institution I have on the list are My Council, my Bank, HMRC.

Do I need to notify the Home Office too? Is there anyone else I should call to say I'm going abroad?

Thank you and I hope you had a lovely Sunday.

F.

Originally posted by FPich90 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I wanted to ask a question if it's ok. I became British one year ago thanks to you, and I am now Italian-British.

I am planning to take a year off next March, so I will leave my flat in London, I wanted to know if I am missing any institution from the ones I am planning to notify of my departure, I want to make sure I don't forget anyone, because I don't want any important mail to go to my former flat.

And I thought of asking here in case anyone else has done the same thing in the past. I am planning to give my parent's address in Italy or if I find a legal way to keep my self employed business in the Uk to ask a friend in London if I can give their address (I know about the resident non domiciled for the Uk but I am double checking with my Italian accountant, because If I go to Italy I will then have to change my Aire too, it's so complicated ).

The main institution I have on the list are My Council, my Bank, HMRC.

Do I need to notify the Home Office too? Is there anyone else I should call to say I'm going abroad?

Thank you and I hope you had a lovely Sunday.

Francesca
    Hello,

It's not always necessary to notify everyone when you go abroad, for example, the bank, if you have a UK address you can provide, you don't need to tell them, I know someone who's kept her UK account with a UK address she's not lived at for 20 years but her tenants have agreed to keep her post for her. I'm not able to comment on tax issues, that's something you need to check carefully with a tax account, both here and in Italy, since I've heard about double-taxation issues with Italy.

Once you are British, you have the right of abode, which as unconditional right to live here whenever you want, and you don't need to notify the Home Office when you move abroad. In fact, there's no requirement to do that if you are not British.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

Thank you,

I just want to make sure I don't receive any mail in my former flat while I am away. I will ask my flatmates if I receive anything, but I'd rather change everything while I can.

Have a nice day!

F.

Comment

Working...
      X