Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query documents requirements, duration and overlap for section 3, 4 and 10

Hello
    I am a little bit confused about which docs are needed for the various sections and how far back I need to go, even after reading p 30-32 of the AN guidance (version 01/21).
    I have EUSS and am applying as the wife of a British citizen so my understanding is I need to go back 3 years. However...

For section 3: letters from employers, educational establishments or government departments: can I use either/ all of council tax bills, correspondence from HMRC, correspondence from my kids' school, P60, correspondence from GP for last 3 years? Anything else that can be used like say bank statement?

For section 4: it asks for 'evidence that you were in the UK in accordance with EEA regulations for a period of 5 years- is this the same documents as the ones for section 3, but just going further back? Would you be able to share what you have used, other than p60 or pay slips?

For section 10 evidence of NI contributions, am confused as how far this needs to go, is it 3, 5 or 10 years? Is this required for everyone?

Many thanks in advance

Originally posted by Paris72 View Post
    Hello
    I am a little bit confused about which docs are needed for the various sections and how far back I need to go, even after reading p 30-32 of the AN guidance (version 01/21).
    Good evening,

We have put together the following resources which should be your starting point.Also refer to this post: Issues, mistakes, errors and ommisions

....and, before going further, you should also be aware of the potential impact on family members you may wish to sponsor in the future.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

I have EUSS and am applying as the wife of a British citizen so my understanding is I need to go back 3 years. However...

For section 3: letters from employers, educational establishments or government departments: can I use either/ all of council tax bills, correspondence from HMRC, correspondence from my kids' school, P60, correspondence from GP for last 3 years? Anything else that can be used like say bank statement?
      We have covered that here: Evidence of residence

...where you'll see:
      • Documentary evidence that indicates presence in the UK during the relevant 3 or 5 years. This can be in the form of letters from employers, educational establishments or other Government Departments. A sample of these documents, at least one from each of the 3 or 5 years, should be submitted.
      • Continued presence in the country can be shown by enclosing lists of attended appointments from GPs, dentist, physiotherapist, dental hygienist and hospital consultant (i.e. hospital appointments).
      • Your children's school attendance records and letters confirming you drop them off and pick them up.
      • Bank and credit card statements showing physical transactions made in the UK.
      • A P60 from an employer would be equivalent to a letter from an employer and Government Department letters could include letters you have received from the DWP, HMRC, DVLA, or any other Government Department.
      Although the Home Office prefers official documents from government departments, if you are unable to provide them, or the other items on the list above, you can send anything that has your name, address and a date on it.

You may want to explain in your cover letter and/or additional information section of the form, why you are unable to provide their preferred evidence.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

For section 4: it asks for 'evidence that you were in the UK in accordance with EEA regulations for a period of 5 years- is this the same documents as the ones for section 3, but just going further back? Would you be able to share what you have used, other than p60 or pay slips?
        You may want to look at this post that explains the ins and outs of lawful residence: Lawful Residence for applicants relying on Settled Status - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

It doesn't have further back, the relevant period for both residence and lawful residence is the last 3 years for applications based on marriage to a British spouse.

In many cases, the same documents would double up as evidence of both, but not always, hence they are mentioned separately.

Comment

For section 10 evidence of NI contributions, am confused as how far this needs to go, is it 3, 5 or 10 years? Is this required for everyone?
          I'm not sure why you are mentioning sections, since the online AN form hasn't got any numbering, you may be looking at the paper form, which isn't exactly the same as the online form you need to use.

You may want to look here: National Insurance Contributions - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families
          orm says that you must provide details of all your NI contributions during the past 10 years and that evidence can be in the form of payslips, P60s covering the relevant period, or letters from employers. Do NI contributions matter?

The amount you have paid does not matter. What matters is that IF you have been employed or self-employed they expect you to have paid the NI due and they may contact HMRC for confirmation of this.

Being without a job (hence without NI contributions) does not stop people from getting British citizenship.
          ...where we have:

Comment

Thank you so much for all this information. I will check all the sections you refer to in your responses.

Just wanted to flag for others, in case they get confused too, that the guidance which, rather confusingly, makes a reference to different section numbers, is actually from a hyperlink in the third tab of the online form called 'documents'.
            This is even though there was no section 10 or any other numbers in the online form and no section 10 on the paper version either (!)
            In addition, when you get to the third tab called 'documents' in the online application there is absolutely nothing asking for NI contributions so I would not have thought of including this in the first place if I hadn't clicked on the hyperlink to the guidance.
            I have enclosed some screenshots so you can see this.

Thanks again for your help!

Best wishes
            Attached Files

Comment

Thank you so much for all this information. I will check all the sections you refer to in your responses.

Just wanted to flag for others, in case they get confused too, that the guidance which, rather confusingly, makes a reference to different section numbers, is actually from a hyperlink in the third tab of the online form called 'documents'.
              This is even though there was no section 10 or any other numbers in the online form and no section 10 on the paper version either (!)
              In addition, when you get to the third tab called 'documents' in the online application there is absolutely nothing asking for NI contributions so I would not have thought of including this in the first place if I hadn't clicked on the hyperlink to the guidance.
              I have enclosed some screenshots so you can see this.

Thanks again for your help!

Best wishes
              Morning,

You don't really need to provide evidence of NICs as such, I believe this was something the old paper form asked for. As you can see, the checklist doesn't ask for it, and I've yet to see anyone being asked to provide that information. You are meant to list all employment on the form itself, so they can check with HMRC that all dues were paid up.

Comment

Working...
              X