Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Success British citizenship by double descent

Good morning wonderful UKCEN team,

I have been following both the FB forums and posted a question back in October about citizenship through double descent. I also remember another forum member asking about it, I seem to remember she was French, and was advised by one of the lawyers that citizenship by double descent was not possible.

So, in February 2018 there was a landmark Supreme Court decision (Scotland vs Romein) which ruled that British citizenship was affected by gender discriminatory laws.
    This means that for those of us born abroad to British mothers, also born abroad, there is now the opportunity to apply for British citizenship through double descent.
    I made my application in June and am now awaiting the decision, though I did receive an email from a Home Office case worker asking me for my mother's full birth certificate in order to complete the application. I wanted to wait til I got a positive answer to my application before I posted, but feel eager to share this information!

I hope this information can be useful to anyone else on the Forum who may be British by double descent.
    Here is a link to the ruling:
    Landmark Supreme Court decision overrules historic gender discrimination in British citizenship - Free Movement

Have a good weekend,

Natalie

Originally posted by ViolaBlue View Post
    Good morning wonderful UKCEN team,

I have been following both the FB forums and posted a question back in October about citizenship through double descent. I also remember another forum member asking about it, I seem to remember she was French, and was advised by one of the lawyers that citizenship by double descent was not possible.

So, in February 2018 there was a landmark Supreme Court decision (Scotland vs Romein) which ruled that British citizenship was affected by gender discriminatory laws.
    This means that for those of us born abroad to British mothers, also born abroad, there is now the opportunity to apply for British citizenship through double descent.
    Good afternoon,

That is brilliant news, thank you for sharing!

I made my application in June and am now awaiting the decision, though I did receive an email from a Home Office case worker asking me for my mother's full birth certificate in order to complete the application.
    Can I just ask what form did you use to apply? UKM?

I wanted to wait til I got a positive answer to my application before I posted, but feel eager to share this information!
    Absolutely! Very glad to see you did!

I hope this information can be useful to anyone else on the Forum who may be British by double descent.
    Here is a link to the ruling:
    Landmark Supreme Court decision overrules historic gender discrimination in British citizenship - Free Movement

Have a good weekend,
    Thanks again!

And don't forget to keep us posted! We are looking forward to your #yay very soon!

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Hallo!

Yes, I used the UKM form to apply and did the biometrics and document scanning at Sopra Steria in Llandudno.
      I followed a few threads on an immigration forum and there have already been quite a few successful applications for citizenship via this route.

Shall definitely keep you posted on this and can give information on the documentation needed!

Comment

Dear Viola Blue,

I am very interested to hear what the outcome was in your case. I was rejected from my attempt at using the UKM form in 2017 and because I was in the middle of moving abroad I didn’t follow it up and instead have now received settled status which I applied for retrospectively last year.
        If there is a possibility to revisit my UKM application or reapply using that route then I very much want to do so.

I really do hope you were successful and look forward to hearing from you here.

Comment

Hi!
          Your application would have been rejected in 2017 because the landmark ruling which then allowed me and others to gain citizenship was in February 2018.
          I did the UKM application online in June 2019, received confirmation that my application was successful in August 2019 and had my citizenship ceremony in October.
          It was very straightforward and together with my application I submitted a letter saying I was applying following the Advocate General for Scotland v Romein [2018] UKSC 6 and gave a very brief summary of my background.

If you need any help/clarifications let me know. My brothers are also about to apply so I will have a refresher of the whole application process!

Comment

That is great news - congratulations! I feel confident I can try again then based on what you say.

Thanks for your quick reply and for the offer of further help/ clarification. I’ll let you know how I get on... good luck to your brothers in their application process!

Comment

Great! Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by BritDaneinDubai View Post
                That is great news - congratulations! I feel confident I can try again then based on what you say.

Thanks for your quick reply and for the offer of further help/ clarification. I’ll let you know how I get on... good luck to your brothers in their application process!
                HAPPY ENDING!!!

Ukcen2021 - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Hi!
                  Your application would have been rejected in 2017 because the landmark ruling which then allowed me and others to gain citizenship was in February 2018.
                  I did the UKM application online in June 2019, received confirmation that my application was successful in August 2019 and had my citizenship ceremony in October.
                  It was very straightforward and together with my application I submitted a letter saying I was applying following the Advocate General for Scotland v Romein [2018] UKSC 6 and gave a very brief summary of my background.

If you need any help/clarifications let me know. My brothers are also about to apply so I will have a refresher of the whole application process!
                  ViolaBlue Any updates about your brothers?

Comment

Good morning!
                    Yes, one of my brothers applied in October 2020 from Italy. It took 7 months from applying to receiving the letter his application was successful (I guess being Covid times). He is now a British citizen following his citizenship ceremony at the British Embassy in Rome His Italian passport (and all the accompanying documents) were only returned after the 7 months, which was the only annoying thing.
                    My younger brother is about to submit his application

Comment

Good morning!
                      Yes, one of my brothers applied in October 2020 from Italy. It took 7 months from applying to receiving the letter his application was successful (I guess being Covid times). He is now a British citizen following his citizenship ceremony at the British Embassy in Rome His Italian passport (and all the accompanying documents) were only returned after the 7 months, which was the only annoying thing.
                      Afternoon,

Lovely to hear this!

And many thanks for the update!

My younger brother is about to submit his application
                      Best of luck and don't forget to keep us posted!

Comment

This is great. We have a similar situation with children being second generation born abroad but from dad's descent, I am Italian with Italian passport. Would this apply to them as well?

Comment

Hi, I'm not sure. I think it depends when your children were born. I think if they're born out of the UK after the 1st January 1983 from a father who was not born in the UK then it's not possible to apply through double descent, unless you have been living in the UK for a 3 year period. Page 12 of this gov.uk document is relevant if your children are under 18:

Link

But like I said, I'm not sure and don't want to give the wrong information.

Comment

Originally posted by Italy2020 View Post
                            This is great. We have a similar situation with children being second generation born abroad but from dad's descent, I am Italian with Italian passport. Would this apply to them as well?
                            Morning,

This can be quite complicated as the devil's in the detail as ViolaBlue has very kindly indicated above. Kindly start a new thread providing full details about the particular circumstances, including places and dates (approximate, i.e. month and year) of birth for the relevant family members, i.e. parents, grandparents and children, so we can look at this in detail.

Comment

Working...
                            X