Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name

Hi,
    I am applying for british citizenship online, but I got stuck on the first question about other names. Before I got married my surname was Göncze, that I used as Goncze because I didn't know I should use as Goencze. So shall I write both type of maiden names in the other name bit and what shall I give as a reason? I've got paperwork where my name is just Goncze, but I guess when I left the country and I used my passport they can see me as Goencze. Many thanks, Eva

Originally posted by Gevab26 View Post
    Hi,
    I am applying for british citizenship online, but I got stuck on the first question about other names. Before I got married my surname was Göncze, that I used as Goncze because I didn't know I should use as Goencze. So shall I write both type of maiden names in the other name bit and what shall I give as a reason? I've got paperwork where my name is just Goncze, but I guess when I left the country and I used my passport they can see me as Goencze. Many thanks, Eva
    This isn't a case where there's been a change of name, just a different spelling of the same name.

If you look at this post: Greek and Cyrillic names, umlauts and hyphens in names - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

...you'll see:

This is common when dealing with translations from a Greek or Cyrillic script. Explain briefly, literally one sentence, then pick whichever spelling you prefer for the form and use that passport for the application.

Umlauts in names or surnames

Try using the Umlaut wherever you can. Where you can't, transcribe it as AE, OE or UE and make reference to Home Office guidance and ICAO rules noted below.

Home Office guidance on names in passports
    Obviously the bit about having two passports doesn't apply here but the principle is the same, it's a matter of writing a brief note about the different spellings, the cover letter can be used for this purpose.

The name provided on the form should be as on your passport, so the naturalisation certificate is issued also under that name, as both documents will be required to apply for your first British passport.

It's not clear from the above whether your passport shows the maiden name mentioned above or not. If not, this would have to be entered on the form under other names, and a note written to explain the discrepancies in spelling as above.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

Working...
    X