Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AN application and Deed Poll

Hello everyone
    My children are currently awaiting their PR (hopefully backdated) and will then go on to apply for AN straight away.
    For two of my children (they are now all over 18 by the way), their first names were changed by deep pool when they were 8 years old (from MD to D, from MI to I). The German authorities did not accept the British Deed Poll document and therefore their passports remained in their old names. But all their documents incl P60's, school letters etc in the UK are in the changed first name, we have nothing at all with their old name.
    The first problem we encountered already was when booking the Life in UK Test. Luckily I read the forum!, so we will now apply instead with their driving licences which have the names as changed by deed poll D and I, and they have documents to prove their address accordingly.
    However - what happens when we apply for AN because their passports have different names from literally all their documents in the UK. Will they accept a covering letter and Deed poll documents to explain this situation? The Life in Uk certificate will show a different name from the passport as well.
    Thank you so much.

Originally posted by moonlight2 View Post
    Hello everyone
    My children are currently awaiting their PR (hopefully backdated) and will then go on to apply for AN straight away.
    For two of my children (they are now all over 18 by the way), their first names were changed by deep pool when they were 8 years old (from (from MD to D, from MI to I). The German authorities did not accept the British Deed Poll document and therefore their passports remained in their old names. But all their documents incl P60's, school letters etc in the UK are in the changed first name, we have nothing at all with their old name.
    The first problem we encountered already was when booking the Life in UK Test. Luckily I read the forum!, so we will now apply instead with their driving licences which have the names as changed by deed poll D and I, and they have documents to prove their address accordingly.
    However - what happens when we apply for AN because their passports have different names from literally all their documents in the UK. Will they accept a covering letter and Deed poll documents to explain this situation? The Life in Uk certificate will show a different name from the passport as well.
    Thank you so much.
    Hello,

The AN form does have questions about other names as noted here: Maiden names or other names on AN application - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

The screenshot below shows what happens when Other is chosen, there is a field to say why the name was changed, i.e. Deed Poll as well as a field to enter the date of the name change. The relevant documents will have to be submitted with the application.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ChangedNames.png Views:	1 Size:	30.7 KB ID:	2655

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

Site Admin could you please edit out the names of the children. Many thanks.

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

Melissa V (lawyer) could you kindly check the information above is correct? Many thanks.

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

Yes, that's correct. Please provide details of their other names and details of the change on the form as above. It is also worth providing an explanation in a covering letter.

I am a Solicitor and Head of Immigration at Wells Burcombe Solicitors LLP, a firm Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority SRA No. 488294. I am also a volunteer with UKCEN, where I provide one-off advice on a pro-bono basis. This advice should not be considered a substitute for formal legal advice. Please see Melissa V for full details.

Comment

Thank you very much, i was worried that HO won't accept Deed Poll and the discrepancy of names in documents and letters, but that's great. Again, thanks for quick reply.

Comment

Working...
            X