Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change of surname

Hi,
    My girlfriend and I are from the EU and have both been living in the UK long enough to apply for citizenship. We also just got married. She is in the process of changing her surname to mine. Should she apply for citizenship before she changes her surname? Would the change of surname affect her rights to remain in future? Hope you can help clarify. Thank you. Best Regards, Stefano

Originally posted by Steo View Post
    Hi,
    My girlfriend and I are from the EU and have both been living in the UK long enough to apply for citizenship.
    Hi,
    Applying for citizenship requires more than just living here long enough, PR or settled status is also required to be able to apply, you may want to look at our overview: Overview of the naturalisation process - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families
    We also just got married. She is in the process of changing her surname to mine. Should she apply for citizenship before she changes her surname? Would the change of surname affect her rights to remain in future? Hope you can help clarify. Thank you. Best Regards, Stefano
    The AN form does ask about previous names, as noted here: Maiden names or other names on AN application - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

thank you, we both have PR. My question is if she applies for citizenship, before she changes her surname, would the change of surname at a later stage have an effect on her rights to stay?

Comment

Site Admin

I am the Group Founder and also an Admin, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and ResponsibilitiesIf you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

thank you, we both have PR. My question is if she applies for citizenship, before she changes her surname, would the change of surname at a later stage have an effect on her rights to stay?
          No, it does not.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

Working...
          X