Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fpn

Hi

I Wonder if I should apply for citizenship through a lawyer. I’m a German national, living in the Uk for 24+ years. PR (Certifying PR) since 2016 and SS for 6 months.

I received an FPN in February 2018 for driving a car without insurance. I had bought a new car in June 2017, which I duly insured. When the insurance came up for renewal in December 2017, by mistake, I insured my previous car, which I‘d sold upon receiving the new car in June 2017. Fact is, I drove a car uninsured, but unintentionally. I have a paper trail of that mess up. I paid the fine and received 6 points on my driving license. I didn’t declare this when applying for SS.

In the ‘Life in the UK’ book ‘driving without insurance’ is mentioned as a ‘serious crime’. I’m now worried that my otherwise straightforward application might be anything but straightforward.

Do you think it would be advisable to employ a lawyer to handle my application?

Thank you so very much for your help.

Originally posted by Bnice2all View Post
    Hi

I Wonder if I should apply for citizenship through a lawyer. I’m a German national, living in the Uk for 24+ years. PR (Certifying PR) since 2016 and SS for 6 months.

I received an FPN in February 2018 for driving a car without insurance. I had bought a new car in June 2017, which I duly insured. When the insurance came up for renewal in December 2017, by mistake, I insured my previous car, which I‘d sold upon receiving the new car in June 2017. Fact is, I drove a car uninsured, but unintentionally. I have a paper trail of that mess up. I paid the fine and received 6 points on my driving license. I didn’t declare this when applying for SS.

In the ‘Life in the UK’ book ‘driving without insurance’ is mentioned as a ‘serious crime’. I’m now worried that my otherwise straightforward application might be anything but straightforward.

Do you think it would be advisable to employ a lawyer to handle my application?

Thank you so very much for your help.
    Morning,

Whether to hire a lawyer or not is entirely up to you, however, lawyers provide various levels of service, from a consultation to full representation, obviously the fees charged also reflect the various levels of service provided, as noted here: Legal Advice - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

Applying through a lawyer means they would do everything for you, rather than just answering a question that could be answered during a consultation.

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Gabriella B Would you be able to assist with this query?

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever now EEA nationals are subject to the same immigration requirements as non EEA nationals and require proof of valid status in the UK.

Comment

Thank you very much, SiteAdmin for your response.

Comment

It is important to see which evidence you have that this was a genuine mistake, and whether this was taken into account when you received your FPN.

If you have good documentary evidence and can also provide an explanation, you may want to try and apply. You need to decide if you want to "risk" wasting the costs of the application in case it is refused, which might be a possibility, but I think that if you show that your lack of insurance was a mistake, and there was no intention to deceive/offend there are chances you will be successful.

I would argue that you did have an insurance at that time (even if applied to the wrong car) and therefore you gained nothing from this situation.

It is up to you if you want a lawyer to deal with your application, the advantage is that a lawyer would know how to argue your case with reference to the relevant rules etc, but of course it would cost you more.

All the best

Gabriella

I am the director of MGBe Legal, an OISC regulated company. I am also a volunteer with UKCEN, where I provide one-off advice on a pro-bono basis. This advice should not be considered a substitute for formal legal advice. Please see Gabriella B for full details.

Comment

Good morning Gabriella,

thank you very much for your reply. I’m inclined to go with representation. I’ll send you an email today or tomorrow to discuss the way forward.

Thanks again!

Comment

Good morning Gabriella,

thank you very much for your reply. I’m inclined to go with representation. I’ll send you an email today or tomorrow to discuss the way forward.

Thanks again!
              I'm assuming you've got Gabriella's details, which can also be found here: Gabriella Bettiga - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

Comment

thank you, look forward to hearing from you

I am the director of MGBe Legal, an OISC regulated company. I am also a volunteer with UKCEN, where I provide one-off advice on a pro-bono basis. This advice should not be considered a substitute for formal legal advice. Please see Gabriella B for full details.

Comment

Working...
                X