Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IELTS our of date and name change

Dear UKCEN team,

I have submitted my application for AN and I have my appointment with UKVAS on the 16th of May. Today I have received an email (please find the pictures attached).

I have recently finished a Bsc (hons) degree but we still don’t have the certificate. What should I do about that (with the given deadline of the 10th of July). Should I ask my university to provide some sort of proof?

As for my name, my Spanish passport will not allow changes in my surname, ideally I would like to carry on with the name on the deed poll. How could I express this concern without causing problems in my application?

Kind regards,

Eluviam.
    Knowledge of English language Confusion about names

Originally posted by Eluviam View Post

Hello,

As for my name, my Spanish passport will not allow changes in my surname, ideally I would like to carry on with the name on the deed poll. How could I express this concern without causing problems in my application?
    We have a post dedicated to name issues involving Spaniards, here: Spanish nationals and surname certificates - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

However, you mention a deed poll, did you change your name to something other than what's on your Spanish passport?

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

I have submitted my application for AN and I have my appointment with UKVAS on the 16th of May. Today I have received an email (please find the pictures attached).

I have recently finished a Bsc (hons) degree but we still don’t have the certificate. What should I do about that (with the given deadline of the 10th of July). Should I ask my university to provide some sort of proof?
      Louis M (lawyer) what would you suggest he submits to satisfy the language requirement?

I am the Site Manager and Webmaster, please refer to our Admin Team, Roles and Responsibilities. If you think we have helped in any way, please support us so we can keep helping others secure their status, it is now more important than ever as the deadline approaches.

Comment

Originally posted by Site Admin View Post

We have a post dedicated to name issues involving Spaniards, here: Spanish nationals and surname certificates - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

However, you mention a deed poll, did you change your name to something other than what's on your Spanish passport?
        Thank you for your reply. I have looked at the document, however I’m confused on what is it trying to say. Should I ask for that law to be translated and send by the 10th of July? Or should I just reply to have the certificate sent in my old name?

My name changed completely in my deed poll, only remaining my old name in my Spanish passport. I hold every other document with my name as stated in the deed poll.

Comment

Thank you for your reply. I have looked at the document, however I’m confused on what is it trying to say. Should I ask for that law to be translated and send by the 10th of July? Or should I just reply to have the certificate sent in my old name?

My name changed completely in my deed poll, only remaining my old name in my Spanish passport. I hold every other document with my name as stated in the deed poll.
          I'm afraid the document in question only refers to the Spanish custom of using two surnames rather than names that were changed by deed poll. As they say in the letter, if the naturalisation certificate is issued in a different name from the one on your Spanish passport, then you could have problems when you apply for your first British passport.

Louis M (lawyer) Would you kindly also comment on this. Thanks.

Comment

2 possible options re English language:

1. If you have you degree results, then the HO will accept an original of either

a) An academic reference from the academic institution on official letter headed paper the reference must show:
            o the applicant's name o the title of award
            o that the qualification was taught in English
            o when the academic qualification has been, or will be awarded o the date the certificate will be issued (if the applicant has not yet graduated) confirms the institution is unable to re-issue the original certificate of award

or

b) An academic transcript on official letter headed paper - the transcript must show:
            o the applicant's name
            o the name of the academic institution
            o the course title
            o that the qualification was taught in English
            o confirmation of the award

or failing that

2. You could see whether it's possible to sit the B1 test at an approved test centre:

Link

Phone the test proider to see whether you can get the certificate issued in time. If not consider sitting the test anyway - and writing to HO with evidence that you have enrolled to take the test, requesting an extension of X to provide the test report.

I am an immigration solicitor regulated by the Law Society of England and Wales.  I work at Truth Legal Solicitors where I am Head of Immigration. I am also a volunteer with UKCEN, where I provide one-off advice on a pro-bono basis. This advice should not be considered a substitute for formal legal advice. Please see Louis M for full details.

Comment

Dear Louis M ,

Please find the letter with the information my University has provided. I have also emailed the Head of the Faculty to ask for a personalized letter explaining the situation. In case they are unable to provide me with one, or you may consider it insufficient, I will have to do the English exam (my results of the Academic IELTS being 7 overall and out of date, the life skills exam should be easy enough, however it is annoying to pay £175 for it).

In the second part of the post I disclosed another problem I was having with the name. What is your advice regarding this? Keep the original spanish name and disregard the deed poll certificate? Or to ask the certificate to be issued in my current name?

Many thanks for your reply and I look forward from hearing from you.

Kind regards,
              Eluviam.
              Attached Files

Comment

Please find the letter with the information my University has provided. I have also emailed the Head of the Faculty to ask for a personalized letter explaining the situation. In case they are unable to provide me with one, or you may consider it insufficient, I will have to do the English exam (my results of the Academic IELTS being 7 overall and out of date, the life skills exam should be easy enough, however it is annoying to pay £175 for it).
                If you are going to book an English test, make sure it's the right one, the fee is £150 not £175 so you may be looking at the wrong test. See: Booking your language test - UKCEN Citizenship and Residence for European Nationals and their families

Comment

Sorry, my mistake. Thank you clarifying that Site Admin.

Comment

Hello,

Since the last reply and having not received an answer, I have been checking to do the exam. I am quite confused as of the test price. The price vary. On the page of the British Council, the price is £175.

Take IELTS in the UK | Take IELTS

Tomorrow I'll be looking into this and I need to make a decision soon. Please get back to me as soon as possible!

Please also look into my other query. Thank you!

Comment

Hello,

Since the last reply and having not received an answer, I have been checking to do the exam. I am quite confused as of the test price. The price vary. On the page of the British Council, the price is £175.

Take IELTS in the UK | Take IELTS

Tomorrow I'll be looking into this and I need to make a decision soon. Please get back to me as soon as possible!
                      The post I linked to above has the following information:

You need to book either: Direct link to IELTS Life Skills B1 test centres: UKVI - United Kingdom
                      If you click on the link I have highlighted above, it takes you to this page: UKVI - United Kingdom

Click on any of the test centres listed and you get:

IELTS Life Skills fee
                      GBP 150
                      So it looks like you may be looking at the wrong test.

Comment

Please also look into my other query. Thank you!
                        Gabriella B (laywer) As Louis who kindly responded above, is away at the moment, would you be able to assist with this query? Thanks.

Comment

The name issue is complex. In some countries it is very difficult to change name and people who change their names in the UK have problems having their EEA passport amended to reflect their new name.

If you changed your name by deed poll, you are not supposed to use your “old” name. However, if you cannot change your name in your Spanish passport this is difficult not to use it ( how do you travel otherwise?)

When I encounter this situation I usually discuss with my clients how important is to keep the new name bearing in mind that:

1) the UKVI will probably use the name on your EEA passport to issue a naturalisation certificate. What name have they used in you PR document?
                          2) if you obtain a certificate of naturalisation with the new name, you will not be able to obtain a British passport because HMPO do not issue passports with names different from the one appearing on any other passport the applicant may have.

Some situations are different, depending in whether there is a specific reason why someone changed name ( for example if one changed their gender etc)

I am the director of MGBe Legal, an OISC regulated company. I am also a volunteer with UKCEN, where I provide one-off advice on a pro-bono basis. This advice should not be considered a substitute for formal legal advice. Please see Gabriella B for full details.

Comment

Array
                            Last edited by Eluviam; 01-07-2019, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Array
                              This seems to be a forum glitch that has happened to other posters when they tried to quote our lawyers, would you mind re-posting what you were tying to say without quoting?

Comment

Working...
                              X